PDA

View Full Version : I pilot track following question

bar raider
07-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Can u use the ipilot track follow feature to follow a track along a bank with the tide but slower?

Example. Flathead fishing at the pin, following a swan bank recorded track , strong outgoing tide and the drift is too fast will the ipilot slow the drift while following the track? I hope that makes sense.

Otherwise you'd have to go against the tide using too much power or just drift with it like usual.

ifishcq1
07-09-2014, 10:50 AM
no because the current will push you at current speed and the motor will spend too much time correcting so you don't get to follow your true path or have a consistant run
we face into the current and bring the speed of the ipilot up until you are only just moving backwards with the auto pilot button on
you may have to do a slight correction occaisionally

bar raider
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Yep that's what I do with the AP Model I have now, I was hoping the I pilot would do the corrections for me.

Seems possible though, with the tide at 10kph and u want to drift at 2 the motor powering at 8km in the wrong direction to keep u going in the right direction at 2??
Ok maybe it doesn't , LOL.

ifishcq1
07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I like your idea and I know it sounds great in theory, but ....
maybe there is a guru out there that may be able to solve the puzzle

xxMothxx
10-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Nice theory but it won't work. The track is designed to be followed as a sequence of points and it will follow them in the prescribed order. If you set the target speed over ground to be less than the current then all that will happen is that while you're on the track the prop will slow right down and as you drift off the track it will adjust to put you back on it. It will not try to adjust your speed by travelling in the opposite direction to the track.

As far as iPilot is concerned you need to travel from a to b and it all it does it make sure that the motor is pushing you in the direction of b. It will try to get you there as slowly as possible but it is not going to try to head towards a as a method of getting to b.

As has already been mentioned if you try to follow the track in the direction of the current but set the target speed to be less than the current then the iPilot will follow the track poorly and you'll drift all over the place as you go and will ultimately end up going faster than the current in the process.

So until someone reprograms iPilot to have that sort of tracking logic you'll just have to use your current method.