PDA

View Full Version : Under Cover Boat/Caravan Storage

captain rednut
23-08-2014, 07:39 AM
I notice all the trailer boat storage yards are full and when i rang them most have a waiting list so would anyone think a fully Locked up under cover storage facility is required??? that means boats/caravans would all be in a big shed out of the weather.
im just wondering as all the yards Ive seen there's no protection for the boats.
Any suggestions would be great.

scottar
23-08-2014, 07:57 AM
If you could build it cost effectively and keep the monthly space rental cheap enough I'm sure people would use it. The rack storage areas are sometimes under cover but they make them cost effective by stacking boats 3 high or more. The issue with lock up buildings is the extra costs and insurance liabilities/costs blowing the rents out to the point it is no longer as attractive for investment. From a personal level though, if I were to utilise storage I would definately prefer out of the weather and secure facilities

gofishin
23-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Sshhhh! Don't do it Jim, that's my early retirement plan! :)

Yes, I have thought about this a lot over the years. Makes good sense to me, as boats under a roof are a hell of a lot better off than outside or under a tarp.

My uncle had a great setup in the 80's up in Cairns, on Smiths Creek, so had a ramp too. Under cover plus yard. Some didn't want to pay the premium for undercover, but the big shed was always full with people waiting.
Cheers
Brendon

perko
23-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Insurance and councils kill so many great ideas. I have always wanted to do a boat storage facility somewhere. What would people pay per week for closed in storage ? What are people paying for open air storage at the marinas etc?

peterbo3
23-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Hi Jim. There is one on the West side of the Bruce highway just before the Kenilworth turnoff. Been there for years & seems always full. It is out in the sticks so people must be keen to have caravans, boats & RVs under cover.

captain rednut
23-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your replies as Ive got a heap of space im not using at my shed which would house about 10 large boats or caravans so it was just a thought?? my insurance i have covers that and it would help cover some costs.
Thanks Jim

rodneyk
23-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Hi Jim maybe some repairs / alterations alloy welding etc could be done there also I know someone that could do that and would not take much room I think theres still a bit of that required that others wont do Rod

death_ship
23-08-2014, 11:28 PM
ill give you 50 a week, do you have wifi?
hahahahahahaahaha

rodneyk
24-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Bubs keeping you awake bretty doesn't get any better than that cheers Rod

scottar
24-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your replies as Ive got a heap of space im not using at my shed which would house about 10 large boats or caravans so it was just a thought?? my insurance i have covers that and it would help cover some costs.
Thanks Jim

If you already have the space I would say go for it. Do a bit of research into costs at other facilities and look into disclaimers/rental agreements and what is required for other parties to keep goods on your premises -ie- if there is a fire, does your insurance cover everything or is the owner of the vessel that caught/caused the fire liable.

captain rednut
24-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Hey Death ship where have you been mate?? yeah WiFi is no trouble mate, would you like fries with that??
Thanks for your input scottar and yes there's lots of rules on this stuff so i will keep thinking but i think if the price was right that it may be attractive.
thanks Jim

Crunchy
25-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Where are you Jim, I need boat storage at the moment.

rodneyk
25-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Mens Boat shed mmmm maybe a dvd player some where to go instead of tackle shop buying more junk you don't need no women though just spoil a good Saturday arvo except if they cook some food then send them home

captain rednut
14-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Where are you Jim, I need boat storage at the moment.

Clontarf Northside of Brisbane.

3rd degree
03-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Curious to know if you ended up doing anything Jim?

I have a large shed on the Southside I haven't been able to find a tenant for and am considering boat/caravan/trailer storage, but am unsure of demand, and pricing.

cheers

jim

captain rednut
06-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Hi Jim
I have had plenty of attractive offers to house collectible cars and other big vehicles like a bus collection but i haven't much interest in boat storage at all which was my preference,
Thanks jim

Willdoe
06-12-2015, 09:07 PM
I spoke to a storage place near Sippy Downs Sunny Coast, price was $100/month. Big area, originally was an old plant nursery. Since then I have seen 2 long sheds - roofs but no sides go up and are fairly full with caravans, boats and cars. Also looks like some sheds for personal storage.