PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tab advice

kc
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Looking at retro fitting trim tabs to a 6 meter US centre console (Trophy 1903) as part of an overall refit adding an 80 lb Min-kotta I.pilot as well. Are trim tabs worth the $$ in respect of improved ride. These boats are too "fat" across the bow and don't have sufficient V to deal with our chop. Great boat to fish out of but don't want to spend the money if I'm not going to improve the ride. I have trim tabs on our big boat and love them but chop doesn't worry it in any case. The tabs are more about balance on the big boat but I'm looking to see if I can improve ride in the 6 meter as well as conteracting the weight of min-kotta and batteries. Any thoughts?

kc

Noelm
05-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Not too sure how much improvement in ride you will get.

scottar
05-10-2014, 03:11 PM
If the boat has a tendancy to run bow up and therefore not use the V to it's full extent, you will see an improvement. They should also allow you to travel a bit slower and still be on plane - another way to improve the ride. I certainly noticed with my Seafarer Victory that after fitting tabs I can push harder into chop - the bow feels as if it is "glued down" and as such doesn't leave the water at the crest of a swell and slap down on the other side.