PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to Queensland fisheries review public consultation meeting

aussiebasser
12-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Queenslanders interested in the future management of the state’s fisheries are encouraged to attend their local public consultation meeting, hosted by independent consultants MRAG Asia Pacific.

Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister McVeigh today announced the dates for a series of public consultation meetings on the fisheries review in major ports and locations in Queensland.

It is important all fishing sectors, as well as other community groups with an interest in fishing, provide input into the review.

The meeting dates and locations are:

Gold Coast, Wednesday 20 August, 5-7pm, Nerang Bicentennial Community Centre (Main Hall), 833 Nerang Southport Rd, Nerang

Mooloolaba, Thursday 21 August, 5-7pm, Lake Kawana Community Centre (Room 5-7), 114 Sportsmans Pde, Bokarina

Wynnum, Saturday 23 August, 9-11am, Wynnum Hall,Cnr Bay Tce & Cedar St, Wynnum

Redcliffe, Saturday 23 August, 2-4pm, Redcliffe QCWA Hall, Redcliffe Pde, Redcliffe

Rockhampton, Tuesday 26 August, 5-7pm, DAFF Conference Centre, Parkhurst, North Rockhampton

Gladstone, Wednesday 27 August, 5-7pm, Gladstone Entertainment and Convention Centre, Conf room “A”, 58 Goondoon St, Gladstone

Bundaberg, Thursday 28 August, 5-7pm, Bundaberg Civic Centre, Supper Room, 190 Bourbong St, Bundaberg

Hervey Bay, Friday 29 August, 5-7pm, Hervey Bay High School Hall, Beach Rd, Pialba

Tin Can Bay, Saturday 30 August, 10am-12pm, Tin Can Bay Community Centre, Tin Can Bay Rd

Cairns, Monday 8 September, 5-7pm, Cairns State High School, “N” block Science Auditorium, Upward St, Cairns

Innisfail, Tuesday 9 September, 5-7pm, Innisfail Concert Hall/Shire Hall, Rankin St, Innisfail

Townsville, Saturday 13 September, 9-11am, Townsville Show Grounds, Large Functions room, 72 – 104 Ingham Rd, Townsville

Bowen, Sunday 14 September, 10am-12pm, Bowen State High School, 1-9 Argyle Park Road, Bowen

Mackay, Monday 15 September, 6-8pm, PCYC Hall, Mackay, Off Norris Rd, North Mackay

Karumba, Sunday 12 October, 9-11am, Karumba Civic Centre, Karumba

*Burketown and Thursday Island meeting dates are to be scheduled.

The meetings are an important forum for anyone interested in the future management of fisheries as it offers the opportunity to provide input into the review.

MRAG Asia Pacific will also be accepting written submissions via email at qldfisheriesreview@mragap.com.au.

Written submissions close on Thursday, 30 October at 5pm.

MRAG Asia Pacific can be contacted on 3371 1500 or email info@mragasiapacific.com.au

aussiebasser
12-08-2014, 02:27 PM
I guess it's just a coincidence that all the meetings are being held in Coastal areas. Freshwater anglers not welcome unless you want to drive to the coast.

Camhawk88
12-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Not a coincidence- common sense.
Considering the vast amount of fisheries legislation is marine based, most recreational fishing effort and just about all professional fishing effort is in coastal areas this makes sense. If they did some of the major inland towns people would whinge that their little whistle stop town with an ephemeral stream that flows once every 5 years wasn't included, or that fisheries are on a junket wasting tax payers $s etc.
At least their consultation hours are outside normal working ours so most people can make it. Of course that may mean night shift workers are not welcome?
There is always someone who has to have a bitch and spit the dummy.

honda900
12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
** Note ** also there is no Redlands shire meeting.. Before you ask, Wynnum falls under Brisbane City Council.

No-one will be really welcome, basically they will lay down the pre-determined options and tell you their preference.. that's apparently how consultation works.

Regards
Honda.

sharkymark2
12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Bit like the swiss girl I was engaged to....she said 'we will do it this way".

honda900
12-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Until she rolls you over and gets the broomstick out.. fer you..

Regards
Honda.

Moonlighter
12-08-2014, 04:35 PM
I have emailed to ask them to tell me the purpose of the meeting (gather info or get reaction to proposals etc), for an agenda or something else that shows what the meeting will cover and hiw they will conduct it, and any documents that will be canvassed etc at the meeting.

