PDA

View Full Version : Burrum heads QLD

Mattywalton
01-08-2014, 04:43 PM
hey guys

planning to head up to burrum heads around new years this year. Just trying to gather some info on the fishing and boating up there as I've never been. Have a 6.2 seafarer and was wondering what the boat ramps are like, type of fish around that time of year in the river and out wide. also whats the run from the boat ramp out to the reefs and that like.

any info would be great.

cheers

matt

Mattywalton
01-08-2014, 04:59 PM
also recommendations on a camp ground or holiday park that has plenty of room to park the boat

Moonlighter
01-08-2014, 06:38 PM
There is a good caravan pk right on the river, and a boat ramp nearby. Ramp I believe is being done up. Not sure what it will be like for larger boats like yours.

I stay on the nth side of the river at Woodgate Beach. Its a lot quieter than Burrum. Handy to Bundaberg and Childers if you want to go to town or do something different for a day here and there.

We always rent a house there and you can do the same at Burrum. Often its not much more or even less than a cabin at the caravan park to get a whole house to yourself, and put the boat in the back yard. We have never had trouble with anything at Woodgate. We launch at Walkers Pt ramp which is basically opposite the ramp at Burrum.

Fishing out the front is good. I havent gone that far offshore, just up to the reefs off northern end of Woodgate and out to the Burrum 6 and 8 mile reefs. Get there early, fish light and you will get good snapper and sweeties, cod, mackerel, cobes, yellowtail kings, golden trevs etc.

Next time I go I am intending to go out wide to the Southern Gutters to chase red fish.

Waypoints to get you started can be found on the net if you do a bit of searching.

The river is a good option if its too windy offshore. Lots of area to explore and some rocky bars to get your attention. Barra, jacks, cod, big ting, flathead, kings, grunter etc at the right times. Muddies too.

SandStorm
02-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Watch out for submerged rocks in the river, a guy hit a few a week or so ago..

Mattywalton
03-08-2014, 04:46 PM
thinking bout heading to burnett heads now as it seems the boat ramp there is a lot better.