PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen

lee560
01-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Just wondering what others have used for windscreens it's for a centre cab? Polycarb,Perspex,glass ??
Also i think someone had a thread about stainless seat frames just chasing brand and if anywhere in wa stocks em.
Cheers

bonneville
04-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi Lee,
with regard to what to use for windscreens, not sure on the set up for a centre cab. during my youthfull apprentiship days, I fitted a lot of boat windscreens ! mainly to small runnabouts. Perspex is a one directional "acrylic" which, on impact can and does break, polycarb is a woven acrylic which is cross directional, there for wont break, can be drilled and is probably more preferable, safety wise. there was a poly carb available which was rated for marine use, which effectively meant the salt took longer to eat into it, but it came at a price. if your going the acrylic way, just get standard polycarb and make the system you use to install it, easy to swap it out when it eventually crazes up.
if you go the glass route, it must be safety glass, laminated is easily broken, toughened glass is heat treated to be about 6-8 times stronger than normal glass. other things to consider, glass is heavier. you would go a minimum 6mm thick in either laminate or toughened ( toughened would be the better option) its easy to work out the weight, glass is 2.5 kilo's per mm thick per sq meter. so a square meter of 6mm glass is 15 kilo's in weight, which is probably double that of poly carb.
I would personally go polycarb, it can be drilled, cut and bent to fit any said curvature, a lot lighter than glass, unbreakable and if looked after could last you a decent period before needing replacement......
hope this helps
bonneville