PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle advice

WHY KNOT
01-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Ok so I've purchased a 23ft striper and need a tow vehicle as I am currently borrowing my brothers Patrol to tow it. I have a very tight budget of $5000, it has to be 4x4 and tow 3 tonne. I have found a few Land rover Dico 2's v8 and Mercedes ML320 6cyl petrol.

Will only do 2 to 3 long distance trips a year of about 1400kms return but mainly just 30km to the boat ramp and back

Please help I don't know much about the cars I have mentioned and cant find anything better.

Thanks

ozscott
01-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Disco 2 v8 preferably on injected lpg.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gofishin
01-09-2014, 10:50 PM
... it has to be 4x4 and tow 3 tonne.... you mean 3.5t!

On an alloy trailer it might sneak under 3t absolutely bone dry, but add a 10 ball and a rod and you will be in 'no insurance' land - give or take a few spare 10 balls :)

Buying with that budget in mind you should also factor in a few unplanned repairs, if you haven't already.

Cheers
Brendon

WHY KNOT
02-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Brendon she will be over 3t you are correct. Also i have factored in a few repairs tho just hoping they stay on the cheaper side for now.
Does anyone have a Disco 2 v8 that can give some advise what to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussiebasser
02-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Have you considered looking at 2.0 to 3.0 tonne Japanese trucks. A $5000 Disco could well end in tears.

deancantfish
02-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi mate, I own a disco V8 that I bought to tow the haines with. Personally I'd prefer the diesel for the economy as the the crane I drive gets better mileage than the V8 .
Disco's are what they are, don't get one if you have no mechanical knowledge, their electrics are by Lucas, the prince of darkness, and weird sh!t happens to them. Having said that, I paid around 3K for mine with rwc and rego and it has been from brissy to the gong and tows the boat fine. You are probably better off with the truck option though...3.5t is a lot to tow and stop with a car.
Dean

ozscott
02-09-2014, 08:49 AM
The disco 2 is German Bosch with zero problems for Engine Management. I have had mine from new in 2002. 250,000 k later still love it. My disco 1 95 model is Lucas but a holden v8 dizzy now lives in it...

My d2 v8 on lpg averages 16l per 100k...so very cheap to run.

Drivetrain is tough on the d2. Only weakness is if the cooling system has been let go and she overheats. All alloy v8s do not like being cooked and head gasket failure follows 2500 skins later or do them yourself and save a fortune.
Cheers

Towie0
02-09-2014, 04:47 PM
I have used old F100's to tow with hey are great & you can get a petty on gas.
parts are cheap & easily sought
Easy to work on if you are so inclined

get an old bench seat jobbie & a roughy for towing if thats all it will be used for & it will pull all day leaf suspension will carry the load easy & like others said 3.5T is alot to ask of a std 4wd type car like the DIsco.

WHY KNOT
02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks Guys for the input. I towed the boat back with a 2010 Patrol 4cyl diesel from Townsville to sunshine coat so I think the v8 Disco2 will do it very well.
I am not concerned about the fuel consumption as it will only tow the boat and do a few trips up the beach for camping.

ozscott - That why I am looking at the Disco2 as the Bosch engine seems well put together.

This is the one I am looking at getting http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Land-Rover-Discovery-2001/SSE-AD-2462341/?Cr=19&sdmvc=1

Cheers

Towie0
02-09-2014, 04:55 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clontarf/cars-vans-utes/1985-ford-f100-ute/1054824337

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=7&R=16574816&trecs=58&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=1465126A71D4&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965923% 204294966463&silo=1011

FNQCairns
02-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Gee really like the 4x4 red one..what a cracker car compared to today's modern offerings.....still no matter a good working aircon is a must and rip the stupid woofers out....I would own that red one...but the damn patrol just will not quit.

ozscott
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Mate the heaviest I have towed (my Vag is only 2 tonns) is about 2.8 tonns - see photo. It towed big trailer very well, but at the end of the day the D2 is a 100 inch wheelbase - ie short, so its not the best tow vehicle if you are going to stick 250kg on the tow bar - both of the heavy trailers I tow and a van i tow all have 150kg nose weight as measured...short wheel base vehicles will pitch compared to say an F100 (avoid the F150). You just can beat distance between the wheels for towing with heavy nose weights. I run air bags which help a lot. If you are doing long trips AND if the striper has say 200kg plus nose weight I would go a long wheel base beast like an old F100 and gas it up (if you want a wider range and gun vehicle offroad, look at the old defenders - say 110 or better still for towing 130 inch wheelbase models). I have a 95 d1 V8 auto and she has towed almost 4 tonn (my 95 was rated to 4000kg) - a GQ Comp truck on a big trailer with parts etc) and did it fine, but it was a short highway trip.

