PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines rusted.

docaster
13-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Ok, my brakes on my 3.5ton boat trailer stopped working last trip. I have been too busy to look or not wanting to know......:(
Stuck my head behind wheel and brake lines have rusted off.
What's best, replace with stainless? if so where from? Any brake place?
Cheers
John

Noelm
14-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Not too sure I have seen stainless brake lines, but I guess they might be made? Most use copper, or plain steel and keep them covered in some sort of protection material.

undasize
14-09-2014, 07:21 PM
John , Go with staino , never have a problem again , I bought lengths of tube and staino nuts too an remade all of mine , just got it from my local brake and clutch shop , Shannon

T-REX
14-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Not too sure I have seen stainless brake lines, but I guess they might be made? Most use copper, or plain steel and keep them covered in some sort of protection material.
Just repaired my copper lines and had to join in a section of anodised steel from the master cylinder to the copper. Apparently copper lines are no longer legal if you have to have them repaired at a brake repair business.
Cheers

Noelm
14-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Well, there you go, never knew that....

docaster
14-09-2014, 08:55 PM
John , Go with staino , never have a problem again , I bought lengths of tube and staino nuts too an remade all of mine , just got it from my local brake and clutch shop , Shannon

Thanks Shannon, Did you do anything special with the staino up against the galv? I reckon i will probably just use cable ties.

docaster
14-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Just repaired my copper lines and had to join in a section of anodised steel from the master cylinder to the copper. Apparently copper lines are no longer legal if you have to have them repaired at a brake repair business.
Cheers

I wonder why copper is not allowed any more?
Last longer than steel i reckon.

Spaniard_King
14-09-2014, 09:14 PM
This is the best product on the market

http://www.transtyletrailers.com.au/spare-parts/flexible-brake-lines/

docaster
14-09-2014, 09:30 PM
This is the best product on the market

http://www.transtyletrailers.com.au/spare-parts/flexible-brake-lines/

Thanks Gary, I will check them out.

hilta1
14-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I got some braided stainless kit from Brisbane, cant remember the company name at the moment but I think they are the agent for the hydrastar actuators, if that helps. cheers Mark

hilta1
14-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Just looked it up, Trailer spares direct.cheers

Spaniard_King
15-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Just looked it up, Trailer spares direct.cheers

Hilta, I have used them before, they have brass connectors with a copper tube flare... IMO they are substandard and anyone who takes there brakes off regularly for maintenance would agree. The transtyle ones are full stainless

docaster
15-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Hilta, I have used them before, they have brass connectors with a copper tube flare... IMO they are substandard and anyone who takes there brakes off regularly for maintenance would agree. The transtyle ones are full stainlessHi Gary, I rang them today getting a price for their stainless, kits and no mention that the connectors were made of brass. Thanks for the heads up.

boatboy50
15-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Try a company called ectbs.pty.ltd. based in Sydney and lots cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Darren

docaster
15-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I ended up going with the stainless (trailer direct supplied ones) from my local trailer shop, weren't much dearer to get from them here and i like to buy local.
I was told the stainless nuts can react with the cast iron calipers (I think they would be cast) more than the brass ( not sure how true this would be). (maybe someone knows the electrolysis chart)

These have the short bit of copper tube attached to the stainless line, ( don't know how its done and i suspect it's a poly line with stainless braid)
Ideally i would make my own with s/s tubing etc as Shannon did, but way dearer.
If i had s/s calipers i would definitely go with the all stainless Gary was talking about.

Apparently copper is not allowed anymore because copper tube is now split tube and there was a few failures with rupturing.:oops:

Thanks for everyone's input.
John