PDA

View Full Version : Outboard not charging battery??

simsavage
08-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I have a 1969 evinrude triumph with electric start. The motor doesn't seem to be charging the battery which is very concerning when out on the water and is constantly on my mind as there is nothing worse then paddling back. My speedo has also been playing up whether that is related or not I'm not sure. I've had a quick look at the wiring around the stator. all looks okay.
Anyone had a similar issue?
I'm considering an electric minn kota but I think i'll buy a second battery to power it as I am not confident with the motor not powering my battery.

scottar
08-08-2014, 04:29 PM
There is a chance it is the rectifier or rectifier/regulator that has failed. Depending on which is fitted it is a pretty cheap fix if this is the case. If you aren't familiar with electrics best to see your mechanic. Definately fit a seperate battery for a minn kota as your charging system even if functioning won't keep up with a bit of use.

Moonlighter
08-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Speedo/tacho playing up is a classic sign of problems with rectifier/regulator. Get it looked at before it goes worse.

stevemid
08-08-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't know anything about your particular motor but I am amazed at how LITTLE charge these mid sized motors put out. IMO you really need to take enough charge from home to see you through your planned usage for the day.

groverwa
09-08-2014, 01:52 PM
This may not help but many years ago my Evinrude Lark 50hp stopped charging and after pulling the flywheel off I found that the wire connecting the charge coils had fractured in one spot. Soldered it back together, cleaned the magnet faces on the flywheel and problem solved.

Crunchy
09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Do you have a sounder or Gps that displays voltage? Look for ~ 14.5, if much lower then not charging