PDA

View Full Version : What Fish is This

dbates
13-10-2014, 02:33 PM
HI all, can someone tell us what fish these are, (see attached) caught Caloundra Wide 11/10/2014105812

aussiebasser
13-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Caesio teres Blue and yellow fusilier

Are they still totally protected?

aussiebasser
13-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Also known as Yellow and Blueback Fusilier and Yellow-tail Fusilier.

Found singly or in groups, sometimes mixed with other species in lagoons or steep slopes and drop off's.
Varies in colour from blue to red with night and day.
They feed on zooplankton.
Legal Length - 40cm
Depth - 5-50m
Widespread Indo-Pacific

Fusiliers are close relatives of snappers, but are much smaller and more slender.
Schools of fusiliers often have other species mixed in.
Although their colour is predominately yellow/blue, at night and when resting their colours change to red/green.

Aussie123
13-10-2014, 03:07 PM
As mentioned it is a Fusiler
They have no bag limit or size limit and are not protected.
They are a very common fish.

Zippidy
13-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Also called a Parramatta Fish :-)

Dignity
13-10-2014, 04:53 PM
There was an abundance of them on 9 mile on the weekend mixed in with a lot of yakkas, never seen so many, the yakkas and fusileers were hitting every thing, I had to give up using SP's as I was going to run out at the rate they were being chewed up

dbates - how did you end up, we got a feed of tuskies, the odd pearlie a parrot and 3 cobes but we had to work hard for them because we couldn't get past the yakkas.

Dogtoooth
13-10-2014, 05:06 PM
HI all, can someone tell us what fish these are, (see attached) caught Caloundra Wide 11/10/2014105812

Another name: Red Bellied Fusilier.

dbates
14-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks all, they don't taste bad either, found best to remove skin as it curls up a lot when cooking.

Camhawk88
14-10-2014, 09:34 AM
There was an abundance of them on 9 mile on the weekend mixed in with a lot of yakkas, never seen so many, the yakkas and fusileers were hitting every thing, I had to give up using SP's as I was going to run out at the rate they were being chewed up

dbates - how did you end up, we got a feed of tuskies, the odd pearlie a parrot and 3 cobes but we had to work hard for them because we couldn't get past the yakkas.

Next time, whack em on a hook Digger. Not much around with teeth that wont eat a live fussie. They go good as strips too. Trout love em but you probably dont get many down as far south as you.

BLOOEY
19-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks all, they don't taste bad either, found best to remove skin as it curls up a lot when cooking.
Probably shouldn't eat what you can't identify dbates. You may come off seccond best one day. Pretty fish though.