PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 4 stroke or Optimax??

FINICKY
15-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm upgrading my 115HP 2 stroke to a 150HP and after going to the boat show over the weekend I've now got to decide between these two engines. My biggest concern with the Optimax is I want to get away from the fumes of a 2 stroke outboard. Do these engines still have a smell about them? I don't know anyone with one so I'd love some feed back from people with one.
I'm really looking for the economy of a 4 stroke but the 150HP 4 stroke is 11kg heavier than my boats maximum rated motor weight. Does anyone see this as an issue or know of a way around it. I'd hate to be fined or get knocked back on insurance for having a defective vessel due to a heavy motor as I know how picky transport and insurance can be with motor vehicles.
I look forward to some replies as I can't wait to get the new motor bolted on.

Bait is better.

Noelm
15-09-2014, 09:55 AM
4 stroke all the way, the Opti will still have some fumes, the 4 stroke will also, but no burnt oil fumes, just exhaust, but, the weight has get you buggered, is there another brand that is lighter in the that HP these days?

ozynorts
15-09-2014, 09:59 AM
What type of boat is it? Some manufacturers will issue a new plate.
Have you considered the new 115hp 4 stroke from Merc?

GBC
15-09-2014, 10:26 AM
The opti will be noisier and slightly better on fuel at cruise speed and yes you can smell them when idling downwind but nothing like a traditional 2 stroke. Just sold a boat with a 14 year old 135 opti (same engine) that had 900hrs on it. It was an original series which had a couple of alternator/compressor retaining bolts let go years ago. These were revised in later models, and once we got the new bolt pattern (service bulletin upgrade) there was no further issue. Fuel usage on an 18ft signature was exceptional (2+ kms per litre at cruise). Check service costs on both.
I'd be careful going overweight - moreso from the boat's performance than legalities - ask owners of similar hulls as often enough biggest isnt always best and heavy arses is bad in trailer boats.
Plenty of options in the 130/135/140 h.p. range from all manufacturers and still a big jump in h.p. from a 115.

Camhawk88
15-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I have gone from 4 strokes to now having twin Optis (90hp). I haven't noticed any smell- except on initial start up. So really 2stroke smell isnt an issue.
The cost of servicing and the initial cost will save you money over the 4stroke. The expensive oil will reduce that benefit. But if you are running a 115 currently then the 150 will be putting along for the same cruise speed and wont drink much oil at all. The oil mixes at different ratios depending on revs so at lower revs you will use much less oil than at say 5000rpm +.

I would say with your weight concerns that Opti would be your best option. Oh they go fast too;D

LittleSkipper
15-09-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm upgrading my 115HP 2 stroke to a 150HP and after going to the boat show over the weekend I've now got to decide between these two engines. My biggest concern with the Optimax is I want to get away from the fumes of a 2 stroke outboard. Do these engines still have a smell about them? I don't know anyone with one so I'd love some feed back from people with one.
I'm really looking for the economy of a 4 stroke but the 150HP 4 stroke is 11kg heavier than my boats maximum rated motor weight. Does anyone see this as an issue or know of a way around it. I'd hate to be fined or get knocked back on insurance for having a defective vessel due to a heavy motor as I know how picky transport and insurance can be with motor vehicles.
I look forward to some replies as I can't wait to get the new motor bolted on.

You could consider upgrading to Mercury's new 75-115 fourstroke range, the entire range is only 163kg dry weight for the 20 inch leg.

Jumping from 115 to 150 is not always ideal. You might be thinking more power for your boat but that is not always the case nor practical for your boats transom.

My boats transom has a limit of 175kg, I was interested in the now older model Mercury 80hp but the outboards dry weight is 181kg and their was no way in hell I'd have that amount of weight hanging off of my boats transom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleSkipper
15-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Don't know what happened to my post but somehow it integrated with Finickys quote? Hope the mods could rectify cause I was unable to due to an error.

FINICKY
15-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I can fit the Merc 115 Command Thrust engine which is their very latest release and has a different gear box to give more torque on acceleration. The command thrust has replaced their "big foot" model.
This motor is well below my maximum weight and is also a 4 stroke.

Bait is better.

LittleSkipper
15-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Don't know what happened to my post but somehow it integrated with Finickys quote? Hope the mods could rectify cause I was unable to due to an error.

Fixed it. Lol!

FINICKY
15-09-2014, 12:13 PM
I am pushing a Yalta Craft 6m fibreglass half cabbin with 150L of fuel on board and usually 3 or 4 fishermen.

Bait is better.

ozynorts
15-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Mate contact YaltaCraft direct on 07 5486 5868 and ask for George. Depending on the year of your boat he should be able to issue you a new builders plate for it. I assume you have the Yalta 555HC/2000 Fisherman. I asked him about engine size and what he would recommend for that boat and he said the 150hp 4 stroke merc. Don't worry about the balance of the boat with the heavier motor, the Yalta can hold it, there are a number of them with Yamaha 150 4 strokes on the back.
I have the same boat and have done a number of mini experiments with weight distribution and they are fine with the extra weight at the back.

