PDA

View Full Version : Going Deep on Sunday - Advise Needed

blairv70
04-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi All

Weather permitting looking at heading out from the Goldy to fish the 36's and 50's on Sunday.

I haven't fished this deep for a while and after some approaches to a few things:

1. Bottom Bashing - Still valid? I would think it would be rather low current this time of year is it worth using this approach?
2. Float lining - I am looking at drifting and floating baits down - any pointers on this approach/sinker size etc
3. Livies - Hoping to target Kingies/AJs/Cobia - where is the best place to sit a livey? On the bottom/mid water/pure floater?

Any other tips would also be appreciated

Thanks

Blair

ranga7
04-08-2014, 05:06 PM
For livies, find a bait school watch your sounder and put the lives somewhere need the bait. If the bait is 20 off the bottom drop to the bottom and wind up about 20m.
50's is prob a bit deep to float line better off bottom bashing or dropping a big plastic down and jigging it around, pearlies love em.

good luck

Jsmfun
04-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I fish the Goldie heaps as for live bait exactly what ranga7 said as for the 50's we where floating with 1 ounce and getting great strikes. When I'm on the fifths I through out a floater on a overhead in full free spool with ratchet on then do a bottom basher at the same time just wait for the floater to fly

Jsmfun
04-08-2014, 07:44 PM
On the fifths your looking for water around 85m

Dignity
04-08-2014, 08:00 PM
I haven't fish the 50's off the goldy but try float lining, we used to do it on deep tempest in 100m and get snapper usually well before the 50 m mark, they do come right to the surface at times and we weren't using anything over a 5 ball sinker. We have caught them trolling a bait for mackerel out there.

blairv70
04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the tips guys sounds awesome !