PDA

View Full Version : Sea Jay foward storage fuel tank and battery !!! Is there a danger of fire/explosion

NEW HORIZONS
08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
I have a 4.4 mtr Sea Jay Territory, which comes with the fuel tank cradle and battery cradle both in the forward hatch with no physical separation of the voids, I have just installed a sealed agm deep cycle battery in the forward cradle and fitted a ctek comfort connector , I am reluctant to have a fuel tank in the same void and have two fuel tanks strapped to the open main floor area one is rear left the other forward center which I will only use as a reserve tank when on full day trips.

Am I being over cautious or is there a risk factor having the battery and fuel in the same enclosed voids Any comments welcome

Cheers Terry

chris69
08-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Common sence says no why put 2 sides of a fire triangle together,felling safe is the best bet to avoid a slim chance of something happening.

peterbo3
08-10-2014, 10:36 AM
There could be a problem if you shorted the battery to the alloy hull by accident & there were petrol fumes present. Used to be a major cause of explosions/fires on carby inboard engines when a spark from the blower or starter motor would ignite fumes under the engine cover.
I don't think that you are being over cautious. Stuff can happen on the water & it is better to be safe than sorry.

aussiebasser
08-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Just about every tinnie in the past has had racks for the fuel tank and the batteries at the rear. All of my boats have had that. My current Stratos has three batteries right beside the 120lt fuel tank, my Stacer has two batteries right beside the 20lt portable tank. As long as normal precautions are taken to avoid sparks I'm not sure what the issue is. There must be thousands of tinnies out there with batteries beside fuel tanks.

Seahorse
08-10-2014, 12:49 PM
What if battery is in those sealed plastic battery box.

aussiebasser
08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Never seal a normal battery in an unventilated box. It's OK with a proper sealed battery, but not a standard battery.

Camhawk88
08-10-2014, 02:08 PM
I would be moving it. Combining a battery and a fuel tank in an enclosed space is a recipe for disaster. Just because some people get away with it doesn't make it a good idea.

aussiebasser
08-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Guys, fuel vapours are heavier than air, and they sink. In a tinnie, there are no sealed off spaces to separate the battery and the fuel tank unless the fuel tank is vented to the outside. The only thing you can do is keep the battery in a box. When is the last time you heard of a Quintrex Hornet blowing up?

Crocodile
08-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Hello New Horizons,
For mine, I would be wary of having a fuel tank in a poorly ventilated area where the fumes may concentrate near a source of spark or travel back under the floor to an electric bilge pump, (another potential source of spark).
The reason why aft tanks don't explode is that they are well ventilated and the fumes do not concentrate to dangerous levels.
Send us a photo of the deck layout.
It may be better to move the battery to under the console or similar.
This is a very interesting thread, thanks for posting.

Seahorse
08-10-2014, 06:29 PM
The battery box is the plastic box with a lid that comes standard with the boat. Mine is about 2 ft from fuel tank

captain rednut
08-10-2014, 07:42 PM
NOT to mention that is against the Australian standards and its defiantly not common sense to have a battery in a fuel cell.

NEW HORIZONS
09-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Seahorse,

Are they togather in a sealed hatch area ?

NEW HORIZONS
09-10-2014, 05:55 AM
Mine layout is not a custom fit out, the purpose built fuel and battery cradles are standard Sea Jay Territory fitment?

NEW HORIZONS
09-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Crocodile

I have yet to learn the fine art of uploading a pic attached to an Ausfish post

Cheers Terry

Seahorse
09-10-2014, 08:41 AM
I have 2 hatches on the renegade 420. One for the fuel then another hatch beside it, different opening.

docaster
09-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Need pics, but ventilation is the key.

docaster
09-10-2014, 09:29 AM
?????? No standards for Aussie boat building??

The Woo
09-10-2014, 09:51 AM
A bilge pump is at FAR more risk of sparking an explosion than a properly secured battery.
Also, the C-Tek battery charger can be safely connected and disconnected without fear of any spark - these are a very smart unit and are designed to not, and will not spark, unlike most normal chargers.
If you decide to mount a normal lead acid style battery in a typical black battery box to make it safe from shorting on the top side, drill a couple of holes low down in the box to allow water and gas to escape.

I for one am FAR more concerned with fuel vapour low in the hull when operating the bilge pump than I am with any gasses or sparks from a well ventilated and properly secured battery, and have no qualms mounting a battery near to a fuel tank.

NEW HORIZONS
09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks to all for your imput , for now at least I will use the forward fuel hatch to store gear ,life jackets ect,and keep the fuel tanks on the open deck area

Cheers Terry

aussiebasser
09-10-2014, 12:11 PM
As long as you use rated shackles, they should be fine there.

scorpo92
09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
As long as you use rated shackles, they should be fine there.
Dont forget the trailer net too.

aussiebasser
09-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Dont forget the trailer net too.

I was assuming he already knew about having them covered with a volleyball net and hanging an old Hi Vis vest off them.

captain rednut
09-10-2014, 09:43 PM
?????? No standards for Aussie boat building??

Yes there are standards but many choose not to follow them here in OZ

Fed
10-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Do you know what the standard number is rednut?

It's my understanding following Aust Standards is not a legal requirement unless mandated by a third party?

IE in NSW the RMS would have to say all boats must comply with AS:XXXX.
That may well be the case for all I know, interesting topic.

captain rednut
11-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Fed
Yes i do know the standards very well as i follow them in my business and no its not mandatory to apply them but there are reasons we all should read them and consider using them as most rules are practical but not always in every situation. Common sense is the biggest problem i see, Like bow mounted batteries that aren't secured properly and fuel tanks stored in the same locker with no ventilation.

Fed
11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks rednut I was actually after the Standard number?
100% agree with your post.

My take so far is Terry proposed a tank that only vents into the enclosed void, a battery albeit sealed that can still vent into the same void and potential ignition sources from battery connections.

Not an ideal situation in my books.

captain rednut
11-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Sorry Fed its AS1799

madmaskbass
12-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I am in the same boat that I really need to store the fuel tank with the battery in the front deck my theory is that my dodgey old carby v8 and battery all lived under the bonnet trouble free for many many years no problem. I know these are very different environments but I think with the listed precautions will be fine. I'm thinking agm battery in a battery box and extra divider to separate the compartments and a fully ventilated and sealed fuel tank should limit the risks.