PDA

View Full Version : Project almost complete!

simsavage
15-09-2014, 09:46 AM
I am nearing completion of my first ever boat project.
It is not great but I am happy with the progress made, unfortunately I didn't take any before photos as I was to excited to waste any time!
I am open to any constructive criticism! and any ideas that may help improve the project.

I purchased an electric motor however it doesn't fit as well as I would of like on the transom. Bit disappointing but ohwell! Also I have not put the seats back in yet planning on doing that this weekend :) Nearly time to hit the dam!

joeT
15-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Looks nice and clean. Whats the history/background? Thats an unsual looking trailer, assume you made it?

Perhaps fit the electric motor via some kind of aux bracket?

simsavage
16-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the reply joeT,
It's a Savage runabout and from what I can tell was manufactured around early 70's. The motor is a 1969 55HP evinrude triumph. It has got a fair bit of go for an old girl and hasn't let me down yet!
The trailer came with the boat when I purchased it. got the lot for $800 because the motor wouldn't start which was caused by some dodgy wiring. easy fix luckily.
I put the jockey wheel and some new tires on the trailer and have recently installed an electric winch (wasn't really necessary but they were cheap at aldi so heck why not).
I've never heard of an aux bracket but by the look of it it will do the trick perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dignity
16-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Looks pretty,
I find no matter what I do there is always some improvement - after the fact. The trailer looks like it is meant to fold away, can't really see the detail at the moment.

And instead of occy straps a chain and turnbuckle might be the go to secure it.

simsavage
16-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Looks pretty,
I find no matter what I do there is always some improvement - after the fact. The trailer looks like it is meant to fold away, can't really see the detail at the moment.

And instead of occy straps a chain and turnbuckle might be the go to secure it.

Thanks Dignity,
I was in the process of installing the new winch so I just threw a few occy straps on there temporarily. You have given me some ideas though. I might put a chain on to secure it when the winch is not locked on (i'll take it off so it doesn't get stolen)
Thanks for the comment!

Dignity
16-09-2014, 05:07 PM
simsavage, that trailer looks like it is meant to collapse on itself, was it possibly made for one of those grey nomads who travel around in those big mobile homes towing a car and boat.

simsavage
17-09-2014, 12:58 PM
It could have been, It is a very old trailer as its registration details date back to 1988!
I haven't actually tried to fold it up or anything but I'm taking the boat out this weekend so I might have a crack at it then!

ifishcq1
17-09-2014, 08:55 PM
there were a few of that style trailer made to be length adjustable to suit a couple of different sizes

McKnight
18-09-2014, 08:00 AM
The trailer could be a tilt trailer, it makes retrieving and launching easier I believe. I could be wrong

There would be some guys over there > http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php , that would be interested in this project. or if you ever need info on the outboard.

simsavage
18-09-2014, 11:05 AM
The trailer could be a tilt trailer, it makes retrieving and launching easier I believe. I could be wrong

There would be some guys over there > http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php , that would be interested in this project. or if you ever need info on the outboard.

Thanks McKnight I will definitely have a look! It's great getting some feedback!