PDA

View Full Version : brissie boat show

wayno60
13-09-2014, 07:54 AM
SO whos off to the boat this weekend??? Im heading up sunday
arvo to kick some tyres.

LittleSkipper
13-09-2014, 08:13 AM
The family and I went yesterday (Fri) due to work commitments over the weekend. First time in 2 years since the show moved to the Ekka grounds.

I must say I was not very impressed with the setup with all the exhibitors here, there, everywhere and all over the place.

I'd hate to think how the exhibitors who were setup outside on Gregory Terrace would go if the heavens opened up?

Preferred the indoor convention centre setup from previous years.

Just my opinion but I'm sure others will agree to disagree and vice versa.

Enjoy yourself nonetheless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shane450
13-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Waste of $18 , very small

FisHard
13-09-2014, 11:44 AM
For those that have been to the boat show, did you notice if Mercury had any special finance deals on four strokes?

LittleSkipper
13-09-2014, 12:04 PM
For those that have been to the boat show, did you notice if Mercury had any special finance deals on four strokes?

We did visit the Mercury stand and they did have a dedicated finance office set up for this purpose so I'm sure they would have some great offers to be had?

Sadly! It appeared to me that the Mercury staff were only willing to talk to you unless you were prepared to spend thousands on a new motor?

We weren't there to do that just yet as I wanted to have a look at the new fourstrokes first and will probably repower at the end of the year.

Brisbane Marine were directly opposite the Mercury Stand so go and have a chat with Troy and there marine mechanic Warren.

bluefin59
13-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Waste of $18 in my opinion I just got home . Matt

chocolatemoose
13-09-2014, 02:12 PM
It was my first time to Brisbane. .and the show. Also the first boat show in years that I have attended and not worked at. It was a bit all over the shop. Saw a lot of people sneaking in. Usually people have a bit more gusto on first days and kick back on the last day. But they do say things are backwoods up here ;)

LittleSkipper
13-09-2014, 03:14 PM
It was my first time to Brisbane. .and the show. Also the first boat show in years that I have attended and not worked at. It was a bit all over the shop. Saw a lot of people sneaking in. Usually people have a bit more gusto on first days and kick back on the last day. But they do say things are backwoods up here ;)

What kind of Gusto are we talking about Moose?

As for backwards that's hardly the case! Just a little more relaxed than most states.

soulfish
13-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Moose it would have cost you $36 to get in with your 2 heads .your a Victorian aren't you...haha

chocolatemoose
13-09-2014, 07:26 PM
hahahah, should of expected some kind of blow back :P
look yeah it was alright . plenty to see :) .

outwide1
13-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Compared top last year i found amazing.
Lots of good deals to be had and a lot more to look at.

Seppo BNE
13-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Had a whole day there with kids and the boss. Was great fun.

It was good to be able to walk around and see boats / electronics / stuff and see how it feels.
Probably a couple of hundred boats from the smallest tinny, up to some nice $225k 7mt super-boats and Stefan's offshore racer.

Looking more closely at the boats there, it was good to be able to climb in, and look closely under the dash, sides, around where people normally don't look, to get an idea of build quality. Some of the plate boat builders had really tidy boats, some others had things that seemed a bit average (eg. nav light wires running through holes with no grommets with sharp alum swarf ready to cut into the wires after a bit of vibration, etc.). I at least have an idea of what to save up for and who to go see next year :)

Gadget wise, one of the more interesting things was the Optimus 360 steering/docking stuff. My son found it and I couldn't resist having a play too (Hadn't seen it before + I'm easily amused). Pretty cool seeing the modes of operation with the actuators and throttles doing their thing automatically.

Ended up getting an Elite 5 Chirp from Lowrance, 15kg rod and more plastics than I'll know what to do with !

Layout wise, it was pretty spread out and not obvious where things were. Some cool things definitely hidden around the traps.

People wise, some staff were a bit busy to come and say hello, but a vast majority were very helpful, keen to show their products and help out.

Kids-wise, they had a yabby fishing tank, robo-surfing board on a jump castle, huge fishtank with live demos of lures/plastics being chomped, fishing sim where you can catch a tuna and win stuff, face paints and robots that were cruising around.

Kids had been good for weeks waiting to go - we all had a great day !
Installed the Fishfinder, ready for testing tomorrow :) :)

Mike Delisser
14-09-2014, 12:44 AM
I thought it was ok. Heaps more fishing stuff than the last few years and at least 95% of that was in the one area.

LittleSkipper
14-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Had a whole day there with kids and the boss. Was great fun.

It was good to be able to walk around and see boats / electronics / stuff and see how it feels.
Probably a couple of hundred boats from the smallest tinny, up to some nice $225k 7mt super-boats and Stefan's offshore racer.