The D2 is still a light truck at 2100kg kerb weight for a manual V8 base model however if the trailer has good electric brakes you wont have a problem however and they are safe. Mate the Mercs are not built for towing like the D2 and if you want some fun the D2 as a stocker is a gun offroad. I would get a D2 with centre diff lock or at least the lug nut on the transfer case output housing to take a basic cable pull...they went a couple of years with traction control alone which was a bit silly.

What you cant see in the photo below are all the gazebos, aluminium riggers, tool boxes, tables, steelwork etc...she is heavy and massive wind resistance.

Cheers

brett62
02-09-2014, 06:07 PM
I got tied of trying to work out what to buy to comply with the regulations and ended up buying a 4.5 ton diesel dual cab trader with a tipper body so I can use around the yard. Not the prettiest bit of equipment but does the job. Hard to get something that will do the job and comply so you have insurance if something goes pair shape. A lot of boats getting around on trailers that don't comply. All good till something happens. My boat comes in at 2.1 ton dry and by the time you add gear, fuel and trailer your over.

Crocodile
04-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Hello Reflection,

The $5K budget is a bit limiting.
What other cars do you have?
Perhaps sell one of them + the $5K and get a better L/cruiser or Patrol.
It would save on rego/maint/insur on another vehicle that gets limited usage.
If you do plan to do some longer trips it might be better to have a more reliable vehicle than say an old Disco or whatever.

WHY KNOT
04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi Crocodile,

I don't have any other cars I own, only a company car.

An to the other Guys who suggested a Light Truck, I will be using it to take the family to DI/Fraser occasionally so a truck is not an option. As mentioned I have towed the boat with a 4cyl diesel patrol 1200kms and was impressed what such a little engine can deliver and also the suspension was standard.

I've managed to stretch it to $6000 now, tho I am having a look at a 2001 Disco2 v8 on Saturday morning as I haven't even been in one also found a 2000 Disco 5TD manual that looks promising.

Cheers

gofishin
04-09-2014, 09:05 PM
...I don't have any other cars I own, only a company car... Have you considered swapping it for a car allowance, then buying what you want? You would be surprised at how attractive this is to many employers.

Would be a shame to have such a great boat but to be limited in where you can go with it without the fear of the tow vehicle letting you and your family down. Getting this sort of trip happening is always harder (and fewer) than expected due to many constraints. Don't want to miss any opportunity I reckon.

.... As mentioned I have towed the boat with a 4cyl diesel patrol 1200kms and was impressed what such a little engine can deliver and also the suspension was standard... if I am not mistaken, the 4cyl Patrols are only rated to 3.2t.

Be wary if you have to do that again with any sort of load in the boat.
Cheers
Brendon

WHY KNOT
04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi Gofishin,

They aren't handing out car allowances at the moment else that would have been my first option. The patrol is a manual and is rated 3.5T the auto is rated 3.2T.

I know its a big risk to take but that's the best I can come up with at the moment.

Is there anything else in my price range that im missing or should consider which will still meet my needs?

Cheers

gofishin
04-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Well there you go, I thought it was for both transmissions but not so.

Is your brother a regular decky on local trips? Just tell him you might need to borrow his truck on the odd occasion (for family trips) :)
Cheers

ozscott
04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
No mate. In that price range the d2 is unbeatable. Just make sure its had a proper svc history including cooling system flushes etc. Even the mighty japs need maintenance at over 200,000k so bear that in mind.

Cheers

DATCOL
04-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Just get a F truck My 1977 F 100 tows my 6 Met Gullwing weighs 2.4 T with ease 351V8 Cheers COL

WHY KNOT
04-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Ozscott, I know about the common oil leaks but where to look I am uncertain, also if there is any other advise on what to look for that would be appreciated. I will be servicing the disco at least every 5k and keeping an eye on all the fluids.

Gofishin, yes I have access the patrol when needed when my tow vehicle ain't up to it.

Cheers

ozscott
04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
The f100 are a good choice 4 sure...but most are 2 seat or 3 seat bench....how many kids do you have?

Cheers

ozscott
04-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Mate I will pm you tomorrow. In meantime sign up to AULRO.COM.AU and start reading.

Cheers

snatchy
07-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Gofishin,

The patrol is a manual and is rated 3.5T the auto is rated 3.2T.

Sorry but not quite right. I agree with what was written further up by gofishin;
GU 3.0 manual. 3.2t
GU 3.0 or 4.5 auto. 2.5t
GU 4.2 and 4.5 manual. 3.5t
GU ute. 2.5t then 3.2t later (3.0 CRD?)

WHY KNOT
07-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Snatchy,

You are correct I just checked the rating on the Patrol, I was going of false info.