Jsmfun
15-09-2014, 01:07 PM
why not put a suzuki 140hp on i had a 115 2 stroke on my 1800 allrounder 5.3m a lot less of a boat so i would think you need a few more horses then 115 on a 6m boat just my thoughts
cheers scott

FINICKY
15-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the help/advice. I have contacted Yalta and they're sending a new plate to cover the weight of the 150HP as they have upgraded the weight rating on their 555's.
Looking forward to fitting the new motor when I'm back on R&R next.

Bait is better.

FINICKY
16-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Another change of events today just to make things more complicated. George from Yalta contacted me and said he will give me the upgraded builders plate "IF" I drive from Ipswich to Gympie, let him see the boat to see if it has got the updated transom, and I must buy the new motor from him and have him fit it.
WTF?
Surely he knows what the transom design is if he is the manufacturer and I've supplied photos of the builders plate, and if it is fine to fit that motor to the boat I don't see why I can't use the local Merc dealer who I trust and is looking after me on price and trade in.
Sounds like a grab for cash to get a sale if you ask me by holding the mod plate as ransom.

Solution, get a mod plate from a boat surveyor on the Gold Coast for $400 and have my local dealer fit the engine. Saves towing the boat 3-4hrs each way to Gympie just to get ripped off.

Bait is better.

oldie
16-09-2014, 08:13 PM
What a crock of absolute horse shiz!!! I wouldn't give the guy the time of day thats some of the worst customer service I've ever heard of, its not actually customer service its black mail!

ShaneC
16-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Thats ordinary....

LittleSkipper
16-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Another change of events today just to make things more complicated. George from Yalta contacted me and said he will give me the upgraded builders plate "IF" I drive from Ipswich to Gympie, let him see the boat to see if it has got the updated transom, and I must buy the new motor from him and have him fit it.
WTF?
Surely he knows what the transom design is if he is the manufacturer and I've supplied photos of the builders plate, and if it is fine to fit that motor to the boat I don't see why I can't use the local Merc dealer who I trust and is looking after me on price and trade in.
Sounds like a grab for cash to get a sale if you ask me by holding the mod plate as ransom.

Solution, get a mod plate from a boat surveyor on the Gold Coast for $400 and have my local dealer fit the engine. Saves towing the boat 3-4hrs each way to Gympie just to get ripped off.

Bait is better.

I'd be pissed if my boat manufacturer did that to me? I'd sell the vessel just to prove a point. Welcome to the wonderful world of Australian manufacturer boat building? Or boat blackmailing?

BigE
17-09-2014, 10:17 PM
if you went the opti route and down the track you wanted more ( after all more is more) a 150 opti can be made into a 175 as there the same engine with tuning mods to make the HP I have a few 4 storkes and loved them but I rate my opti as just as good with the exception of noise and a bit cheaper to buy and own. mind you the new merc 150 four stroke is a good looking bit of kit. the maintenance free valve train will be the next big thing in four strokes if they manage to pull it off.

BigE

Noelm
18-09-2014, 05:16 AM
What's maintanence free about the valve train that some other makes don't have? If you are referring to a timing chain instead of a belt, plenty have had that for years.

bonneville
18-09-2014, 02:59 PM
as stated by mercury, no valve train maintenance at all ! 15% fewer parts than Suzuki, 18 % fewer parts than Yamaha
No other four stroke has a complete maintenance free valve train system. all have to have valves/ belts etc adjusted at service intervals.
Is it any good ? dunno, I don't own one, couple of mates have the 150's and rave about them.
as ive previously said in another thread, I'm looking at the 115 hp, with its new 2.1 litre capacity with it being based on the same engine as the 150 hp . Whether it will be enough grunt on mine, Im not sure, there's an option of the bigger capacity gearbox ! But the jury is out at the minute whether it can breach the gap for that 5.5-6 meter " ish " boat that previously couldn't take the four strokes that were on offer.
I myself am waiting for test results from someone that has just fitted one up.
But im picking it will not be long before all other manufacturers come up with similar weight saving ideas for there four stroke range to compete in this class. I was reading somewhere a while back that the biggest market range in size of boats out there was the 5.2 to 5.7 range, ( including second hand market) that's the range that are most effected by the weight of the fourstroke. bring it on !
mercury have shown there intentions by stating they are dropping the 125 opti and it was reiterated to me by a mercury dealer that the 115 opti doesn't have a long term future either, but I'd have no problem with buying either of them.
I look at it this way, that Honda and Yamaha, don't currently have an option for me in a fourstroke ! but I sure wouldn't mind having the option on both of them, so I think that's the way most of the manufacturers will go,with lighter four stroke models, mercury have just lead the way at the minute, that's all. just wish they'd hurry up ! I'm getting older ! LOL

bonneville