PDA

View Full Version : Tewantin Boat Ramp Danger Boaties Beware

NEW HORIZONS
23-09-2014, 07:01 AM
I recently had my newly acquired 4.4 mt. Sea Jay Territory almost holed as it was pounded onto a concrete storm water culvert locoated in the middle of the boat retrieval area at the Tewantin boat ramp , the cause was the wash from one of the large tour boats which reqularly speed past. The total damage bill was over $1000

I approached Noosa Council with a request to have the concrete block relocated away from the mooring area ,but got a quick flick pass , I have now taken the matter up with local councilor Tony Wellington and am waiting for his response , I urge fellow boaties to contact Tony Wellington ,with enough support I am sure we can achieve the desired result.

I have also taken the tour operator, Discovery Group to task , suggesting some self regulation and slow down in the vicinity of the ramp as well as the narrow channel in the first lake add you voice to this as well, after a protracted delay and my complaint published in the local rag ,I was finally contacted by management who offered little sympathy and no apology just a vague suggestion I was unfairly targeting their operation with my complain, I was told the matter would be discussed with the owners on their return from overseas and get back to me , I will keep you posted.

MY pride and joy BLACK JACK has now been repaired thanks to insurance and Mal Favager from Noosaville Smash Repairs who I am happy to recommend to any one needing boat accident repairs, he knows his stuff and is also a keen fisherman

sharkymark2
23-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Sad to hear your problems New Horizons. Our ramps are an absolute disgrace in a lot of cases. I know some have been upgraded over the last few years but reflecting upon how much money from us goes back into the community you would think that there would be a greater priority. Glad to hear that you are now checking out the horizon again.

Back In Black
23-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Thats a horror that pipe sticking out. By memory, on a big tide, you can't even see it. As you say, slap bang in the middle of the retrieval area.
Another reason I use Noosaville.

Tony

Jeremy
23-09-2014, 09:16 PM
So New Horizons, what lessons have you learned about launch and retrieval from that experience?

Back In Black
23-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Jeremy, what pearls of wisdom can you pass onto New Horizons??

Tony

NEW HORIZONS
24-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Jeremy ,

You can be sure that in future I will beach my boat well clear of any concrete culverts or the like ,but as long as that concrete lump is there and the Discovery tour boats speed past at 20 knots boats will continue to be damaged

I am still seeking support to lobby council for its removal phone Tony Wellington 54396105 or email tony.wellington@noosa.qld.gov.au

Make the call send the email tell your mates.

Cheers Terry

Jeremy
24-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Tpny, my point is this.

If there are known risks in the area - issues with the ramp or other boats which regularly speed past causing wash - then some thought need to be put into what can be done to minimise these risks. There is no point in people just blaming others for stuff that happens.

In the case of New Horizons, maybe there is a better time of the tide to launch/retrieve so that the culvert is not going to cause damage? Beach the boat away from the culvert? Maybe use a different ramp altogether?

I launch and retrieve a glass boat solo all the time and I pick the ramps I use based on the tides, wind, beach available or pontoon etc, as well as where I plan to fish.

Sh!t happens all the time. Some people get covered with it and some don't.

Jeremy
24-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Just a couple of examples.
I fish Jumpinpin regularly but I never use the Cabbage Tree Point ramp as it is exposed to the wind and it sits in a fairly narrow channel which boats do speed through causing wash.

Another ramp I never use is River Heads at Mary River. Towed my boat there from Hervey Bay, saw it is all rocks around the ramp (no beach), and towed it 20 km back to Urangan to launch at a safer ramp.

mull dog
24-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Jeremy. That's one option. Or they could just friggin fix it. We pay our taxes license fees rego etc and shouldn't have to put up with, not only substandard, but dangerous facilities. And it's always 6knots no wash around ramps moorings and when people in the water. Signed or otherwise.

Back In Black
24-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Jeremy, as New Horizons stated, its a new boat, so maybe he is new to boating, has not ever used that ramp before, just moved to the area or other possibilities..

Mate, I have pulled up on the sand within a metre of the culvert myself. At no point did I use my crystal ball & consider that a large boat at high speed would be belting past causing a wake sizeable enough to rock my boat onto the pipe, but them, maybe I'm just inexperienced compared to you & others blessed with the gift of hindsight…….

