PDA

View Full Version : Wild Banks Artificial Reef Regulations

kiwimex
24-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Can someone please inform me of the regulations with regards to fishing out at wild Banks, off the Queensland Government web site I am of the understanding that the reefs have been created for the use of recreational anglers, and no anchoring is allowed at the reefs...! or commercial fishing.

To cut a long story short I was out there today, saw another boat anchored on the GPS position of one of the artificial reefs... like right on it. so i was just sounding around getting my bearings and trying to pick up the structure, obviously because this guy was right on top of it I couldn't get too close, I was probably no closer than 75 meters to this guy. This guy then starts signalling for me to stay away etc, I though it a bit strange in a recreational fishing zone. I then decided to get closer to the guy and ask him what his problem was, he then states that he's a commercial fisherman and I can't come within 300 meters of him! Is this the case, do I have to stay 300 meters away? If so why is it not stated on the Qld government web site..?

These were the coordinates for the mark I was trying to fish..!

26° 54.678' S
153° 17.829' E

Cheers

Steve

bowds13
24-07-2014, 08:44 PM
As far as I was aware you couldn't anchor there or fish commercially. Rules may have changed since I looked last time, wouldn't really have a clue about that. But why didn't you just go to one of the other structures if he was on top of this one. There's 3 of them out there.

Lucky_Phill
24-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Here is the regs...

So the answer is NO, there is NO commercial fishing allowed on these reefs, we deployed them for recreational use only. Please report immediately any commercial fisher you see on or near these reefs.

kiwimex
24-07-2014, 10:27 PM
As far as I was aware you couldn't anchor there or fish commercially. Rules may have changed since I looked last time, wouldn't really have a clue about that. But why didn't you just go to one of the other structures if he was on top of this one. There's 3 of them out there.

I did go to another mark...! But thats not the point. I was fairly sure of what I read the night before. I knew the prick was up to no good..! I did let him know it was a no anchoring zone, to which he replied F you, you w..ker. Im a commercial fisherman and Ive been fishing here for ever.

Well you know what champ (I hope you read this forum) I have your boat details, commercial registration and video, photographic evidence.

kiwimex
24-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Here is the regs...

So the answer is NO, there is NO commercial fishing allowed on these reefs, we deployed them for recreational use only. Please report immediately any commercial fisher you see on or near these reefs.

Same information I have read up on as well Lucky_Phil.

bowds13
24-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Sorry kiwimex, reading back on my post it sounds like I was having a dog at you. Meant it more of if he wants to think he's the king of the ocean then go fish some where else and cross your fingers he gets what's coming.

kiwimex
24-07-2014, 10:49 PM
No worries bowds13 didn't take it as a dog at me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy
25-07-2014, 08:25 AM
I did go to another mark...! But thats not the point. I was fairly sure of what I read the night before. I knew the prick was up to no good..! I did let him know it was a no anchoring zone, to which he replied F you, you w..ker. Im a commercial fisherman and Ive been fishing here for ever.

Well you know what champ (I hope you read this forum) I have your boat details, commercial registration and video, photographic evidence.

Good one, hope you decide to do as Phill suggests and hand the evidence over to the authorities or else this bloke just keep doing what he likes.