PDA

View Full Version : Powercat 2600 or 3000

kaypee
11-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi lads,

Wondering if anyone has any comments, good, bad or indifferent about either the 2600 or 3000 Powercat??

I have some questions or ideas but thought I'd wait to see what was said before I mentioned anything...
Done a bit of searching but can't find anything conclusive so thought I'd throw it out here.

Cheers

Captain Seaweed
11-08-2014, 08:39 PM
I have a Glacier Bay 2600 Coastal runner....similar boat, what o you want to know Kapee

Cheers
Marty

kaypee
12-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Hey Marty,
Was mainly around their performance and quality....
So probably not really comparable to yours although the Glacier Bays interest me also. Don't know what I want to do yet so just checking all avenues. (as you do)

I'm thinking the next boat (cat) will be more aimed at extended stays and exploring so thats why I'm thinking these sorts of Cats....

Chimo
12-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Friend had a 26 that he bought new and found there was a lot of misting around the motors.

It could probably be coped with if the air intake was taken up above the bimini / roof line to get dry low salt air. There are a few pics of similar setups on the web.

Also had issues with stray electrical currents. Boat was kept in the water with 240 volts connected and somehow stray current chewed the legs really badly. Something was not wired correctly from new it would seem?

Solved all his issues when he sold it.

They ride nice tho.

Have you looked at the 25 fishing version?

kaypee
12-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah Chimo I have... pretty sweet version huh? Haven't seen one in the flesh yet but they look like a fair chunk of a boat in pics... would struggle to get one 2nd hand though and they're well out of my league brand new...

I'm waiting patiently for Voyager to finish their V625 Getaway model because I think that will be the answer but like I mentioned it doesn't hurt to cover all bases...
The reason I even concidered looking at Powercats is the volume of boat you get for a reasonable price 2nd hand... of course thats just going off picture value, but got me intrigued...

They seem to have reasonable performance figures with fairly small HP so I'm thinking they are made light or not up for some punishment??

Chimo
12-08-2014, 02:15 PM
From the limited look I had at the mates boat and others including the 25 they looked to be solid enough. They have good length and so do go well. They are going to be a lot less troubled by extra weight than the shorter 59 hundred and the 625. There was a very honest comment re the 59 hundred about why it was the length it is and how the added pod is not in the length equation.

If you looking at Powercats why not also have a good look at the 930 version of the Voyager. There are a few around now. Another friend had one with twin 200 Yams and it was very smooth with lots of room. a double in the bow plus the two singles to port and a good head shower etc forward of the helm stbd with fridge and stove on port side. Heavy steering but it is a big boat not for trailering.104668104669Also some have diesel power with sterndrives and no pods. 900 litres of fuel but check to see how the fuel tanks are standing up to time. http://www.boatsales.com.au/used/voyager/v930/
http://www.boatsforsales.net/2008-voyager-v930-for-sale/

You could always broaden your search and include the Arvor Weekender too with a nice shaft drive and a fair bit of fruit too.?
Have fun with the search

Chimo
12-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Whats your budget Kaypee http://phillipislandmarine.com.au/used-boats/powercat-3000/

kaypee
12-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Haha not that much mate!! Nice rig though! But if I had 200k to spend on a boat it wouldn't be able to go on a trailer I can tell ya!