I have told them we want to be prepared for what is being discussed at this meeting. No point turning up if we are not prepared is there?

aussiebasser
12-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Not a coincidence- common sense.
Considering the vast amount of fisheries legislation is marine based, most recreational fishing effort and just about all professional fishing effort is in coastal areas this makes sense. If they did some of the major inland towns people would whinge that their little whistle stop town with an ephemeral stream that flows once every 5 years wasn't included, or that fisheries are on a junket wasting tax payers $s etc.
At least their consultation hours are outside normal working ours so most people can make it. Of course that may mean night shift workers are not welcome?
There is always someone who has to have a bitch and spit the dummy.

Queensland has an excellent Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme, word has it that it will be abolished in favour of a state wide licence. You can then write off the complete inland fishery, and please don't kid yourself that that is insignificant. This stinks like the decisions have been made and they're just ticking the public consultation box again.

hungry6
12-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Did I hear someone laying down foundation for a fishing license?

Lucky_Phill
12-08-2014, 07:21 PM
FWIW, the LNP have no mandate or plan to introduce a licence.

Not discounting it, but I have been assured by inner party people.

Again, as in the previous decades, we recreational fishers have NO singular voice, no representative body to argue our points to the Pollies. Only the Commercial guys have that.

It has been offered to me that if we are to pay for a rec fishing licence, we then are official stakeholders and our voices will be heard. ??

I am afraid without the benefit of foresight, this and any other Govt past and present, are lacking in vision to undertake the necessary steps to provide a world class fishery. A couple of strokes of the pen and not a huge $ investment can see the States fishery turn around from failing to enhanced and onto flourishing...

Until we rec fishers have a truely governing body, we are but fish fodder to the Govt of the day. :( :(

LP

aussiebasser
12-08-2014, 07:30 PM
It is well known that the Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Forestry really do not care about recreational angling. The Dollars are with Agriculture and Commercial Fishing and the Loggers. Rec anglers will never be heard until the sport is put under the umbrella of Tourism, or Sports and Recreation. These sham public meetings have been purposely based in the hub of Commercial fishers. What does an Angler in Roma or Emerald have to do to attend a meeting? The decision has been made, this is just a box ticking sham.

rayken1938
12-08-2014, 07:45 PM
And more fragmentation with fresh vs salt rec fishos.
The inland fisheries are solely recreation/ tourism based and are part of the lifeblood of so many rural communities and these people deserve to be able to participate in the process.
The locations certainly appear to be favoring the commercial sector with places such as Burketown and T.I listed. I too would wish to be aware of the agenda to be proposed at the meetings. I fail to see how anyone can make decisions without any prior notification.
Cheers
Ray

Horse
12-08-2014, 08:38 PM
At least the previous government released discussion papers prior to consultation

chris69
13-08-2014, 12:08 AM
FWIW, the LNP have no mandate or plan to introduce a licence.

Not discounting it, but I have been assured by inner party people.

Again, as in the previous decades, we recreational fishers have NO singular voice, no representative body to argue our points to the Pollies. Only the Commercial guys have that.

It has been offered to me that if we are to pay for a rec fishing licence, we then are official stakeholders and our voices will be heard. ??

I am afraid without the benefit of foresight, this and any other Govt past and present, are lacking in vision to undertake the necessary steps to provide a world class fishery. A couple of strokes of the pen and not a huge $ investment can see the States fishery turn around from failing to enhanced and onto flourishing...

Until we rec fishers have a truely governing body, we are but fish fodder to the Govt of the day. :( :(

LP

As i see it Luckyphill i pay boat rego to go fishing so that makes me a stake holder and for them to suggest that if we pay for a fishing licence our voices will be heard, that to me just stinks,its dose not belong to who ever is in power at the time or to the inner party people,next time your talking to the inner party people you might want to mention that to them.

aussiebasser
15-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I've received positive feedback from two local MPs, This from Sean Choat, Member for Ipswich West.

Thanks for your frank feedback Dale.

The reality is that holding meetings needs to be more than something held at the source – as I believe many of those who have something to offer will be from further afield and these are the people with much vested interests and they also have much to contribute given that they are more likely to be supporting local economies when they travel for boating and fishing.

I will see what can be done to support ‘our people’ in this regard.

Thanks again,

Sean

BigE
16-08-2014, 10:57 AM
rec fishers will always get the rough end - particularly when we can not muster much more 1% of any voting block and even then it is pretty fragmented , it would take a pretty ballsey pollie to even try to harness that type of voting block and even then the disunity of fishers would be like shoot both your feet off in short order, other voting blocks are much more "pollie friendly" and easier to negotiate with. In all honesty if it was your political neck on the line who would you deal with - a block of disciplined voters with a common cause and good sellerable public vision - or a Mob of disenchantered voters with no real voting block structure or common vision and aboslotely no disciple whatso ever in relation to policy or public comment....... it's long been said disunity is death and in a political sence it is a reality, it would be easier to pick up a fresh turd by the clean end then to unite any sort of recreational fishing voting block, ...... if i were a pollie , i'd run hard and fast.

