PDA

View Full Version : Has this been the worst year ever for winds?

ThePinkPanther
25-08-2014, 01:57 PM
I am retired at Raby Bay with a nice boat at my doorstep but really do believe I have never seen the winds as consistent and strong as they have been this year!

I am always ready to go out at the drop of a hat but keep putting off the trip day after day due to the wretched winds!

I find that whilst my Whittley Cruisemaster can go out in winds up to 30 knots +, it is just too uncomfortable trying to fish so tend to wait for the 10-15 knotters to set in!

Guess I am a bit spoilt not being limited to weekends but nonetheless this year I have only logged twenty hours on the water instead of my usual 50-80!

Or am I imagining it?

Still_Dreamin
25-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Haven't been offshore since June. Every day/weekend I have off the winds have been howling. On the up side I have rediscovered fishing protected waters. Biggest bream this season 38cm and biggest whiting 37cm 480gm (caught two consecutively on cubed mullet flesh, go figure!) biggest tailor 42cm. Caught plenty of bags of 30+cm bream ( all eaten) All on flesh baits as I was targeting bream. Down to my last kilo of cobia and no snaps or pearlies in freezer. Desperate to get outside. Feel a sicky coming on soon ;)

Jsmfun
25-08-2014, 03:21 PM
mate if you are retired it is now your right to go when you feel like it thats not spoilt that earnt time of (lol)
and no you are not going crazy in your retirement either the winds have been abnormal in my observations as well just pray summer will be fantastic.
one positive is the snappa are not getting smashed so posibly bigger fish next year

Back In Black
25-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Sailors must love this weather!

Peter4
25-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Should be good this weekend - and I'm away elsewhere, of course...

rosco1974
25-08-2014, 05:08 PM
i reckon this weekend fellas,might be a bit of swell offshore but I a getting the boat loaded just encase...over the shit weather,has beena couple of non fishing weekends of late

Still_Dreamin
25-08-2014, 08:56 PM
I am on call this weekend so get your boats ready it should be beautiful

sharkymark2
26-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Have to rename Moreton bay as Wellington Bay. Pity the poor Pro fishing guides trying to make a living.

Keevers88
26-08-2014, 08:39 AM
shocking up north as well, we've had 3 excellent weekends this year so far where the weather has awesome. Other than that there has been only a handful of weekends that you would consider decent, best weather has been recently in the middle of the week and there is only so many sickies you can take..........

lbger
26-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Yep its bad now.. almost the moment i strapped a new outboard on the boat it started blowing and it hasn't stopped... Grrrrr!!!! I cant remember drinking so much beer as of late lol

Volvo
26-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Worst that i can remember for some time ey..

Dignity
26-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Always seems to blow when I can't go, although I have been discussing the same issue with my crew and it is definitely not a typical winter season here.