PDA

View Full Version : Speed zones do you ignore them?

Yobbo70
13-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Hello, I spent last weekend anchored up at "Millionaires Row" just south of the Jumpinpin on South Stradbroke island. I was anchored in the 6 knot zone. I was amazed at how many boats, big and small ignored the 6 knot speed zone and blasted through at high speeds, creating wash. My mate joined me in his boat and we rafted together for a night of fishing (mostly drinking and yahooing) only caught a few bream no sharks unfortunately, but early Sunday morning we had to unraft due to the amount of wash created by boats ignoring the 6 knot speed limit

shaungonemad
13-08-2014, 05:37 PM
It happens most places the areas I see most are the go slow areas for turtles ect.

metro_fisher
13-08-2014, 07:32 PM
I adhere to them when I am aware they are in force.

The funniest ones are where you have 4 knot zones leading to a boat ramp and some idiot passes you at speed. It isn't a race and you're breaking the law. The same person will stop the boat halfway up the ramp to get it ready for the road.

Unfortunately, there are idiots on and off the road.

Still_Dreamin
13-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Yes I follow the rules but they obviously don't apply to jet skis

Sprinter1
14-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Not me! I belt through them as fast as I can. I paid my rego, well a few years ago now but whatever, so I figure I should be able to get to wherever I want to go as fast as I can. Its my ocean now! Im usually chasing a charter boat to see where they go so dont have time to worry about what affects anyone else.

Jeremy
16-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I regularly go through that particular go slow zone near the tip of Sth Straddie. I slow to 6 knots and it bloody annoys me when other boats pass me on the plane. Needs more regular policing and some fines to slow some people down.

theoldlegend
16-08-2014, 02:16 PM
I've heard that moves are afoot to install cameras monitoring boats' speed similar to the speed cameras for motor vehicles. Should be interesting if it does happen.

wayno60
16-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Mate welcome to the gold coast!!!
That's why i do most of my fishing of a night and even then you'll still get the speedster running thru the 6kn zones.. Pretty game as the water police are out and about the broadwater and nereng river at all hours of the night...

Dignity
16-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Slow down at all the signs but it amazes me that there are many areas that aren't sign posted eg from Military Jetty all the wat to the Caloundra Bar it is 6 knots within 100 m of the mainland, very few slow down even when they see the 6 knot signs. I know jet skis get a slamming but here many of the locals ignore the rules and especially as they pass Bullcock Beach as there could be swimmers in the water. Another culprit is a local boat yard, the mechanic takes the boats down to the Power Boat Club ramp and will take off at high speed or sit at Bells Creek ramp and tune a motor on the ramp, OK if he did it on the low side but he always does it on the deeper side where most people want/need to launch.

Enough of a rant, must be something to do with this wet and windy weather.

wayno60
16-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Enough of a rant, must be something to do with this wet and windy weather.

its called cabin fever..

pipifin
19-08-2014, 07:43 AM
From memory, 40 knots (like I can go that fast) from the Marker out the front of the Powerboat Club to the Blue hole (amazing how many dickheads fly through here within 10 mtrs of anchored boats) then 40 again from the blue hole to the beacon out the front of the lighthouse/light beacon...... that is if you stick to the main route, jet skis often cut across the sand bars on the Bribie side, you know, where the kids are swimming.... Have to admit, the stretch from the lighthouse to Bulcock, isn't well known or well enforced as a 6 knot area. Everyone thinks that if they just slow down before they hit the Luderick fishermen, they will be right. To be honest, it wouldn't take much to put a speed limit sign there...... like the one in the Blue Hole that people ignore.

simsavage
19-08-2014, 12:50 PM
I ALWAYS have trouble unloading my boat as it is only small and the wash from other boats flying past the boat ramp makes things very difficult and also sprays my boat so everythings wet before I even get out on the water -.-

Dignity
19-08-2014, 07:12 PM
From memory, 40 knots (like I can go that fast) from the Marker out the front of the Powerboat Club to the Blue hole (amazing how many dickheads fly through here within 10 mtrs of anchored boats) then 40 again from the blue hole to the beacon out the front of the lighthouse/light beacon...... that is if you stick to the main route, jet skis often cut across the sand bars on the Bribie side, you know, where the kids are swimming.... Have to admit, the stretch from the lighthouse to Bulcock, isn't well known or well enforced as a 6 knot area. Everyone thinks that if they just slow down before they hit the Luderick fishermen, they will be right. To be honest, it wouldn't take much to put a speed limit sign there...... like the one in the Blue Hole that people ignore.
Trouble is not all the area from the lighthouse to the luderick fishermen is 6 knots, only if it is 100 metres within the mainland and I have mesasured it and found it . I have spoken to the those who manage the signage and they have trouble understanding what is required. One of the worst offenders I have struck in this area was a Marine Parks vessel however when I reported it they claim there had been no vessel in that area at that time.