PDA

View Full Version : Great Bar Crossing Video to Watch

blairv70
18-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi all

With it being quite windy out I was hunting through you tube and ound this great video about crossing bars.

It is from NZ but the main theme of the video remains the same - good to watch if you are fairly new to bar crossings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZHcu6AtstE

Well worth a look

Blair

ifishcq1
18-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Good find for anyone who needs to learn, especially from a safety point of view

bonneville
18-07-2014, 08:14 PM
blairv70, great post, and I would 100% recommend that bar crossing video to anyone !
strangely enough it bought back heaps of memories ! I couldn't count the amount of bar crossings I did at bowen town, I think it was the first one I ever did if memory serves me well. most of the east coast of N.Z requires a bar crossing in some form or another, I think the average kiwi boaty probably has more than most experience on bars, through necessity !. some of the smaller towns have the most treacherous bars ive crossed, basically the sand movement can change dramatically from one day to the next, most have tiny entrances with very fast moving water, which basically meant talking to a local before attempting and an extremely small window in which to cross. Ah, those were the days !!!!

bonneville

chocolatemoose
18-07-2014, 08:18 PM
yeah good video :) nicely put. kiwis have a bit of a knack at that

blairv70
18-07-2014, 09:12 PM
blairv70, great post, and I would 100% recommend that bar crossing video to anyone !
strangely enough it bought back heaps of memories ! I couldn't count the amount of bar crossings I did at bowen town, I think it was the first one I ever did if memory serves me well. most of the east coast of N.Z requires a bar crossing in some form or another, I think the average kiwi boaty probably has more than most experience on bars, through necessity !. some of the smaller towns have the most treacherous bars ive crossed, basically the sand movement can change dramatically from one day to the next, most have tiny entrances with very fast moving water, which basically meant talking to a local before attempting and an extremely small window in which to cross. Ah, those were the days !!!!

bonneville

Did the same one a few times too when on holiday at Waihi Beach can be a tricky one

blairv70
18-07-2014, 09:13 PM
yeah good video :) nicely put. kiwis have a bit of a knack at that
Would love to see one for our local bars

pipifin
04-08-2014, 12:08 PM
The scary part is you don't even need a boat licence in NZ.

bonneville
04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=pipifin;1559715]The scary part is you don't even need a boat licence in NZ.[/QUOTE

actually, the scary part is seeing those WITH boat licences here, do what they do !
N.Z still has more boats per capita than any other country, less marine fatalities than Australia and many other countries
I cant remember the correct termination, but more bar crossings to be done in relation to boat ramps than any other.
when any person can sit a licence that has never even been in a boat, come out qualified to purchase any trailer boat they desire,
well that's what I call scary ! A licence has as much worth to it as you want it to have ! basically nothing.
the word is soon there that every one must complete a boat handling course, and in fact some coast guard areas are inforcing a kilometre limit
for those who haven't done one.
not trying to be parochial here or anything like that, but cant stomach it when people believe that a virtual no fail boat licence here makes you better equipped, or more competant than those that don't have a licence set up .
Whats actually needed, I believe personally, is a marine licence, with an emphasis more on practical, forcing those to get practical tuition, would be hard to set up, but in some how mimicking the car licence, now that would be the way to do things.
The only other difference between here and there, when they say they'll confiscate your boat for infringements, they do !
not for a week and then a judge smacks you on the hand and gives it back, "its gone"..............
interesting topic
bonneville

metro_fisher
05-08-2014, 12:30 AM
NSW already requires a practical component to be completed.

In my opinion, it still doesn't focus enough on general seamanship (knots etc) and boat ramp procedure.

scottar
05-08-2014, 08:44 AM
There are so many components missing from our recreational "licence" it is laughable but the system is what it is and even in the case of commercial ticketing where applicants have to accrue sea time to gain experience and "learn", I have seen enough, "very experienced", people do somewhat stupid things to form the opinion that any extra training won't help anyway. Some people will always do stupid stuff in boats until the day they don't get away with it - same as in cars. If there was to be an extra "module" included in the licence my thoughts would be towards boat ramp etiquette and reversing a trailer.