PDA

View Full Version : Redoing the Gunwales advise needed

blairv70
18-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi all

I have a bit of paint cancer on the gunwales that I am looking to repair over the next week or so.

I am planming to remove the rod holders and sand back the gunwales and the a couple of options I am considering:

First is to just repaint after etching and reinstall new rod aluminium rod holders.

Second is to apply some rubber non slip matting on the top surface of the gunwales ala like on a Bar Crusher.

If I am to do this does anyone have any recommendations on what matting to use and how to stick them on?

It is an allly boat so also seeking views on weather to paint before sticking or just stick on the sanded back metal?

Cheers

Blair

Moonlighter
18-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Ultralon Decktread is the stuff used by Surtees and others. Like the copy that you mentioned :)

On my Surtees, the decktread is stuck down first and the alloy rod holders then attached thru it. In effect the decktread makes a gasket between the boat and the rod holder. Seems to work a treat. The decktread on my boat still looks great after more than 4 years.

You can get it from Whitworths in several patterns. Mine is the Z pattern. You can probably google other sources and maybe get it cheaper.

i would certainly do something to seal the gunwales after the corrosion is removed. The Surtees was done with Nyalic first and it seals things up nicely, but a spray can of it is pretty expensive. Some primer would probably do the job.