PDA

View Full Version : Outboard maintenance

Jimmy James
22-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I have a Mercury 115 (1999) on my old viking. I'm new to owning and looking after a boat and want some advice.
What are the white stone like blocks above the prop? Do they need replaced when worn as someone mentioned this to me - see photo 104906
Second question is about damage on the base of the outboard structure, below the prop. Mine has a significant chip out of it. Will this cause any vibration or reduced fuel efficiency? Again see photo - 104907104908
Thanks for your help

The Black Unicorn
22-08-2014, 10:13 PM
The white stone like block is actually a sacrificial anode. Its meant to dissolve before your motor does. The chip out of the skeg wont affect its performance at that size.

Cheers
Leo

Jarrah Jack
22-08-2014, 10:45 PM
The white stone like block is actually a sacrificial anode. Its meant to dissolve before your motor does. The chip out of the skeg wont affect its performance at that size.

Cheers
Leo

You ever been on a boat Leo?

LittleSkipper
22-08-2014, 11:45 PM
I have a Mercury 115 (1999) on my old viking. I'm new to owning and looking after a boat and want some advice.
What are the white stone like blocks above the prop? Do they need replaced when worn as someone mentioned this to me - see photo 104906
Second question is about damage on the base of the outboard structure, below the prop. Mine has a significant chip out of it. Will this cause any vibration or reduced fuel efficiency? Again see photo - 104907104908
Thanks for your help

If your concerned about your outboards performance you could purchase & fit a SkegGard to the existing damaged skeg. Problem solved. Google the name on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spaniard_King
23-08-2014, 10:38 AM
If your concerned about your outboards performance you could purchase & fit a SkegGard to the existing damaged skeg. Problem solved. Google the name on the internet.

The skeg is there to protect the prop, so you fit a skeg guard to protect the skeg.. what do you fit to protect the skeg guard???

Anything you bolt onto the gearbox below the water line will affect the engines performance so your comment above is very contradictive?

Jimmy James
23-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Cheers
Leo

Do the sacrificial anodes need replacing then after a period of time? How do you know if they a 'done'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy James
23-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not really concerned with protecting the skeg, just wondering if the chip out of my skeg will cause any vibration or prop imbalance if it is not repaired?

scottar
23-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I doubt it would cause enough turbulence to create any real issues but it will have some effect. I ran a motor with a similar ding for a good number of years with no adverse effects. I did smooth out the edges of the ding with a half round file so the water wasn't trying to flow around a square edge so to speak. As for your anodes - just give them a bit of a clean every now and then and replace them if they start to look heavily eaten away. Never paint them or spray them with anything like wd spray or lanolin. They need good clean contact with the water to be working at their best.

Jimmy James
23-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks very much scottar...

LittleSkipper
23-08-2014, 06:30 PM
The skeg is there to protect the prop, so you fit a skeg guard to protect the skeg.. what do you fit to protect the skeg guard???

Anything you bolt onto the gearbox below the water line will affect the engines performance so your comment above is very contradictive?

That's right! I'm not an outboard marine mechanic....I forgot!

ozscott
23-08-2014, 06:56 PM
just get it tigged up if your worried mate.

cheers