PDA

View Full Version : Lanox on outboard/ under cowling- a good idea...? Also, general tips to keep her good

quobbarockhopper
21-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi all

Have recently upgraded my outboard to a yam 150 4st and am obviously keen to try and look after her from new as much as possible... Been doing a bit of research and there seems to be some discussions about whether or not using lanox under the cowling to keep corrosion at bay is a good idea. Will definitely be using it on the exterior working parts (lift cylinders/ rams etc- the old optimax suffered from a bit of surface rust in these areas towards the end of her days) but not sure whether to use a light spray every now and then under the cowling...

- does anyone already do this?
- is there any areas under the cowling that should be avoided?
- does Lanox displace/ react with any of the grease/ lube on various parts that should be left alone?
- is it actually worthwhile?
- any other info on this anyone can give?

and more generally, any other tips/ ideas that can be done to keep her pristine/ working well? Besides the usual routine/ flushing/ servicing/ inspection etc..?

Cheers for the help!

Steeler
21-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Used Lanox not Inox all the time with no probs for under the hood.

scottar
21-08-2014, 04:03 PM
I use it on my Etec but my mechanic doesn't like it. Used it for years on my previous Evinrude and never had an issue. Just make sure you don't go too nuts around sensors and the like. Because it remains sticky it can attract a coating of dust.

Moonlighter
21-08-2014, 05:50 PM
My Zuke guy says its a good idea. Ive done mine. Keeps the salt off, just a gentle rinse every now and then and its clean as a whistle.

bluefin59
21-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Mine gets sprayed at service once a year with quicksilver engine protector . Matt

bigjimg
21-08-2014, 06:04 PM
If you don't want sticky residue use Protecta Spray Lube. Will not soften, harden, dissolve, break down or effect any component under the cowl. And it dries with no oily sticky residue. I've used this product on everything marine with not one issue for over 7yrs and now buy it by the carton. Jim

barney1979
21-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I recently had a new 150hp merc 4 stroke fitted and I was told by the mechanic to only use WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joffo81
22-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Lanox is a great product IMO. I have sprayed my entire 4x4 (including all electrical connections) for years now to protect against water and salt and I have never had a problem. Lanotech is a similar product but it stays very tacky after spraying.

Archer63
22-08-2014, 12:08 PM
My two cents worth...don't use lanox under cover at all.
I was doing this at first but found that when it gets hot ...it gets sticky.
Which is bad news around the throttle linkage as it can get stuck open.
I now use something thinner like Inox.
I only use Lanox on my trailer etc.
Cheers
Rob

daveo17
22-08-2014, 01:44 PM
i use silicon lubricant spray good for plastic and rubber parts.

scottar
22-08-2014, 04:33 PM
My two cents worth...don't use lanox under cover at all.
I was doing this at first but found that when it gets hot ...it gets sticky.
Which is bad news around the throttle linkage as it can get stuck open.
I now use something thinner like Inox.
I only use Lanox on my trailer etc.
Cheers
Rob

Watch the Inox. It does nasty things to rubber.

Spaniard_King
23-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Inox and WD40 will harden the insulation on wiring over time making it britol and subject to cracking with vibration.

The best product by far is any lanolin based spray protector, this is a natural product which does not affect wiring , plastic or rubber. I have engines I service with many thousands of hours using this product with very good results

kizza1
23-08-2014, 07:40 PM
definitely dont use inox crc or wd40. it actually softens the insulation around the wiring. it does take at least 10 years to do this but i have replaced 3 or 4 engine harness's that have deteriorated directly from the use of penetrating sprays. you could literally pull the insulation off like chewing gum. i have seen a few where the wiring has gone hard but i havent been able to pinpoint the cause of that. however the soft ones i have had 2 of them that were one owner engines and the owners were using wd40 and inox.
lanox or corrosion guard is the best to use.

The Woo
24-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Lanox, Lanotec, whatever the brand, Lonolin based anti-corrosion sprays are great stuff. Use away.

TheRealAndy
24-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I recently had a new 150hp merc 4 stroke fitted and I was told by the mechanic to only use WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No offence, but you mechanic is just giving you his subjective opinion. Mercury say to use Quicksilver Corrosion Guard.

Honda say to use their branded lanolin spray.

Yamaha say to use their yamalube product (forget what its called sorry).

I use lanox, cause its cheap and easy to get. Been using it for years, never had a problem. It makes it easier to clean. I avoid spraying it around belts so they dont slip, thats about it.

ozscott
24-08-2014, 12:24 PM
my mate had a black max. loved it with wd40 after every trip. 15 years and suddenly every bit of insulation turned to mush. Gary - spanyard king above has given the answer based on his experience as an experienced Marine mech. ..just follow that. its not an Opinion thing...there is only one correct answer.

cheers

TheRealAndy
24-08-2014, 09:59 PM
my mate had a black max. loved it with wd40 after every trip. 15 years and suddenly every bit of insulation turned to mush. Gary - spanyard king above has given the answer based on his experience as an experienced Marine mech. ..just follow that. its not an Opinion thing...there is only one correct answer.

cheers

I cant say about the WD40 and Inox, but I have also used lanox professionally in wet factories (think abattoirs and chicken processors) and can confirm it has no adverse effects on electrical/electronic parts.

ozscott
25-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi Andy. I can only personally say that I have seen the effects of wd40. I have to rely on others for innox history.

cheers

Gon Fishun
25-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Hi Andy. I can only personally say that I have seen the effects of wd40. I have to rely on others for innox history.

cheers

Used Innox on the 89 Rude v4 2st and most of the connectors under the cowl turned to mush, corrosion set in and had to replace all of them.
I had only used Innox and it took about 2 years. I can't tell you what or if anything else had been used previously.

Archer63
25-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips about Inox and WD40...obviously had no idea !!
Only went against the Lanox because I must have sprayed it around the linkages and they ended up sticking open.
Learn something all the time.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Rob

stevej
25-08-2014, 10:02 PM
i use inox wd40 and any water dispersant spray to remove rubber from my go kart
people who hit me leave rubber marks on my sticker kits and the stuff takes it off better then petrol

cant be too god for your rubber components under the cowl

davo
26-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Lanolin for me. I've used it at work. The insulation resistance is rated to 70Kv. I've saved electric motors with that stuff.