BigE

Moonlighter
16-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Aussiebaapsser - there is a freshwater rep on the advisory panel. Suggest you get into contact with him and make your concerns known, and maybe get some info back in return from him about the actual issues being canvassed. At the moment, i think there is a lot of rumour and supposition around and it may be that people are unwittingly chasing their own tails.

details: Mr Les Kowitz - Recreational fisher, Executive Officer, Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland.

let us know how you go.

As well as knowing some of the rec fishing reps, I also know a couple of the pro fishing reps, John Page and Neil Green, on the same Ministerial Advisory Committee as they worked closely with us recreational sector reps on the Moreton Bay Marine park rezoning. They are very decent guys who see the big picture, want a sustainable fishery for everyone and I think will try to get the best result for the whole fishery, not just pro's.

In many cases, the issues that piss the rec sector about how some pros operate are the same issues that piss these guys off too.

Unfortunately, Governments in the past, who have been quite aware of these things, lacked the balls to do what they know needs to be done to sort it out. I know that there have already been "investment advisory" notices issued to some pro licence classes, that means that they are on notice for changes and cant do anything to try to get around any changes that eventually happen or get more money for their licences than they are really worth, based on past catch data.

From what i can gather, this review is not looking at micro issues such as fish sizes and bag limits at all, it is looking more broadly at the overall management structure and system. Issues like transferability and tradability of pro licences, where they should be used or not used, It might look at whether some species should be rec only, though, either statewide or on certain zones.

Issues like recognition of recreational fishing in the legislation, sorting out once and for all the issue of commercial licences that are latent, zoning arrangements for commercial licences to enable their effort to be better managed and so forth.

I am hearing that the advisory group are all pretty well on the same page (rec, commercial and scientific reps) in regard to these kinds of matters. Sunfish is in there representing rec, as well as a couple of others.

i suspect that even if at the end of the day, all groups on the review reach agreement (which these seems to be a reasonable prospect of achieving) that the hardest part might be getting the Government to adopt and implement the agreed changes.

$ and political will in the lead up to the election might be the stumbling block.

Lucky_Phill
17-08-2014, 04:23 PM
I will be attending as many \talks as possible.

I have made my small submission / contribution.

Submission to Queensland Fisheries on request via the Review 2014.

Funding of the Recreational Fishery in Queensland.

The RUF is an ideal solution for utilising funds to support all recreational fishing infrastructure, administration and management. Further funding can be gained via Private Investment backed by taxation incentives.

A Viable Fishery.

This word “ viable “ gets bandied around a lot and depends on who you ask has different meanings, but as far as recreational fishing goes, it has one meaning.... sustainable. To create a sustainable recreational fishery there has to be many management undertakings aimed specifically at the recreational fishing industry.

Funding and deployment of a vast artificial reef system covering the length of the Queensland coast will be the most economically viable management tool for the Government to use.

Wild stocking of “ bread & butter “ species will return investment to the state via tourism and increased local recreational fishing activities.

Major reductions in commercial “ non-selective “ fishing practices within the inshore fishery.

Aquaculture enterprises to enhance the local seafood markets, which also include the bait supplies for recreational fishers.

Real science to assess the fishery which in turn can be utilised to manage all Queensland fisheries in a sustainable manner.

Reduce the complex legislation & guidelines in regard to species size & bag limits, no take species and closed seasons and areas.

Genuine conversations between recreational fishing groups and Government Departments governing this portfolio, but having said that, reduce the number of Governing bodies that encompass Recreational fishing.

Recreational fishing to have an “ ownership “ of the fishery, similar to the commercial industry and indeed be recognised as “ Stewards of the Sea “.

Strong policing of both Recreational and Commercial fishers with penalties reflecting the seriousness of offences.

Education activities at school level to provide Queenslands kids with the knowledge of benefits of a viable fishery.

Acknowledge the Health & Well Being, Social, Educational and Economical advantages that Recreational fishing provides to a community.

Establish Recreational fishing only havens in populated areas at shore, inshore and freshwater locations.

Queensland has within it's grasp, a chance to lead not only this Country, but other developed Nations of the world in the benefits of establishing a viable, progressive, sustainable, robust and economically prudent Recreational fishery. All it takes is vision and a little funding.

Phill Kliese
Recreational Fisher & Queenslander.
ecofisher@optusnet.com.au