Ozscott,

Only have one little bub and the wife that will go camping. Do you have a Land Rover? I am looking at a 1999 v8 4L with 200k kms very clean and well looked after from the pics

ozscott
07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi mate. Sorry I got caught up. Yes I have a 2002 d2 v8 manual on sequential lpg injection and petrol. It has 250,000 and I have owned it since new. Very comfortable and reliable vehicle. They are a weapon off road particularly with the spigot to allow cheap re installation of the centre diff lock...there are threads with photos on AULRO so you can check if spigot is there before you buy. The traction control off road is great. The small things that go wrong are easy to fix - see AULRO community. Chances are at the age of mine you will get rear main oil seal leak and diff pinion leak and likely slight front axle leak...although some you look at might have had some or all of the above fixed. They are prone to ABS error lights but there are very cheap fixes for that. Mine has original wheel sensors bar one which had a plug smashed by some ham fisted mechanic. The transfer cases are very tough. Unlike the Disco 1 (I have a 95) the d2 has stronger solid rear axles and tough range rover half shafts and cv joints in the front end. They are prone to front prop shaft unis failing...due to mechanics not knowing that you remove a grub screw and thread on a grease nipple for greasing and then replace the grub screw....they dry out. The v8 clutches last forever. The manual trans can get a little noise from about 200000 in 5th but if it doesn't worry you it will keep chugging along. Suspension gets tired at 250000 spring wise but these trucks don't tend to have bushing problems etc. the suspension is well built.

Cheers

WHY KNOT
09-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys for all the info and input. I bought a 1999 Dicso 2 v8 4L that seems in and good condition with only little things that needs attention.

ozscott
10-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Good stuff mate.

Cheers

Chimo
10-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Take it to Oz's place to get those little things fixed. He's your man!!

ozscott
11-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi Reflection - your inbox appears to be full mate. I tried to reply to you PM:

Sweet as mate! They get under your skin thats for sure. Mate the seat could be a fuse (under the seat) or if they look ok its probably the switch itself that need pulling apart and cleaning with corrosion x or innox etc and put back together - there are heaps of threads on the net about cleaning them. What city are you in?

Cheers

WHY KNOT
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi Ozscott,

Thanks for the advice on the seat I will have a look at it. I had her in at British Off road in Chevallum and they said the engine miss/vibration I have is to do with the coil packs and ht leads. So I got them ordered. Aslo they said that the airflow meter needs replacing but their a bit deer so I will give it a clean first and see how it goes. Now from what I can see its going to be fun replacing the Coil Packs, I had to get a exhaust manifold gasket as that have to come of to access them?

Cheers

WHY KNOT
12-09-2014, 12:05 PM
I live in Caloundra

ozscott
12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Mate you are well place then. You have British Offroad down the road. I can also give you another place to go...has your message box got space for a PM?

Cheers

AndrewB
12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
The land rover club meets at the badminton hall at the Nambour showgrounds on monthly basis, British off road are sponsors, so can tell you when, but wealth of knowledge with that lot on all things landrover.

WHY KNOT
13-09-2014, 10:34 AM
My message box is empty now!

Sandman
13-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Yep don't do it :) I have one and yes only for towing just recently spent $ $ on the head . Don't get me wrong they are nice and do the job but rego and insurance kills you. Much preferred my tdi or look at a td5.

ozscott
13-09-2014, 07:24 PM
The had gasket is a problem if the cooling system is let go...I have had mine since new and know plenty of others that have owned them since new.

Cheers

ozscott
14-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Mate coil packs are up behind the plenum to keep them out of the water when wading...these trucks have breathers as standard on diffs etc and eve as a petrol model are happy getting wet. The downside is having to have small hands to change coil packs. Easiest way is plenum off and access the upper firewall tbat way. Maf- cleaning will eitther buy you more time or will kill it. Genuine is the only way to fly with MAF. Coil packs once done will last well over 100,000k. As will leads usually.

Cheers

WHY KNOT
14-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Ozscott, do I need to take the intake manifold of to swap the coils out? I have the gasket if needed. What is the MAF?

Cheers

ozscott
15-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Mate I wont do coil packs - just too hard to get my hand in. On the other hand Murray at Jag and Rover spares (whom I recommend) I think has changed them without taking off the plenum. Im pretty sure when Brit offroad did mine they took off the plenum.

The MAF is the mass air flow sensor in the air intake tube. They are German Bosch like the rest of the system. They can cause rough running when out - they are a hot wire unit and the constant heat up and cool down eventually takes its toll on the wire and sensor, but they do last a long time. That is a 2 minute job you can do at home - ie to change.

Cheers

WHY KNOT
15-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Ozscott, I ended up doing the coils today, geez was it a job but happy with he outcome, engine us running soother and note power and response. The intake sensor will be my next step but for now I'm happy. Cheers