PDA

View Full Version : Trailer warning

chris69
21-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Just was talking to a traveling tackle sales men and he was saying that a heap of guys at burrum were pinged for not haveing a tested shackle on there chain.

aussiebasser
21-07-2014, 01:42 PM
I wonder where I stand using the standard shackle supplied by GMH with my tow bar? It doesn't have anything written on it, but it came with my 1600kg rated tow bar.

Are you sure this isn't another "ute cover" story that can't be substantiated?

chris69
21-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Yer Dale haveing a tested shackle with out tested chain or even a tested safty chains anchor point to the trailer dont make sence to me.

And no good source.

tjotter
21-07-2014, 04:14 PM
tested shackles 1Ton $5, 2Ton $6, etc
eg http://www.bunnings.com.au/romak-10mm-galvanised-d-shackle_p2260235

shaungonemad
21-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Just was talking to a traveling tackle sales men and he was saying that a heap of guys at burrum were pinged for not haveing a tested shackle on there chain.

Did he happen to have tested shackles for sale.

stevej
21-07-2014, 08:25 PM
my kart trailer was checked on the hume from canberra to sydney 18 months ago so very plausible

peterbo3
21-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Yer Dale haveing a tested shackle with out tested chain or even a tested safty chains anchor point to the trailer dont make sence to me.

And no good source.

Here is a source.

www.tmr.qld.gov.au

Enter "safe towing" in the search box & open the PDF in the drop down menu.
(http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au)
Perhaps the tackle salesman was not full of it.:o:o

fisho64
21-07-2014, 11:24 PM

And no good source.

ADR is for your chain to test/stamped on the links, dunno if Queensland is exempt from that? But its certainly checked here in WA during licencing and roadside checks.

rayken1938
22-07-2014, 06:29 AM
I have had 2 new towbars fitted over the last 4 years and in both instances they were fitted with tested d shackles.One was a factory Honda and the second an after market hayman reese.
For the doubters the transport guys are quite regularly in Colburn Avenue ,Victoria Point pulling vehicles into the skateboard park parking area and are very thorough in their inspections.For minor things you get a warning to fix it but for anything major be prepared for a ticket and having to tilt tray your boat/trailer home.
They do seem to concentrate on over weight/size rigs who get no leniency at all.
Check out the rigs of all the local pro crabbers they are all spot on.
It all comes down to safety for yourself and other road users not revenue raising.
Cheers
Ray