PDA

View Full Version : Do my trailer wheel bearings have a problem here .... advice please

redbeard
04-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,

The look of my trailers wheel hub's is making me concerned that I may have some issue going on here so I wanted to ask you guys to please take a look at the pictures attached and let me know what you think ?

Hopefully this is just external and nothing to do with my wheel bearings.

(pics attached)

thanks

bluefin59
04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Time to pull them apart and replace or service , probably replace by the look of things . Knock one of the bearing buddies of and if it's the same inside change them out .. Matt

scorpo92
04-09-2014, 02:13 PM
mmm that looks fun. by the looks id be replacing them. how long has it been since u checked them

redbeard
04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
bought the boat and trailer 1 year ago and it had a trailer "safety" inspection or some tag attached to it and I was told it had been checked as a formality to them being allowed to sell it

ozynorts
04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Those inspection are only to ensure that the brakes and lights work. The bearings would not have been inspected.
Pull it all apart and go from there. While it is all apart do a thorough check of you disk rotor's and brakes pads. You have had it a year so just consider it your annual service.

Rodman
04-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Mate where there is rust then there be rust in them bearings

ken

Kingfish Express
05-09-2014, 08:53 AM
It'd be worth jacking up your trailer and giving the wheels a roll. If they sound growly, then you know you have corrosion issues. Its no substitute for a pull apart inspection, but a good indicator.

aussiebasser
05-09-2014, 09:16 AM
The bearing buddies look shot, no way to tell about the bearings from the photos. If you haven't greased them for a year there's a pretty good chance they may be shot though.

redbeard
05-09-2014, 03:43 PM
yeah thanks guys I think I will chat to my neighbor mechanic and ask him to show me how to replace them. It would be a disaster for things to pack up on the way to the boat ramp early one morning !!!

thanks for all your input which has been very much appreciated !!

GBC
05-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Those inspection are only to ensure that the brakes and lights work. The bearings would not have been inspected.
Pull it all apart and go from there. While it is all apart do a thorough check of you disk rotor's and brakes pads. You have had it a year so just consider it your annual service.
They actually do jack the axle and check the bearings as part of a roady. I sold a boat last week and the mobile roady dude told me my front right bearing was shot and needed doing. Which was just as well since I was towing it to Gympie to meet the buyer half way the next day.

BigE
05-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Ditch the bearing buddies and replace with some good quality bearing seals and caps - then don't put them under water when launching and retriving the boat. If you must put them under then replace them every year or so. most wheel bearing will last a long long time if not submersed in water and most will fail very quickly if water gets into the bearing.

BigE

ozynorts
05-09-2014, 08:57 PM
They actually do jack the axle and check the bearings as part of a roady. I sold a boat last week and the mobile roady dude told me my front right bearing was shot and needed doing. Which was just as well since I was towing it to Gympie to meet the buyer half way the next day.
Interesting, had my trailer done recently and mine didn't get checked......

Crunchy
06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Jack up to check brakes work rather than bearings but if they notice issue with bearing sure they would say something

Dignity
06-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Check the bearings with your neighbour's help, nothing like learning some new ropes. May not be all bad news as I can see bearing grease pushing out but that could also be an indicator that the bearings were over packed with grease.