PDA

View Full Version : Trade in Yamaha 115 v4 2 stroke 2009

NewtoAus
20-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi guys I have a 5.25 revival cuddy cab (fibreglass) powered by the above named. It's a good motor and runs well. But I am considering a 4 stroke. My yammy only has about 80 hours on it and I purchased boat and motor from a mate who got both brand new.

This is my first boat so just wondering if anyone knows what sort of trade in value I might get for a motor like this and any recommendations for replacement etc. expert advice from some seasoned boaties is always welcome.

ozscott
20-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Should get a fine price for it. Bulletproof motor. You might be surprised what people will pay. Have you worked out how much fuel the changeover cost would buy? It's a VERY reliable motor you are giving up...is it a range issue!

Cheers

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jarrah Jack
20-07-2014, 09:37 PM
He may be sick of the fumes and noise Oz, which you're immune to by now.:D

Chimo
21-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Pity he hasn't got two of them, maybe Oz you could grab it as a spare for yours?

NewtoAus
21-07-2014, 07:33 PM
It is pretty noisy and as you say you know by the smell it's a 2 stroke. Also it struggles at idle speed and tends to cut out. Starts up again but annoying and makes slow trolling a pain as does not like the speed. Is that just an issue with mine? If so any ideas why it might be?

ozscott
21-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Mate it indicates crap in the carbs...idle circuits. Simple cheap fix by cleaning. I have had 2 yam 115s....they idle smoothly and troll all day. Cutting out is classic dirt issue. If you run Merc Premium Plus oil virtually nil smoke and smell when warmed up and a lot less on cold start versus cheap oil. As quiet as an Opti but yes louder than a 4 stroker.

Jarrah...yes I'm immune! But not to the lack of maintenance bills ;)

Chimo...if they didn't last so bloody long I would! Mines only a 2000 model though as is like new to look out and run...,!

Cheers boys

NewtoAus
22-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will get on to some of that oil ozscott. Being new to boats I have never had to clean carbs on an outboard. Is this something to take to a motor mechanic or is it easy enough todo yourself with the right instructions etc?

also where is the best mechanic for servicing etc around the bay out of interest, I have only been living around the bay for a year. I live in Newport on Redcliffe peninsula, any recommendations?

ozscott
22-07-2014, 06:31 PM
If you are not mechanically minded mate dont try it yourself. I recommend Cooparoo Marine, Merc dealer off Cav Road - see the owner Michael. However its a long way for you. There must be someone good up there.

Cheers

LittleSkipper
22-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will get on to some of that oil ozscott. Being new to boats I have never had to clean carbs on an outboard. Is this something to take to a motor mechanic or is it easy enough todo yourself with the right instructions etc?

also where is the best mechanic for servicing etc around the bay out of interest, I have only been living around the bay for a year. I live in Newport on Redcliffe peninsula, any recommendations?

If your looking for a reputable service agent you can't go passed the guys at Brisbane Marine on Duffield Rd, Clontarf Qld. Google for there website.

Top notch customer service.

hainsofast
22-07-2014, 06:42 PM
that is an awesome motor, PM me if you ever want to sell it, I got a 2001 150 version of them, great motor, has never missed a beat, and I run the merc premium oil in it, idles great.

NewtoAus
22-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks again guys. I will give Brisbane marine a call. Thanks for the tip.

rodneyk
22-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Sounds like it needs 100hr service why take it to a merc dealer when there is Northside marine or Brisbane Yamaha and just tell them what its doing wrong sounds like someone has fiddled with carbys ????? pretty good motor really with no hours . Ring and get rough price first.

NewtoAus
22-07-2014, 08:39 PM
It was serviced when i purchased it, so only about 10/20 hours since then. But take your point Rodneyk and I will get a few prices. But Brisbane marine would be most convenient.

Only visited brisbane yamaha once when I was looking to buy my current boat. Did not think much of the approach etc. but willing to give them a go, service department is different to the sales guys I guess, you used them Rodneyk?

ozscott
23-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Sounds like it needs 100hr service why take it to a merc dealer when there is Northside marine or Brisbane Yamaha and just tell them what its doing wrong sounds like someone has fiddled with carbys ????? pretty good motor really with no hours . Ring and get rough price first.

Because the carbs are not rocket science...plus they have done my 2 yammies carb cleaning and servicing very well. Personal experience trumps generalisations matey. I agree if there is a good local go to that.

Cheers

hainsofast
23-07-2014, 03:52 PM
def go Northside over Brisbane Yamaha

stevebris
23-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Brisbane marine are the guys I use and recommend. They are thorough and the prices are fair! I can't say the same for Northside Marine!

rodneyk
23-07-2014, 05:17 PM
It was serviced when i purchased it, so only about 10/20 hours since then. But take your point Rodneyk and I will get a few prices. But Brisbane marine would be most convenient.

Only visited brisbane yamaha once when I was looking to buy my current boat. Did not think much of the approach etc. but willing to give them a go, service department is different to the sales guys I guess, you used them Rodneyk?

Never used either one understand that one is convienent from what u said would be interested to know who previously serviced the engine .As for carbys not being rocket science correct but amazing how many service centres still don't get it right .I suppose just depends who does the service how he feels on the day ( MOST importantly what he thinks of the brand )

hainsofast
23-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Brisbane marine are the guys I use and recommend. They are thorough and the prices are fair! I can't say the same for Northside Marine! we all have our own opinions, in my opinion Northside are great, top blokes that know their stuff.

stevebris
23-07-2014, 08:35 PM
we all have our own opinions, in my opinion Northside are great, top blokes that know their stuff.

I thought that until I had issues with servicing and pricing. Went to Brisbane Marine and well I'm about to purchase ban outboard for my new boat from them. All that needs to be said.

hainsofast
24-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Not really Steve, there are always two sides to a story, I have several friends that have bought new outboards from northside and I deal with them regulary, you sure you don't work for Brisbane Marine?

fisho8
24-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I have delt with both Brisbane marine and Northside Marine and have found them to be both really easy and great to deal with. I have had a mate of mine get his 130hp Yammi serviced at bris marine and their were no dramas whatsoever. Warren and the boys down there is are great mechanics. Steve and Graham down at Northside are also great to deal with and know their stuff aswell. There is really no need to turn this blokes simple question into a slagging fest. They are both great dealerships and yes everyone makes mistakes.

stevebris
24-07-2014, 01:47 PM
This is not a slag fest, rather a forum to discuss our opinions and experiences. Hainsofast, no I don't work for Brisbane Marine or have any personal ties. I am just a satisfied customer showing my appreciation. As a former customer of Northside Marine, I am showing my dissatisfaction. I find it rather humorous that you would sink to allegations of bias.

hainsofast
24-07-2014, 01:56 PM
mate you are weird, what did Northside do to you that was so bad?

stevebris
24-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Failure to fix issues and continued visits. Over priced work and services. Services seemed like they were done by a 1st year apprentice. Simple shit like old hardened grease was not removed and new grease smeared over the top. Claimed they replaced plugs and didn't. Showed them the marks I put on them prior to service. Want me to go on?

hainsofast
24-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I reckon you are full of it

stevebris
24-07-2014, 04:32 PM
I don't give a #### what you think.
Sorry for the thread crap op.

hainsofast
24-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I reckon there is more to the story that we are not privy to on ausfish

stevebris
24-07-2014, 09:14 PM
So now I see why you are trolling me!
You don't like my comment in the shafters thread!
Get a life.