PDA

View Full Version : help seeking out rod and reel setups for boat and shore fishing in WA(perth)

Goldiepom
26-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi guys I'm new to Australia originally from the uk big time fisherman over there.
been going out every weekend here with a guy from work for around 2 months to see if sea fishing was my thing and have fished for buff bream of the rocks at free,bream in the swan and snapper from the boat i didn't have the correct rod to suit buff bream and snapper not that we hooked any snapper but we did lots of buff bream but i know my setup would be hard work or fail on the buff bream my rod just didn't have the power to stop them.i love the different types of fishing available in WA.
with different styles and species it mean more rod's and reels for different days but hey thats part of fishing.
ive purchased a cheap daiwa rod and reel setup for around $100 its nothing special at all but only really suits bream fishing in the swan river which means i have 1 rod setup for bream fishing for the time being untill i upgrade.
i went out on the boat with guys from work and my rod just wasn't man enough for wrasse let alone whats hopefully to come in the forms of tuna snapper gt's mulloway buff bream etc.
i am thinking to myself i am hoping to stay and live in Australia forever so investing in decent tackles got to be done.
I've been doing research into what i am targeting and styles of fishing I've been doing etc and using my freshwater knowledge from back home I've come up with these 2 setups 1 for of the boat and one for all round beach and of south mole and all other coastal rocks area's
my first setup is a shimano tcurve revolution inshore 702 snapper fished with a stradic 4000 ci4+ and 25lb braid
is this a good combo for out on the boat around the rocks and rotto etc targeting all that i can target during the course of the fishing year or is it too light being a 3-6kg rod as most say use 8kg rod obviously ill be targeting a lot of different fish etc but ideally i don't want to be over gunned for the lumps nor having no fun catching the smaller sized fish.

and my second setup is a shimano tcurve coastal in the 3m 8-15kg line rating as i really feel i want a 10ft rod for keeping fish away from rocks when buff bream fishing and also being able to cast with it for bottom fishing of the beach and rocks as well as hitting lures and floating balloons out with baits under etc. but i feel this 8-15kg might be too heavy i was thinking matching it with a 2500 stradic ci4+ with 20lb braid i could have this all totally wrong on both setups so all your input would be great.

i can't afford 6 setups so really looking at baling myself with 3 setups one for river which I've got a setup that will do for now but i need to get a shore/rocks setup together and a boat setup.
i also looked at the terez rods are they much better than the said rods i mean I'm not willing to spend stella reel money so would a stradic reel money be suited to such a high grade rod as the drag systems not as good as a stella?
also recommendations of braids to match up would be great too as back in the uk we only really see and use whiplash.

all help is very welcome for sure and if I've got it all wrong then all i can say is i am not too familiar with the beats of the sea.