PDA

View Full Version : Winter whiting help?

woody74
18-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi guy's, taking the older boy's fishing at Southport tomorrow and was wondering what's the best bait for these tasty morsels. Will be using prawns and pumping yabbies, that sound about right??? And was wondering what is the smallest size worth taking???? I recon nothing under 25cm but I suppose beggers can't be choosers since there is no size limit on winter whiting, just a 50 bag limit . Any help would be great, thanks Woody ;D

shaungonemad
19-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Squid strips about 25mm long and 5mm wide works good dont use to big a hook I think I use a size 6. I hope you get onto them sometimes there are only small ones about but still good for a feed. Have fun.

pipifin
04-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I think your yabbie plan is on the money, long shank hook, light as possible line. Rod in holder and as little movement as possible..... always tempted to grab the rod at first nibble, but just wait until it is hooked.
I have a secondary anchor (actually more just a weight out the back) to hold the boat steady in the current as well.
There are few sizeable whiting still around.... my little girl got her PB yesterday, although it was a bit harder work in the wind.