PDA

View Full Version : Boat theft tracking

jmwarner
09-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Found a product due to be released in Jan next year called trackR looks like it could be good for the boat mainly because it could be hidden anywhere and thieves would have a tough time finding it (inside seats, foam ect.). Just concerned about the battery life so might be worth waiting until they are out for a bit but would be handy around the house as well.

http://www.thetrackr.com/

TheRealAndy
09-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I have had 2 motorcycles stolen in 3 years. I am very over it. LAst bike that was stolen I bought a GPS tracker for the replacement but never fitted it. My commuter bike was stolen about 6 weeks ago, so I bought a small GPS tracker for its replacement. I am in the process of fitting it now. I am also going to fit the other other GPS tracker that I bought to my touring bike.

I shall report back. The Tracker in my commuter bike cost $70. It needs a sim card, but when I got my cable/foxtel package from telstra at the new house I got a 500mb/month SIM, so I am going to use that.

astro66
10-10-2014, 05:27 AM
well it will be useless ? you have to be in range or use "crowd gps" meaning someone else with the app will have to be near it....no in built gps ....handy for finding the car keys at home...not much else

jmwarner
10-10-2014, 07:12 AM
That's the main problem I had with it. Only works if a lot of people get on board and download the app which they wouldn't unless they have the product. Might be better to wait until they are in use a bot and hopefully they will bring out a better system or drastically increase the range.

Crunchy
10-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Agree, not at all suitable for tracking vehicles / boats etc

Keevers88
10-10-2014, 09:22 AM
There is pet trackers on ebay for sale, worth a look, they come with a sim card all you do is ring the number of the sim in the gps when you can't find the item that it is attached to, the gps beeps twice or something then relays gps coordinates every few seconds to an app on your phone well worth it in my opinion