Looking more closely at the boats there, it was good to be able to climb in, and look closely under the dash, sides, around where people normally don't look, to get an idea of build quality. Some of the plate boat builders had really tidy boats, some others had things that seemed a bit average (eg. nav light wires running through holes with no grommets with sharp alum swarf ready to cut into the wires after a bit of vibration, etc.). I at least have an idea of what to save up for and who to go see next year :)

Gadget wise, one of the more interesting things was the Optimus 360 steering/docking stuff. My son found it and I couldn't resist having a play too (Hadn't seen it before + I'm easily amused). Pretty cool seeing the modes of operation with the actuators and throttles doing their thing automatically.

Ended up getting an Elite 5 Chirp from Lowrance, 15kg rod and more plastics than I'll know what to do with !

Layout wise, it was pretty spread out and not obvious where things were. Some cool things definitely hidden around the traps.

People wise, some staff were a bit busy to come and say hello, but a vast majority were very helpful, keen to show their products and help out.

Kids-wise, they had a yabby fishing tank, robo-surfing board on a jump castle, huge fishtank with live demos of lures/plastics being chomped, fishing sim where you can catch a tuna and win stuff, face paints and robots that were cruising around.

Kids had been good for weeks waiting to go - we all had a great day !
Installed the Fishfinder, ready for testing tomorrow :) :)

Glad someone enjoyed themselves on the day.

aussiebasser
14-09-2014, 08:18 AM
After missing it last year due to the Kayak, Canoe comp I was looking forward to it this year. After driving in and finding a park on level two in the Convention Centre you could say I was surprised to find the foyer area empty of boating displays. Fortunately, the carpark attendant was very forgiving as I wasn't the only one to make the mistake. I paid my $12 to park and $18 to get in and filled in the day wandering around. A lot of new stuff, some old stuff. Good to see the tackle precinct back. Cheap entertainment at $30 for the day.

Bustedoff
16-09-2014, 12:48 PM
I liked it, only had a couple of hours to slip away from work on Saturday to check it out. The cut-away Mercury 4 stroke (think it was a 150) was great, especially to see it's running a timing chain instead of a belt (big thumbs up for me on that one) and also the Haines Hunter hull cut-away at the Marine Tune stand was interesting. It was surprising how much timber they are still using in their hulls, even with plenty of glass over it, they could move a bit more with the times I reckon.
The Baysport stand also had a hull without floors, so you could see the fibreglass stringer setup. All interesting.
The kids didn't come this year, but it was good to see the kids area had some shade this year.

I love looking at boats and motors so for 18 bucks and a couple of hours away from the office, it's all good.

Dignity
16-09-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm after a new trailer, did anyone have a trailer stand there, I haven't been to the show in years so not sure who is exhibiting these days, will maybe just have to make the foray down.

ozynorts
16-09-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm after a new trailer, did anyone have a trailer stand there, I haven't been to the show in years so not sure who is exhibiting these days, will maybe just have to make the foray down.

just had a look at the exhibitor list and only Dunbier and SeaTrail as far as trailer manufacturers go but all the boat dealers should sell you a trailer I would have thought.

Dignity
16-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks ozynorts, SeaTrail I have had a look at and don't particularly like, will have to have a closer look at Dunbier, interestingly in the past dealers haven't done much in the way of deals on trailers even through the show unless you were packaging it with something else.

bluefin59
16-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I was looking at trailers , seatrail where average to say the least and are Chinese manufactured , the dunbier where ok but not a patch on my belco so I'm going to have a new belco built . Matt

Spaniard_King
16-09-2014, 06:21 PM
I liked it, only had a couple of hours to slip away from work on Saturday to check it out. The cut-away Mercury 4 stroke (think it was a 150) was great, especially to see it's running a timing chain instead of a belt (big thumbs up for me on that one) and also the Haines Hunter hull cut-away at the Marine Tune stand was interesting. It was surprising how much timber they are still using in their hulls, even with plenty of glass over it, they could move a bit more with the times I reckon.
The Baysport stand also had a hull without floors, so you could see the fibreglass stringer setup. All interesting.
The kids didn't come this year, but it was good to see the kids area had some shade this year.

I love looking at boats and motors so for 18 bucks and a couple of hours away from the office, it's all good.

Only 1 manufacturer running a timing belt on a 150hp 4 stroke these days

Dignity
16-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I was looking at trailers , seatrail where average to say the least and are Chinese manufactured , the dunbier where ok but not a patch on my belco so I'm going to have a new belco built . Matt
Seeing I am down in Brisbane at the moment I might drop in and see Belco on the way back.

docaster
17-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Good on them for cut away boat section so one can see the construction that goes into it.
Nothing annoys me more than the sales people who can't or won't tell you how they're made with regards to construction.

docaster
17-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Is the mercury 4 strokes Yamaha motors like the previous series?