PDA

View Full Version : Rated Shackles

banshee
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
If travelling to or through NSW make sure the shackles on your boat=trailer and trailer-car connections are rated and stamped to the max gvm and boat weight.Been a blitz on lately with some very hefty fines handed out. Probably always been the case but I have been unaware of it.

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I think the last rumour said it had to be 1.5 times the gvm. They must have eased it a bit.

Fed
03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Make it stop!

scorpo92
03-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Funny stuff

Crunchy
03-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Its double the fine if no cargo net as well.

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Its double the fine if no cargo net as well.

Funny, I just drove around Victoria and NSW there wasn't a bloody volleyball net to seen on the back of a ute, or a hi vest over a prop!

Barry Ehsman
03-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Around here every man & his dog has a net on their ute, the cops have been fining for not having them on..

Zippidy
03-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Around here every man & his dog has a net on their ute, the cops have been fining for not having them on..

Have you been done for it?

I don't have a net over my ute and been driving it around for years and never had an issue.

Most of my mates are tradies and they don't cover theirs....

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 05:12 PM
I was told that a friend of a friend of a friend got two fines for having his pair of work boots in the back of his ute, one for each boot.............

Gon Fishun
03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I was told that a friend of a friend of a friend got two fines for having his pair of work boots in the back of his ute, one for each boot.............

I was told it was a pair of thongs by my son's brother inlaw's first uncle on his grandmothers side.

Crunchy
03-10-2014, 05:24 PM
That's nothing, I know a guy who got fined for each loose item in his ute, unfortunately he'd spilt a bucket of sand....

banshee
03-10-2014, 05:40 PM
My mate got done $150 for a bag of cement in the back of his ute (unrestrained load) and the farmer down the road got the same for a pair of rubber boots.Went to auto barn to get a rated shackle and they were out of 1.5t,bloke there said the cops have been putting the cleaners through everyone,might be bullshit,don't know.I have been waiting two days for a response from Roads and Maritime so as to have something in writing but no joy yet.Interestingly I passed a cop this morning on the way to town who had a box trailer pulled over,he seemed interested in the tow ball area of the vehicle,that is he was bent over it having a play,but don't personaly know of anyone coping the touted $450 fine.

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 05:45 PM
There is no law, there is a recommendation, if you get booked, take it to court. Do a Google search on it.

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/warning-the-‘d’-shackle-scam-in-qld-45284

Gon Fishun
03-10-2014, 06:03 PM
My mate got done $150 for a bag of cement in the back of his ute (unrestrained load) and the farmer down the road got the same for a pair of rubber boots.Went to auto barn to get a rated shackle and they were out of 1.5t,bloke there said the cops have been putting the cleaners through everyone,might be bullshit,don't know.I have been waiting two days for a response from Roads and Maritime so as to have something in writing but no joy yet.Interestingly I passed a cop this morning on the way to town who had a box trailer pulled over,he seemed interested in the tow ball area of the vehicle,that is he was bent over it having a play,but don't personaly know of anyone coping the touted $450 fine.

Was this the bloke?

Fillet`n`Release
03-10-2014, 06:16 PM
That's very interesting, I didn't bother to read legislation regarding the whole "D shackle" kerfuffle in recent days. According to aussiebasser's link, the D shackle merely needs to be "fit for purpose", that it's strength is compatible with the safety chain attached to the trailer. There is a caveat, but it still gives no open slather excuse for cops to carte' blanche' book people who don't have standardized or stamped shackles.

* “D” Shackles that do not have any markings make it difficult to identify there source and strength and may raise questions during any roadside audit by enforcement officers.

Sure as hell I'd be challenging any copper on the roadside trying to book me. Especially when you want to quote legislation, and remind him that he's going to have to waste his time going to court and most likely losing and wasting precious time and paperwork, and perhaps he/she needs to brush up on actual traffic legislation.

I've just recently helped a friend with an infringement, when she was stuck in a lane merge with a No Stopping sign. The Infringement quoted "Under no circumstances is stopping permitted" to which I pointed to legislation that permits stopping when there is traffic in the adjacent lane which doesn't permit a safe maneuver to pull out of the next lane, thus making the allegation of the "no stopping under any circumstances" false :) These pricks just like to try and loosely quote the rules and hope the ignorant people just pay up to fill the coffers.

Barry Ehsman
03-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Have you been done for it?

I don't have a net over my ute and been driving it around for years and never had an issue.

