PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Coke

littlejim
06-10-2014, 04:06 PM
On the bottom of my Woolies petrol receipt I noticed a bit saying that I could get 40% off a pack of 8x200ml coke cans if I presented the receipt.

As coke is the favoured brew for the fishing trips I went into the Woolies shop, and got the pack of coke, (the label said 2 for $8 but I wanted only one).

At the register the bar code didn’t work. Eventually somebody in the know said I had to buy it at the petrol station.

At the petrol station I found the coke cost $9.99 for the pack, when he scanned the receipt it came down to $5.99

Out of interest I went back to Woolies, lifted the 2 for $8 label, and found the price was $5.99 for one pack.

If that’s not a scam, it is pretty close to it.

Caveat emptor etc.

shaungonemad
06-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Yeah I dont even bother with wollies anymore to many dramas.

Luc
06-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Common sales tactics.
When I see those specials, I lift the specials label to check the normal price.

SHOOTER1
06-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Report it to the Department of Fair Trading. Too much of this going on by the Big boys. Will get worse when all the Independents are gone.

Horse
07-10-2014, 07:25 AM
You can't expect to get bargain prices at a convenience outlet. I would hope to buy all of my products much cheaper at a supermarket than at a servo or corner store

the gecko
07-10-2014, 10:11 AM
was one refrigerated, and one wasnt?

sharkymark2
07-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Probably the use by date at the servo is getting long in the tooth. They don't give anything away for free.

sparkyice
08-10-2014, 04:46 AM
i worked for a contractor once that had a service agreement with the local coke distributor. we were installing outlets for new coke machines to be plugged into. the new machines were equiped with a thermometer in them to monitor the outdoor temp.
as the outside temp went down, so did the price, as fewer people would buy coke on a chilly day. they wanted to increase sales on those days.
conversely, as the temp went up, so did the price.
i don't drink much soda anyway, so it didn't really affect me but it seemed kind of underhanded somehow.
caveat emptor for sure.

TheRealAndy
08-10-2014, 07:39 PM
i worked for a contractor once that had a service agreement with the local coke distributor. we were installing outlets for new coke machines to be plugged into. the new machines were equiped with a thermometer in them to monitor the outdoor temp.
as the outside temp went down, so did the price, as fewer people would buy coke on a chilly day. they wanted to increase sales on those days.
conversely, as the temp went up, so did the price.
i don't drink much soda anyway, so it didn't really affect me but it seemed kind of underhanded somehow.
caveat emptor for sure.

I dont think they did that in Australia, but it was trialled in Brazil and the US. Was all good to the hackers found the temp sensors and made them cold! I thought in brazil it was opposite though, hot day lowerd the price.. Apparently in Japan they do the same, but its controlled via internet.

There was also talk of them adjusting price based on demand. Ie, peak period at the train station = maximum prices. Not sure that one actually got of the ground though.

Noelm
09-10-2014, 06:13 AM
I can't see where there is any scam as such, no one has advertised a false price or offered goods and did not deliver, they are simply advertising and relying on people wanting to cash in on a special deal, how "special" the deal is matters little.

NArmstrong
09-10-2014, 09:03 AM
The servo special was only in relation to the price offered at the servo. Comparing it to a supermarket is like buying a Maine lobster in Australia and expecting it to be the same price as they are in Maine USA. There are additional shipping and handling charges, plus shelving space is at a premium in a servo.

JEWIENEWIE
09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I was in Woollies once with the father inlaw who is tighter than a fishes you know what. We walked past the deli section and he noticed that the price on chicken kebabs said .99 a Kilo. Should of been .99 a kebab. He inquired if the price was correct and the attendants resoponse was sorry that is wrong, should say .99 each not a kilo. The mangaer over heard the issue as my father in law said they must honour it to which the manger agreed to as he changed the price, "how many do you want". "5 Kilos thanks" was my father in laws response. We ate those bloody things for weeks !!!!!
JN

aussiebasser
09-10-2014, 01:46 PM
I was in Woollies once with the father inlaw who is tighter than a fishes you know what. We walked past the deli section and he noticed that the price on chicken kebabs said .99 a Kilo. Should of been .99 a kebab. He inquired if the price was correct and the attendants resoponse was sorry that is wrong, should say .99 each not a kilo. The mangaer over heard the issue as my father in law said they must honour it to which the manger agreed to as he changed the price, "how many do you want". "5 Kilos thanks" was my father in laws response. We ate those bloody things for weeks !!!!!
JN
I could eat the Honey Soy Kebabs for weeks, no problems, but, you shouldn't refreeze things, and they have been frozen once.

JEWIENEWIE
09-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Mate,
You have never had a bbq with him cooking, everything gets charcoaled, nothing could survive what he does to meat on a bbq. It makes an ex chef like myself cry
Jn

TheRealAndy
09-10-2014, 11:07 PM
I could eat the Honey Soy Kebabs for weeks, no problems, but, you shouldn't refreeze things, and they have been frozen once.

I refreeze shit all the time!! My rule with meat is if its been defrosted in the fridge and not been allowed to come to room temp, then its good to go back in the freezer! Obviously the finer cuts of beef will suffer, but who refreezes a good steak :) Fish is also a no no, but I hate freezing fresh fish period.

I also freeze fully cooked meals, aka stews and casseroles etc. Reheat in microwave for lunch yeah baby, beats Vegemite sandwiches!

McKnight
10-10-2014, 08:48 AM
My rule is once it's defrosted it must be cooked before being frozen again. Being defrosted in the fridge would be good for preventing bacteria growth as it stays in the safe temperature.

littlejim
11-10-2014, 01:32 PM
The servo special was only in relation to the price offered at the servo. Comparing it to a supermarket is like buying a Maine lobster in Australia and expecting it to be the same price as they are in Maine USA. There are additional shipping and handling charges, plus shelving space is at a premium in a servo.

The servo is actually much closer than Maine and Oz are.
It is across the road.