PDA

View Full Version : opinions for what second hand boat to buy?

frontflip90
29-09-2014, 03:12 PM
so I recently sold my 6.4m trail craft sports cab and looking to upgrade to a glass boat with a four stroke motor, it was a great bot for fishing with plenty of room and underfloor kill tank etc., but now the old boy said he wants in and has offered to put in for my next boat so after talking to him we are unsure what to do what to buy, our budget id say is 50k pondering the idea of getting one imported from the states like a sea fox, sea swirl, cobia,well craft etc or buy something locally if we can find what we are looking for. our plans are for a half cab-walk around preferably with a hardtop but Bimini would be much of a drama something between 21-23ft with a single 4stroke outboard, purely for offshore fishing, Australian boats ive been looking at are the cruise crafts but are pretty pricey with a 4stroke on the back. and ive never imported a boat but what ive read a general rule is what you payed for the boat over there then double it for the costs for getting it back here true or not, I like the yanks boats for there massive fuel storage but unsure what to do and what options to way up any help would be much appreciated.

cheers stuart

Camhawk88
29-09-2014, 04:11 PM
There are a lot of people who brought these Yank boats a few years ago when the $ was stronger. Now hard times have hit and you see a lot of these boats on the local market and not many are buying making the market very good for a buyer like yourself. The bigger the boat, the tougher it is to sell so you are coming from a position of strength. I would look at boats advertised for as much as $65k as with some negotiating, you can probably get these down close to your figure.

Vitamin Sea
29-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Something like this fits your description.

The Black Unicorn
29-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Also need to take into account the towing of the yank boats. A lot of them are oversize tows. Even 21fters!

The Silver Unicorn
29-09-2014, 08:48 PM
I know of a cracking 24ft seapro with all the fruit for sale on boatsales atm...remember the value of the dollar doesn't make importing such a lucrative deal these days.

Have a look at this one, make him an offer....you never know.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=24432071&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

frontflip90
29-09-2014, 09:45 PM
thanks for the advise guy definitely some food for thought, I wont have a problem with towing as I live 2mins away from the harbor. but yeah with the dollar as it is these days its defiantly a buyers market just keep my eyes and eyes open

The Black Unicorn
30-09-2014, 05:18 AM
I know of a cracking 24ft seapro with all the fruit for sale on boatsales atm...remember the value of the dollar doesn't make importing such a lucrative deal these days.

Have a look at this one, make him an offer....you never know.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=24432071&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

That is a good looking boat. Does it have much lighting?

MEG-A-BITE
30-09-2014, 07:24 AM
That is a good looking boat. Does it have much lighting?
Its got everything you will need .Its been fitted with the best gear and very well looked after, you not going to need to do much at all to this rig.