PDA

View Full Version : Boat Project ideas?

simsavage
05-08-2014, 03:15 PM
As stated, just looking for some more ideas on what I can do to get more out of my boat. I recently completed recarpeting it which took a fair bit of effort but it has come up nice. the sides on the inside look a bit crap now as they are just the yellow fibreglass colour. I thought of painting them but I'm worried it'll look cheap?
Also considering installing a stereo?
Any advice would be great :)
I have added some before and after photos to help, sorry about the quality

Rotundo
05-08-2014, 08:00 PM
What you use the boat for most of the time will determine how to deck it out.

Rip it up
06-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Some photos of the whole boat would help.
Like rotundo mentioned the main time spent I the boat depicts what to set it up for.

My estuary boat is aimed at mud crabbing mainly. So a big flat cockpit is needed for the pots.
Forward controls, hydraulic steering. Chart plotter. And no aerials or rods in the air for those tight spots.

We do a lot during night time hours so good cockpit lights are needed. So the driver can still have vision. But the deckie can rig up pots and bait them.

The boat gets used in the summer time for water sports as well. So I created a receiver tube to swap between a bait table and a stainless ski pole. 4 bolts and I'm in holiday mode. It was difficult to re-enter the boat after a session wakeboarding. So I built a solid step on the transom with a fold down ladder.

Fuel capacity was important so twin 50L stainless tanks are used in the rear corners. Allowing for 25/30hr run time when camping with the boat in tow.

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you have been out boating and thought " shit that would be good to have" then chances are you could use it again.

My boat is shared by numerous people as it is indestructible and has a few cosmetic errors anyway. But it is mechanically maintained well and is fit for purpose. Everybody that uses it knows the rules and treats it with some respect. It gets way more use than the reef boats we have between the friends circle. 200hrs in 18 months.

simsavage
06-08-2014, 08:37 AM
It's only a small runabout (4m) mostly used for a day out with mates lure fishing or bait fishing in our local dam. I also use it to pull a biscuit which is a great day out. haven't tried to pull a ski yet as I only have a 55hp on it. would probably pull two but not sure about a single.
I have considered a minn kota electric motor which would be great when lure fishing. not sure what lb I would require though?