PDA

View Full Version : Convert Tiller Steer Outboard to Remote Control (cable) Outboard

Angryant
19-08-2014, 07:13 PM
I am upgrading my tiller steer to a larger capacity outboard (40 - 60hp).
Is it possible to covert the new tiller steer outboard to a remote unit at a later date after installing a console unit?

As I am mechanically challenged any advice would be appreciated.

Angry

Rip it up
19-08-2014, 08:06 PM
I have done this with a 2012 f60 Yamaha. WS purchase from a pro crabber with 1500 hours on it. Tiller steer.

My mechanic converted it to a forward control motor. The only down side is that the tiller models miss out on the power head mounted trim and tilt switch position. So makes it difficult to install the transom saver bracket etc. All trim and tilt is done from the control box.

You might be better to order a forward steer model and get the tiller arm 2nd hand?

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.

Blackened
19-08-2014, 09:06 PM
G'day

Why bother?

My past boat was a tiller 50hp tohatsu (thundercat) and current has a tiller 70hp suzuki (15' plate boat). A properly setup tiller will not make your arm sore, and a properly planned and mounted electronics package will make the useable space on the boat much much better.

Dave

aussiebasser
20-08-2014, 07:07 AM
I have done this with a 2012 f60 Yamaha. WS purchase from a pro crabber with 1500 hours on it. Tiller steer.

My mechanic converted it to a forward control motor. The only down side is that the tiller models miss out on the power head mounted trim and tilt switch position. So makes it difficult to install the transom saver bracket etc. All trim and tilt is done from the control box.

You might be better to order a forward steer model and get the tiller arm 2nd hand?

It's dead easy to fit a pair of trim buttons at the transom.
Try Bias, or maybe Solas for one of these.

http://www.thmarine.com/userfiles/image/gallery/1215/original/TTC-1-trim-switches-jack-plate-switches-push-button-switch-transom-trim-remote-trim-switch-CLOSEUP-500.jpg

Rip it up
20-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks aussie basser.

They look like a good investment.

Angryant
20-08-2014, 06:48 PM

Just to clarify - I am selling the existing tiller steer and upgrading to a larger motor (40 to 60hp). The 60 hp will not be tiller steer therefore I need to install the cables, steering wheel etc. etc.