PDA

View Full Version : Sea Jay 5.0 Tuff Mate

hazza80
06-08-2014, 06:45 AM
I just sold my Yalta Craft, and am after something that I can easily manage solo up creeks and out in the bay (Hervey Bay) - pretty typical requests! There are a few models I'm looking into, and the Sea Jay 5.0 Tuff Mate is one of those. Has anyone had much experience in one?

I like how it has a 4mm bottom, sealed floor, capped keel and half pod transom, whilst also being a size that looks easy to manage (compared to big plate boats). Should be able to mount a minn kota i-pilot off the front (changing the grab rails).

Sprinter1
06-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I know it doesnt directly answer your question but Ive got a Blue Fin. They make plate boats in smaller sizes too. Mines 4.5M but they make them in 5M sizes as well. Ive been really happy with mine so far. Having a plate boat Ill never go back to pressed. There are some other manufacturers making small plate boats now. Lots of good choices.

Chris Tucker
06-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Give Rifen Boat (http://www.rifenboats.com.au/gallery/)s a call (up the coast in Rocky)

The Black Unicorn
06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Saw a 5m Tuff mate at a fishing comp in June. Looked an awesome boat but was pretty expensive. From memory I think it was 31k with a 70 four stroke.

hazza80
06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
@sprinter1 - cheers mate, I've looked at a few Blue Fin boats - they look good too and a few 2nd hand, but I'm drawn to Sea Jay's sealed floor (for basically the same price, possibly less)

@chris tucker - cheers mate, just opened their site and they look a decent hull without being too big - will look into them

@ one more drop - yeah, that is about the price I've seen - for a 5m CC with 70 Yam 4 stk and sealed aluminium flooring I think they are pretty reasonably priced. Was looking at the Sea Jay 485/500 Avenger and when you add in a half pod and the 70 4 stk, you're basically at the same $$$ (same with Quinny/Stacer) - I figure the sealed deck adds greater longevity/structure as well as convenience cleaning (crabbing, mackie blood, prawns, etc). Have been looking at prices more (Formosa etc) and less (Stessco Tornado sfx470 etc) and once you start adding your accessories like sounder/gps, VHF, minn kota, etc...it makes the more expensive boats quite high, and the cheaper boats entering the expensive category - I figure the Sea Jay are well built and the 4mm, sealed deck, capped keel, etc is going to last many years - so worth the extra to the Stessco/Quinny etc.

Shelby35
06-08-2014, 07:36 PM
The Rifen will be alot more than the tuff mate give curtis coast marine in Gladstone a call they have one there at the moment. I am currently looking at a 440 avenger there it is the cheapest I have found between rockhampton and Hervey bay.

metro_fisher
06-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Looks like a great boat. I particularly like the esky seat and fuel tank under the forward seat (more weight forward helps the ride). They've clearly put some thought into this boat.

hazza80
07-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Put a deposit on a 2010 Formosa Tomahawk 520 centre console with 115 etec - it's subject to a diagnostic history test and a couple of other things.... but we took it for a run, and I practised driving it on the trailer - not too difficult and being a plate boat will be better for my learning curve than my old fibreglass boat that I was always too worried to attempt. Rode well in average conditions and the etec had HEAPS of response - from 39km/h to 56km/h in an instant and not at WOT. Pretty stoked. Hope it all goes well diagnostically and I start getting out there as often as possible.

Sprinter1
08-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Wow. That was a sudden change in direction.;) Hope it all goes well. Sounds like what you are looking for.

hazza80
08-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I'd been looking at it all week (near work) - my only concern was it was too bulky for frequent, random, solo trips or back at busy ramps, hence why I was searching the Tuff Mate. But once I was shown how easy it is to drive on - worry left. So we took it for a spin... little wet on way out, adjusted trim, which helped the chines throw the spray down and the response in the etec was awesome. A few key features are comparable to the Tuff Mate - both welded floors, 4mm plate bottom, centre consoles - Formosa has swim deck, ladder and transom door (good for kids/wife and my aging body), it's beamy, has a roller trailer and most importantly the price with some accessories (HDS7, VHF, radio, LED gunnel lights etc).