Tony

AndrewB
24-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I took my brand new boat out from that ramp 2 weeks ago, although I live on the coast I haven't been on the Noosa River for over 15 years so with 2 hrs running in why not get a change of scenery. Went at high tide and didn't see the pipe. If nothing else this thread has made me look out for the offending pipe if ever I go there again. From memory the speed limit there is 20 knots.
My sympathies go out to anyone with a boat that has been damaged in any circumstances.

SHOOTER1
24-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Tpny, my point is this.

If there are known risks in the area - issues with the ramp or other boats which regularly speed past causing wash - then some thought need to be put into what can be done to minimise these risks. There is no point in people just blaming others for stuff that happens.

In the case of New Horizons, maybe there is a better time of the tide to launch/retrieve so that the culvert is not going to cause damage? Beach the boat away from the culvert? Maybe use a different ramp altogether?

I launch and retrieve a glass boat solo all the time and I pick the ramps I use based on the tides, wind, beach available or pontoon etc, as well as where I plan to fish.

Sh!t happens all the time. Some people get covered with it and some don't.
Jees Don't you ever go to a new area? Totally agree if there is a hazard fix it. Should be no wake zones around all ramps.

NEW HORIZONS
25-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Jeremy,

I posted the thread to alert other ramp users to take care and be aware , I did not expect or appreciate your critical response , you are right shit happens and your reply stinks, not surprised that you mostly fish solo.

NEW HORIZONS
25-09-2014, 06:29 AM
UPDATE

I have been in contact with Tony Wellington Noosa Councillor and will be having a meeting with him in a couple of weeks when he returns from overseas ,In the meantime emails of support from Ausfish members might go a long way to having the culvert removed,see earlier thread for his email address

Cheers Terry

Jeremy
25-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Jeremy,

I posted the thread to alert other ramp users to take care and be aware

Didn't come across that way. Sure sounded like a whinge to me.

Jeremy,

I did not expect or appreciate your critical response

I am sorry my reply came across that way. I am just so sick of people blaming others all the time for stuff that happens. People need to take some personal responsibility for things that happen to them. Sure the ramp could be fixed, the speed limit around the ramp could be enforced etc, but in the meantime, individuals can alter their behaviour to reduce the risk. New Horizons knew there was a risk from boats speeding past - he said so. His post also indicates that he regularly uses the ramp and therefore was aware of the culvert.

Jeremy,

you are right shit happens and your reply stinks, not surprised that you mostly fish solo.

I am really sorry for your loss. PM me your address and I'll send you a box of Kleenex ;D :o :-*

Back In Black
25-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Absolutely amazing Jeremy. A fellow fisherman gives us all a heads up to a potential problem, & you manage to turn it around & attack him.

Hope you never need assistance on the water mate.

Tony

Fitzy
26-09-2014, 09:22 AM
I am really sorry for your loss. PM me your address and I'll send you a box of Kleenex ;D :o :-* I can see where you're coming from Jeremy, but I don't know if comments like that are necessary.

Folks we're all on the same team here. A little mutual respect will stop posts being deleted.

Kind Regards,

Back In Black
28-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Jeremy ,

You can be sure that in future I will beach my boat well clear of any concrete culverts or the like ,but as long as that concrete lump is there and the Discovery tour boats speed past at 20 knots boats will continue to be damaged

I am still seeking support to lobby council for its removal phone Tony Wellington 54396105 or email tony.wellington@noosa.qld.gov.au

Make the call send the email tell your mates.

Cheers Terry

Hi Terry,
Email sent.

Tony

Back In Black
29-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Hi Terry,
Got a reply from Peter Wellington this morning, informing me of his meeting with you on his return.
Tony

sharkymark2
01-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Better send him some scented ones Jeremy so he can cancel out the smell from your harsh comment. Murphy's law is indiscriminate and O'Toole's law says it is actually worse than it seems. Everyone has had a problem. But with a new boat the knife just went a bit deeper. A bit of empathy might not go astray.

JEWIENEWIE
02-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Been away for a while, geez i have missed Ausfish!!!;D One time at Band Camp.........
JN