PDA

View Full Version : Sika 291 - How long before wetting ?

Scott79
26-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Guys,
About to make a mess with some Sika, how long do you normally leave it to cure before using?
It will be as gap filler / sealant for live bait tank pick up, so exposed as soon as the boat hits water.

Information on the data sheet is a little conflicting, but the suggestion is there for one week? Can one of the Sika experts confirm?

Thanks,
Scott.

scottar
26-08-2014, 02:34 PM
I have seen boats go back into the water in as little as about an hour (not that I would do that with mine). Provided the sika has skinned and thorough drying is not required for structural integrity, it should be ok. I normally like to leave it for at least 24 hours for stuff that is purely sealing and isn't structural

Scott79
26-08-2014, 05:03 PM
OK, cheers mate, I figured 24 hours would be sufficient, especially with the weather we have at the moment.

Thanks,
Scott.

bigjimg
27-08-2014, 08:05 PM
If you have water pressure on it while underway it will be destroyed. Especially if there is thickness to it. Jim

Scott79
27-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks Jim, it is in the transom sealing a pick up point, no more than a couple of mm thick around a skin fitting. The way this weather looks anyway the soonest it may see the water will be more like 2.5 days.
Cheers.
Scott.