PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Renegade 420 Motor options

hazza80
20-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Having owned my Yalta 535 All Rounder for a few months now, I'm quite happy with it, however being a 'bigger' boat for me, I can't take it out for a quick flick after work or down the creek when the weather isn't great, or just for an impromptu voyage. It takes another person to help with the retrieve (for me) and a bit of planning. So, I'm looking into acquiring a tinny that I can duck out with whenever the chance arises without any planning; solo and/or with the family. Although I was originally budgeting for around $5-8k (second hand), I then began looking at up to $12k (second hand/new), and currently looking at around the $16-18k mark (and not going ANY higher!).

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 420 Renegade tiller steer. My question is whether to put a 40hp or 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha on. I won't be taking the underfloor tank option (as I want to keep costs down, plus I have the Yalta for the bigger trips), is there much difference between the 40 and the 50 in fuel consumption? I'd also prefer to keep the weight down - looks like a difference of about 13kg. Mostly it would be myself, with a minn kota 55lb and 120ah battery, etc.... when the family are in, not concerned with top speed.... and probably only one other bloke at times.... so I think the 40hp would be fine, BUT at the moment it's only an extra $600-700 difference (or a couple of extra months repayments!) for the 50hp.

From what I've been reading on here, most seem to match the hull to the 50hp 4 banga, and are happy... and are able to manage fine with the standard 24L tank (plus no doubt take a small jerry with too). Suppose I'm talking myself into the 50hp, just frightening watching the budget continually increase, for a secondary boat, but I guess it will be a pleasant boat in its own right.

Seahorse
20-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Hazza
I bought the 420 2months ago.

great boat, plenty room. I just take a 25 lt plus spate 10 lit. They are in compartment down the back.

I ended up going the 50hp 4 stroke yammy.

The 40 prob would had been alright, but i just wanted the max.

Its great on fuel. Iam just talking about a foil for it. Not to bad with myself , but with more guys, the 4 stroke just digs in a bit.

top speed so far is 56 kph. They certainly handle the chop. I had a 455 seajay, same motor, same lay out, about 3 yrs ago.

the quintrex is definately a better riding boat.

I paid $16000 for, boat,motor,trailer.

cheers
greg

hazza80
20-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Seahorse....talking about Sea Jay, the Sea Jay 425 Avenger is another option (as is the Stacer Outlaw and Stessco sfx430), but I keep coming back to the Renegade. The foils certainly do make a difference on getting to the plane... had to put one on my last small tinny. I got one with my current Yalta rig.... it's a 115 Yam 4 stk but I haven't put it on as I have found it reasonable at getting on the plane (1400kg glass boat!). Only concern with the foils is I think they can cause issues with cavitation (I remember my 525 Seahorse hehe, had a 60 Yam 4 stk with a foil, and in a bit of chop it did cavitate at times).... but it got 3 big blokes on the plane easy (4 was sluggish).

56kph in a 4.2m open tinny is pretty quick! Almost the same as my WOT in the Yalta (but it has a windscreen for protection!)

The Shafter
20-07-2014, 06:12 PM
G'day Hazza

My son also just bought the 420 Renegade with the 40hp 4 stroke Yammy.
He goes out with his missus and 2 small kids and it goes well.
Prices will vary depending where you live. Up north the bare BMT with 40 4st Yammy and acc pack comes in at around $17800 plus electrics, canopy etc.

Shafter.

hazza80
20-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Cheers Shafter, I see prices do vary. I'm local to Hervey Bay, and there is a Quinny dealer here, but they package with Mercury (and the local Yammy is linked to Stacer & Sea Jay). We have family in Redcliffe, which creates the option of Brisbane Yamaha - who I think can be pretty competitive with their pricing. Good to hear your son and his family find their package works well - I think my kids will enjoy the tinny activities (crabbing/yabby pumping/ etc) more than the comfort of the Yalta!

Seahorse
20-07-2014, 07:32 PM
I bought mine from bris yamaha. Talk to peter evans. Good bloke

oldie
20-07-2014, 07:54 PM
figured your stuck on yamaha pkg, in that size its barely worth the premium when you can get a 50HP 4 stroke package in the 15's

shane450
21-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I have the 460 with the 70 yammy tiller ...... love it

definately go the 50

Towie0
21-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Knowone ever regrets going bigger with motors & i have always been an advocate for bigger motors that then dont have to work as hard. Helps longevity same deal with cars.

I have a heavy 4mm plate 4.5m floors & 4 batteries etc - i have a 60 Yam 4 poker but wish it had the 80 which is maximum for it.

Just my 2 bobs worth but hey what a decision to have to make a new 40hp or a new 50hp dam LOL

Seahorse
21-07-2014, 11:20 AM
I wanted the yammy. Could have got a merc for $15000 .

AndrewB
21-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I am looking at the 440 rather than the 420 as the max hp is 60 and the 50 and 60 Yammys are the same weight.
420 with a 50 or 440 with a 60 seems to make sense to me the 440 just slightly bigger but should be better ride for not much extra cash.
Everything I read on these boats is put max allowable hp on them.

hazza80
21-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Cheers for the feedback. It's good to hear others' experiences - I agree on going bigger, especially on a boat that is going further afield (ie. my Yalta is at its max). I went to a local Sea Jay dealer today, and they look a well made hull too. The 4.4 Territory did look a good size hull - big enough to fit family of 4, rods, esky and crab pots - yet manageable at an open ramp solo. May look into their Avenger series (similar to Renegade/Outlaw/SFX range). Have a bit to consider - but yeah, first world problem! hehe

fishychrissy
21-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Gday Hazza,
I've got a Stessco SFX but the 450 tiller steer powered by a F60 Yamaha. Same beam and hull depth as the 430 but just a shade longer at 4.7 overall.
Took my 2 nephews and their Dad plus pots and gear and still plenty of room. They're a nice strong hull too, well worth considering against Quintrex and Stacer.
Went for the max rated HP for the hull and pushes along at a shade under 61kmh at WOT.
Easy to handle solo at the ramp too.
Cheers,
Chris

hazza80
21-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I've just been chatting to a mate about the SFX range. They do look like they represent value for money. I'm heading away on a road trip in the coming weeks, so after that I'll be looking at a purchase - looks like I'll have a bit to think about! 60km/hr in an open tinny! That's flying

fishychrissy
22-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Yeah Mate, the dealer said it'll be like a missile...and he's bang on the money lol