Most of my mates are tradies and they don't cover theirs....
No mate I havn't but a couple of builder's down here (NSW) Have, as well as a bloke with a load of wood, cost him quite a bit.. It's no good saying you have been driving around for YEAR'S because it has only just come in lately & I wouldn't try it here..

scorpo92
03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
No mate I havn't but a couple of builder's down here (NSW) Have, as well as a bloke with a load of wood, cost him quite a bit.. It's no good saying you have been driving around for YEAR'S because it has only just come in lately & I wouldn't try it here..
A bloke with a load of wood should be fined for no net. As with anyone carting garden waste or rubbish with no net.

banshee
03-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Finely found the towing regs for NSW and it states quite clearly that all couplings must be capable of taking the full stated trailer GVM.It also states that all couplings SHOULD be marked with the maker and rated loads.It also states that the chain must comply with Australian standards.How do you work that out if it's not stamped?I'm in town again tomorrow might slip up and see the cops.

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 09:07 PM
The NSW rules don't mention shackles. It's just another Internet scam.

banshee
03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
The NSW rules don't mention shackles. It's just another Internet scam.
That's right,which is why you need to get the definition of a coupling.Once you have it you will see there is no need to mention the word shackle.

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
The coupling is the bit that goes over the ball. They have a rating cast into them, but you go ahead and buy new shackles too.

Fed
03-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Make it stop!

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Make it stop!
I tried, but it's strong with this one.

astro66
03-10-2014, 10:31 PM
My aunties grandmothers budgie was booked for a tallyho paper unsecured in the back of her 120y.... ....deadly Aparently ....

aussiebasser
03-10-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?198902-Rated-shackles-now-a-legal-requirement-when-towing&highlight=Rated+shackles

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?199382-Queensland-towing-regs-rated-shackles-required&highlight=Rated+shackles

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?199829-Load-rated-shackle-fines&highlight=Rated+shackles

its like the Energiser Bunny.

banshee
03-10-2014, 10:42 PM
A coupling by definition is 'a device for connecting parts of machinery'.The chain and shackle are indeed couplings wether you wish to acknowledge it or not.Regardless,if spending twenty bucks is going to be the difference between me coping grief,getting a fine,leaving my boat or box trailer on the side of the road or politely being thanked and told to have a nice day.....Guess what?....I'm getting the efen shackles.Don't worry though I wont bore or antagonise you or anyone else with what I find out tomorrow,I'm sure your QLD law will work just fine down here I just thought spending a few bucks might save you all a bit of grief if your down this way,but in reality I don't really care.Good luck with the great shackle conspiracy....my last words on the subject.

BigE
04-10-2014, 05:32 AM
please forgive my ignorance but what is this man doing to his coupling, could he be charged for it ? should he be abjusting those nuts with a tool? BigEhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105700&d=1412323175&thumb=1 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105700&d=1412323375)

Feral
04-10-2014, 05:51 AM
If you want rated shackles, buy them off ebay, cost me about $3 each delivered as I bought a few (and yes it was Australian company in Victoria).

2 tonne S units.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251612607016?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

750kg S units

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111326825564?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

If you buy them at repco supercheap etc etc, they are stinging people $8 to $10 each!

Oh, and here is the link to where the police in Qld indicate rated shackles are not required, only recommended. (Which from my point of view means if your using a trailer for work, best get rated shackles than go through having to explain to a judge why you have not followed TMR recommendations in the event of something happening)

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/townsville/2014/08/08/myth-changes-requirements-shackles-used-towing-trailer/

ifishcq1
04-10-2014, 01:54 PM
please forgive my ignorance but what is this man doing to his coupling, could he be charged for it ? should he be abjusting those nuts with a tool? BigEhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105700&d=1412323175&thumb=1 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105700&d=1412323375)

he should be fined just for being DH enough to hang balls from his tow bar

littlejim
04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
The rest of us only have one tow ball.

ifishcq1
05-10-2014, 12:05 PM
maybe he is underated in other areas

Barry Ehsman
05-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Talking to the cop's on the Police boat at Copeton dam today & they said there is no law on rated shackel's

Crunchy
05-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Well glad we cleared that up.

Crunchy
05-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Until next time anyway

Gon Fishun
06-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Yeah, fencing wire's not allowed. Get a shackle.

scottar
06-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, fencing wire's not allowed. Get a shackle.

But what if the fencing wire is load rated and stamped;D

aussiebasser
06-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Mods, Steve, could we have a dedicated "Load Rated Shackles" forum so we can keep all the posts together please?