PDA

View Full Version : Cut price Transom Repair

gford001
19-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Ok,
A bit of background. My brother has an old (early 70s probably) ski boat that he uses on an inland dam in NSW. It had an OLD Chrysler 135hp on it which finally died after multiple resurrections.
He has found a Johnson 150 for it (an oldy, but reliability isn't an issue, as the furthest he gets from land would be 100m).
As he was removing the Chrysler he has found the transom to be a bit dicey. The Chrysler didn't move around when putting weight onto it, but it was likely putting out 80 odd HP when it died, and is about 50kg lighter then the Johnson (Which is really healthy, I took it for a test run for him a couple weeks ago).
Now the weight is increasing and the power is virtually doubling and he is a bit concerned that the transom might not be up to it.
Obviously being a dodgy old ski boat, he doesn't want to spend a fortune on it.
He is planning on using some checker plate to beef up where the motor bolts onto, but was looking to put something into the transom as well. He found this product (Seacast) and asked me if I know anything about it. I don't, but you guys have a heap of knowledge on these type of things......
http://www.transomrepair.net/
Think he just plans on getting some of the rotted timber out and pouring a heap of this stuff in. He doesn't really care about aesthetics, just doesn't want his new old Johnson ending up on the lakebed with the transom still attached to it......
He is one of those blokes who is really good with his hands and can fix anything, just wants to make sure he isn't going to waste his money on something that is crap.
And if I know my brother he will over engineer the crap out of it and you could strap a 300 to it when he is done.......
Any ideas?
Cheers

Glen

Spaniard_King
19-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Nothing stronger than a good bit of ply properly glasses in.... just sayin :)

Shark Poker
19-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Seacast has its good points and potential but basically, it requires rotten timber and moisture to be removed from the area where it will be applied.

Seacast specifications certainly support the assumption that it is in no way an kind of emulsifier.
It will react against rather than bond with any old moist rot.

And the removal is of course the hard bit.
There are reasons why a laminate is so popular - as Spaniard King says - so most repairs are done by fibreglassing a good new bit of ply instead.

gford001
19-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Nothing stronger than a good bit of ply properly glasses in.... just sayin :)

Cheers,
Just spoke to him a few mins ago and he came to the same conclusion, sent me a bunch of photos of the old transom cut out and the new transom well underway.....
Has no idea what he is doing, but it looks like a top job to me (so far). He's like that, pretty handy and should do a good job of it.

The Mad Cat
22-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Cheers,
Just spoke to him a few mins ago and he came to the same conclusion, sent me a bunch of photos of the old transom cut out and the new transom well underway.....
Has no idea what he is doing, but it looks like a top job to me (so far). He's like that, pretty handy and should do a good job of it.

Lets have a look at the pic's.

TMC

gford001
24-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Lets have a look at the pic's.

TMC

Just tried, ciuodng get it to work, will have another go when I'm off holidays and have good internet again......
Had a look at it in the flesh today and it's looking good. hes heading up to brissie tomorrow to pickup his New engine.