PDA

View Full Version : Tld 25 combo

ozscott
20-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Hi good people.

Looking for something to troll with and drop lures and baits down to medium deep water off the Gold Coast for dollies and Pelagics...don't want to spend a lot for occasional trips,

Would this fit the bill

http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/tuna-fishing-tackle/shimano-tld-25-tuna-trolling-combo-only-199/

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rodman
20-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Mate I would recommend the TLD25 reel. A very good reel for the price. U need to see the rod and get a feel for it to see if U feel it will do the job. A Rod of 10 -15 kg would suit your needs

Jsmfun
20-08-2014, 08:41 AM
that will work fine i brought a fin-nor biscane 20 and 25 for trolling only and loaded them with 500m 30pound mono. the 20 was on a 15kg rod and the 25 on a 24kg rod had them for 3 years since they came out caught heaps of spanish and spotties also tuna and a 15kg cobia and i think the tld is a better reel i just use a scrubbing brush with hot water quick scrub and all done no maintance needed yet drag are still nice and smooth.
a mate of mine said to me if i by a tld i should upgrade the barrings to ceremic for prolonged life hope this helps

cheers scott

ps i fish and troll the goldie most times i go offshore:)

ozscott
20-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Many thanks gents.

Cheers

scottar
20-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Nothing wrong with the TLD apart from the short handle. Fine for light weights but if you start fishing heavier or deeper you will want a handle upgrade.

scorpo92
20-08-2014, 06:38 PM
if u wanna fish deep water get a tyrnos. real quick retrieve.

PROS
20-08-2014, 07:51 PM
TLD is a girly reel, likes light pressure only, up the drag and it will fall apart next time you use it.
Disappointed in two consecutive purchases, wont buy another one again.
Have a look at Penn Squall, pricing should be similar but much better reel.

Max

The Black Unicorn
20-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Check these out. Have one . So far so good. Great value. Delivered free to door in 3 days.
http://www.dinga.com.au/penn-squall-lever-drag-reels.html

Cheers
Leo

The Silver Unicorn
20-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Check these out. Have one . So far so good. Great value. Delivered free to door in 3 days.
http://www.dinga.com.au/penn-squall-lever-drag-reels.html

Cheers
Leo

Do you actually fish leo or just troll fishing websites trying to pass on bad advice?

The Black Unicorn
20-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Do you actually fish leo or just troll fishing websites trying to pass on bad advice?

I think I know who is trolling here.
Cheers
Leo

Horse
21-08-2014, 08:06 AM
TLD is a girly reel, likes light pressure only, up the drag and it will fall apart next time you use it.
Disappointed in two consecutive purchases, wont buy another one again.
Have a look at Penn Squall, pricing should be similar but much better reel.

Max

That's a BIG call on the venerable TLD 25. They are a relatively bullet proof reel and in their 20+ years have built a solid reputation as a great workhorse that punches well above their weight. My drag is still fine after a couple of decades of solid work including Marlin to around 400lb. As good as they are I would rather grab a Squall from Dinga as there is no need to upgrade the handle and they are significantly cheaper. As for a rod I prefer 6'6"-7' in 10-15kg. The Livefibre 10-15 is my favourite but there are many similar rods out there

PROS
21-08-2014, 12:39 PM
That's a BIG call on the venerable TLD 25. They are a relatively bullet proof reel and in their 20+ years have built a solid reputation as a great workhorse that punches well above their weight. My drag is still fine after a couple of decades of solid work including Marlin to around 400lb. As good as they are I would rather grab a Squall from Dinga as there is no need to upgrade the handle and they are significantly cheaper. As for a rod I prefer 6'6"-7' in 10-15kg. The Livefibre 10-15 is my favourite but there are many similar rods out there

Good to hear you had a better experience with TLD than mine Horse.
Twice brand new TLD failed on me after the first Kingy caught, the barrel that controls the lever drag failed stopped going back in to free spool.

Penn on the other hand keeps catching them.

Noelm
21-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Even though they are not a top shelf reel, you would be one of the very few that have ever had a problem with a TLD, and they have been made for a couple of decades, pretty simple reel at a good price.

ozscott
21-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Many thanks Gents. The Squall looks like good value. Alan Tani seems to like them and the end thrust washers. I see they have been described as a Senator but graphite body. Just looking at the side by side photos with the TLD they 'look' stronger in design, but who knows.

Cheers

ozscott
21-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Just bought 3 of these - one for me for fathers day and one for each of my boys for XMAS (my 15 year old has been talking of a TLD with his pocket money, so this will knock his socks off)

http://www.dinga.com.au/penn-squall-40ld-w-free-30lb-braid.html

I know the 50lb rod might be an overkill, but I am assuming for the price it is probably a bit less heavy than the rating suggests...also for trolling and bashing around it sounds like a good match. I cant get over the price of this. Many thanks fellas.

Cheers

Horse
21-08-2014, 09:58 PM
You can't beat a deal like that

The Black Unicorn
22-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Very interested to see what those rods actually look like. There is a 30lb version as well if you wanted it. Give Josh from Dinga a call and see if he would swap? He is very approachable and helpful.

ozscott
22-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks mate. I asked him. He said the 50lb was actually rated 30-50 so will suit nicely.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozscott
27-08-2014, 03:05 PM
OK Got the gear. Feels great. Nice set up. The rod is pretty stiff, so Im thinking why not use the 30lb braid on another reel, and get some serious thread on the Squall.!! Yeeha! I am thinking about Fitzroy next year and off shore down in SEQ this year, so Im thinking this thing will hold onto Kingies if they dont have much structure to run to and I load for bear ...so Penn say you can have 65lb at 625 yards. of braid..is that poundage overkill or just being sensible in terms of what might likely grab my jig or lure etc? I would backfill with 60lb mono I have at home - old Jarvis stuff that is as thick as a straw.

Cheers

The Black Unicorn
27-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Mate just as a bit of a guide I got 450 ish metres of 15kg Platypus Lo Stretch mono on mine. Don't know what the dia is but would assume most decent 65lb braid would be thinner?

scuttlebutt
29-08-2014, 04:31 PM
As per the website, max drag for that reel is rated at 18lb, or just over 8kg. Unless you're going to do something to the drag system or are ready for burnt thumbs, anything over 30lb line is going to be wasted.

Looks like a great deal though.

PROS
29-08-2014, 06:02 PM
I use 60lb Mono for kings on Penn.
If using braid have a long leader, you will need a bit of stretch for the initial 30secs if fishing close to structure.
Hand on the reel to increase drag if fishing close to structure, decent size kings will take line out during the initial run.

ozscott
29-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys I think I will go 50 pound as a good compromise. As you say mate you can put your hand on the reel to get more drag.

Cheers

scuttlebutt
30-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Fair call. Good safety margin buit in there. When I first started fishing the reefs up here I was using a tld25 and measured the max drag on it. Came out at 8kg. 50lb braid was (and still is) the standard. Never a hope of breaking the line off the reel. I've tried the thumb on spool idea before though, and it's harder than it sounds.

Anyway, now I use a Tyrnos. More drag, faster retrieve, better handle, double dog anti-reverse. Just thinking out aloud, still reckon that Penn Squall deal looks good.

ozscott
06-09-2014, 08:17 PM
600 yard of 50lb braid and spool only at 2/3rds full mark....could go another 200 comfortably. Feels great. Comes with seat bracket and fitting hardware. Feels great

Cheers