PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Hub issue

skifalls
13-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Hi Guys, looking for some guidance on what could be wrong with my Lowrance HDS8 not being able to see the Sonic Hub via NMEA 2K.

** Note this issue occurred straight after a software update to both the HDS and SonicHub units
*** have spoken to Navico support (multiple times) and they believe the issues to possibly be a faulty cable and nothing to do with the software update, need to verify this

Some details on the setup..,,,

Bacbone 1
EP 650r
EP 85r
External GPS antenna
Looks like icommand guage 1
Looks like icommand guage 2
One to power
One somewhere else, maybe engine?

Backbone2
3 t connectors
Hds8 Gen2
Sonic hub
One to power

Some details on what I have tried so far....

- checked backbone 2 to ensure 12v from pins 3/4, this was ok
- pluged HDS8 into Backbone 1 and did a device list refresh to see if I could see anything on this backbone
- unplugged a device on backbone 1 and swapped HDS cable, again did a device refresh. Could not see external GPS
- checked plug that goes into a SonicHub and there is power

Now my questions?

1. Why would the antenna be on a separate network to the HDS unit ( discovered this when I was checking the setup) . nothing to do with the issue but something which appears NQR

2. Does this sound like a cabling issue, seems odd if the HDS unit cant see any devices in either backbone despite switching cables?

3. Where to next?

Cheers
Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottar
13-10-2014, 09:11 PM
I will take a punt and say you have an E-Tec. You will have the network that was fitted with the engine that will incorporate a puck style GPS antenna so that the fuel economy calculations will work regardless of whether your hds unit is on or not. The HDS has it's own internal antenna and as such will function independantly. Doing this also eliminates any customer queries about gauges staying on with engines shut down or the requirement for a power split in the backbone. I think in the early days there were some funny software goings on if you had any more than one GPS on a network.

As for the problem with the sonic hub - if it worked before the software update but not after, I would be thinking that either the software isn't quite right (not unusual with Navico) or there is a setting that was reset in the process of doing the update that needs correcting.

skifalls
14-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah that is was I was thinking too, guys at Navico support wanted cabling checked as last option prior to sending it back. Thanks mate. Oh and yes correct about the Evinrude, forgot to mention that

Moonlighter
14-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Why do you have 2 separate networks, which seems to be the case if I understand you correctly? One of the advantages of NMEA2000 networks is that you can have everything on one network to keep things simple and ensure interconnectivity.

scottar
15-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Why do you have 2 separate networks, which seems to be the case if I understand you correctly? One of the advantages of NMEA2000 networks is that you can have everything on one network to keep things simple and ensure interconnectivity.

Unfortunately Moonlighter, not all of the installers are totally familiar with NMEA2000 and the capabilities/idiosyncracies of the system. This is not necessarily their fault - they had NMEA2000 thrust upon them by the manufacturers and most outboard mechanics didn't really want anything to do with it. In the early days there were also issues with software when you ran two GPS sources. Even though you could select in the software which GPS was used for each device, there was a conflict and the gps would keep dropping in and out. People would come to us complaining their gauges would stay on when the engine was shut down or their GPS antenna would shut off when the engine ignition was turned off. Now you can buy proper fittings to break the 12 volt in the backbone to sort this out but in the early days we would fit a short cable in the middle with the power wire cut - this went against all the literature though - having two seperate power sources for a backbone and as such, if you weren't electronically savy and had to purely follow the instructions, two seperate networks was the only option to sort this out.

skifalls
15-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I think the reason for the two separate backbone is space, original with 7 t connectors are quite long. Later I added the sonic hub which required a starter kit so it was installed separately most likely due to space.

Is the separate hockey puc gos antenna going to give me a better GPS reading than the internal, and if space is limited I assume there are other method than a T connector to join networks?

scottar
15-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Backbone's can be seperated with a cable to allow for easier installation. There are also multi - connection T's and hub style units available from the likes of Maretron or Furuno but they can be pretty pricey. Some of the newer GPS pucks are giving a faster update rate I am lead to believe but I have been out of the game for a bit now and can't confirm whether this actually translates into any sort of practicle advantage for the average user. I have seen comments that for use on speedo readouts for tournament wake boats and the like that the faster update is an advantage. Take a look at the specs for the receiver in the HDS and the puck and see if there is much difference.

burleygu
19-10-2014, 05:35 PM
try switching out your t connectors I have had 2 faulty ones.

skifalls
20-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, it was easier to take it into my local marine shop and test it out there. And the bad new is faulty, will see how I go with Navico.

Thanks also to the guys at CH Smith Collingwood!