PDA

View Full Version : GPS course from Bribie to North Moreton

Hacky123
11-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi Guys

A while back I found a post on here for a course from Bribie to Moreton with the GPS waypoints marked. Ive spent the last hour trying to find it again to no avail! Does anyone have one? I want to set it up as a route in the Lowrance for a trip this Sunday. Ive done it before with no course by basically just leaving the passage and heading east to Cape Moreton but its like a washing machine as you round the Cape and coming back last time got pretty close to some breaking banks. Any help appreciated!

Cheers
Hacky

PixieAU
11-09-2014, 08:30 AM
I recall you either had up along the beach to the beacons (spitfire channel?) and then across or head towards Deception Bay and then across. There are very shallow shoals across the middle. Beacon to Beacon maps are on the state government website now (there's a recent thread on here) which will show you where they are.

GBC
11-09-2014, 11:52 AM
You're not a proper ausfisher until you've pretended to be pumping yabbies in the middle of the night on Gillian's anyway ;)

Lucky 1
11-09-2014, 01:44 PM
You're not a proper ausfisher until you've pretended to be pumping yabbies in the middle of the night on Gillian's anyway ;)
Looks like I am a proper Ausfisher then :) I purposely hit the bank doing 20 knots just so I could make sure my boat would not drift away in the dark. Gotta love those pre-GPS days!

GBC
11-09-2014, 05:27 PM
There's two types of skipper, those that have run aground and those that speak bullsh1t ;)

Hacky123
11-09-2014, 08:13 PM
I recall you either had up along the beach to the beacons (spitfire channel?) and then across or head towards Deception Bay and then across. There are very shallow shoals across the middle. Beacon to Beacon maps are on the state government website now (there's a recent thread on here) which will show you where they are.

Hey Pixie thanks for that might give it a crack

T-REX
12-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Hacky123, Been a while since I was over there but used to go round the southern end of Bribie Is keep Gilligans Is to starboard and steer 90degrees straight to Comby point. When you are about 40m off the beach turn towards the north and follow the channel along the beach. This avoids the washing machine at Comby Point which I think you said was the Cape. This area can be dangerous with a wind against tide and needs respect as it can stand up pretty bad. Calm one day shocking the next. Use your GPS to add waypoints along the way and you will have a route. Better still get a navigation chart and plot the route before you leave. Cheers.

tunaticer
12-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Relying on a plotted course in Moreton Bay is not a good idea......channels and banks are constantly changing. Best to drive the boat to suit the conditions and select the better water as you go.

If anything pull some marks for hazzards to avoid like Gilligans and its eastern bar.

Generally there is a narrow channel close to shore at Combiyouro Point, but do not count on it being deep enough at low tide.

Relatively safe to return along your trail usually depending on tide height each direction.

I dont use any track older than a month.