PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Winch

LittleSkipper
06-09-2014, 09:25 AM
I've searched and researched the World Wide Web including previous discussions on Anchor Winches but found the feedback a couple of years old and would like some fresh feedback on the Stress Free?

I've recently purchased a Mini Stress Free without the free fall feature just simple power up & power down and have been having thoughts ( second thoughts that is?) on whether or not I will kick myself for not having the free fall function?

Was able to obtain some boat show pricing for both the standard and NG free fall but for the extra few hundred for the free fall I couldn't see the point?

I'm thinking with the power down function that I'll be able to make breakfast and eat it too whilst waiting for the anchor to hit the bottom?

Or am I just exaggerating?

Could members provide there honest to god opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottar
06-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Purely depends how deep you are fishing. If you are mainly in the bay and estuaries power down is ok. Anything over 20 to 30 metres though and it seems to take forever to get down - especially if there is a bit of run and you are trying to hold position. I know mine gives me the sh*ts.

LittleSkipper
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Purely depends how deep you are fishing. If you are mainly in the bay and estuaries power down is ok. Anything over 20 to 30 metres though and it seems to take forever to get down - especially if there is a bit of run and you are trying to hold position. I know mine gives me the sh*ts.

Thanks Scottar! Your last comment made me chuckle. I'm assuming you to have the power up, power down only?

LittleSkipper
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Just did another search and what pops up before my eyes is a post on Anchor Winches from May this year? Grrrrr!!! Wish I'd seen that one earlier? Sorry for the re-post on Anchor Winches.

russ71
06-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I have a stress free winch, its not the free fall, only issue I had was the rope got between the barrel and shaft, a once off a few years ago. Otherwise I love it, Ive had it on the boat since I brought it over 4 years ago and I fish port Philip and move around allot, so it gets loads of use.

Russ

LittleSkipper
06-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I have a stress free winch, its not the free fall, only issue I had was the rope got between the barrel and shaft, a once off a few years ago. Otherwise I love it, Ive had it on the boat since I brought it over 4 years ago and I fish port Philip and move around allot, so it gets loads of use.

Russ

Thanks for the feedback Russ71

odieman150
06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
LittleSkipper I had the stress free with free fall on my 5.3 poly boat from 2008 to 2011 and then sold the boat, only problem with the winch was the solenoid seized on the free fall function but was replaced no charge (just an inconvenience) Winch was great otherwise. Have just purchased another poly and bought a sav winch with electronic fast fall, it was cheaper than the stress freel so will be interesting to see the difference when I finally get it mobile.

chocolatemoose
06-09-2014, 06:25 PM
id look at the lonestar winches as well.

lots of reasons why.

hilta1
06-09-2014, 06:36 PM
I have the free fall stress free and love it, this is the 3rd winch I have had all have been stressfree, excellent!!! I figured I might as well have the free fall, if you are in shallow and want to power down you can, but honestly, why would I, the free fall is great.

scottar
06-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks Scottar! Your last comment made me chuckle. I'm assuming you to have the power up, power down only?

Yes. Not if the thing ever fails though. It will definitely be replaced with a free fall.

Dignity
06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Don't have the stress free but a sprint with power down. Didn't think it would be a problem as it was to primarily used at south straddie where you tend to anchor and reverse towards the bank to put out a stern anchor. Turned out to be an absolute pain in the proverbial, try reversing one handed while the other is on the power down switch and a wind and or current is running. Will be changing mine over when I can find a freefall that will not require major surgery on the hatch.

LittleSkipper
07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen! I think I'll be exchanging the standard model for the free fall.

hilta1
07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
You wont be disappointed mate the free fall is brilliant I think we catch more fish because we move if no bite, because its "STRESSFREE" cheers Mark

LittleSkipper
08-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks Mark, I received the standard model this morning and have already made arrangements to return this unit back to SA.

Mind you though the change of mind has certainly cost me freight wise so if anyone else is considering stress free sometimes it's neither the case when you have to pay freight 3 times.

stevebris
08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Little skipper can I ask what you paid for the free fall unit?
Pm me if you like.

Aussie123
08-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Winches are damn expensive to ship around the country.
The ones I send are 25kg each for the winch and 15kg for the rope and chain so freight costs get very dear.

LittleSkipper
08-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Winches are damn expensive to ship around the country.
The ones I send are 25kg each for the winch and 15kg for the rope and chain so freight costs get very dear.

Winches are damn expensive to ship around the country?

So's the god damn winch, rope and chain?