PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Rocker Switch

Dignity
17-07-2014, 08:27 PM
I have a set of Minn Kota Trim Tabs however the rocker switch does not have any indicator lights which I find a little awkward at times, I found some at Boatoz that seem to be what I want and it seems to be at a greatly reduced price to what others are quoting. Is this is a straight replacement for the old rocker switch or are there other parts that that come with it as I find it difficult to understand how there can be about $400 difference just for some LED indicator lights. Also anyone dealt with Boatoz as there doesn't seem to be much info on them on their website.

Spaniard_King
17-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Pretty sure you get auto retract with the led switch, other than that yeh it's just the LEDs ya payin for. Good hey?

Dignity
17-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Pretty sure you get auto retract with the led switch, other than that yeh it's just the LEDs ya payin for. Good hey?
Garry, I always thought that auto retract was part of it but is this built into the switch or are there other components that have to be hooked into it. I think that maybe the control box is also replaced but not sure.

The plain rocker is around $50 and the general asking price for the LED's is $553, as you say there must be some gold in this switch.

gofishin
17-07-2014, 10:22 PM
I bought mine in 2008, and I remember there being quite a difference in price back then too.

Auto retract is with the Lenco brand & their LED indicators.

With the MK indicator option you are not just buying switches with LED's, they offer additional controls and controller/black-box 'smarts' and hence are quite different.

You also get two additional switches in the panel which are auto up and auto down; sleep mode (LED's off plus I think controller in standby to save power) plus the ability (thru separate wires) to provide an ignition trigger (to wake up the LED's.

From memory the LED's power off after about 30mins, but then re activate if you press the switches (to move the tabs) or start the engine etc. If wired in, the ignition trigger also prevents the lights going off for the entire time the engine is on - which is what you want obviously at night.

The auto up and down switches I find very handy. Each activates the tabs both together, either up or down. Say you have the lateral trim sorted with the STB tab down 2 bars and the PT tab down 5 bars, and you want to keep it at that balance, but need another 2 bars on both. Just press auto down once to start and again to stop when they have dropped 2 bars. Obviously same for the other way.

One press of auto down sends them both fully down.

One press of auto up retracts them both to top regardless of both tabs position.

Are they worth it? Bloody oath... IMHO.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dignity
17-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks Brendon, it seems like there is a bit of wiring and other work needed, was hoping it was a little simpler as getting under the coaming is a pain for me, literally but I guess I will manage. Boatoz has them for just under $450 whichis a good price but I haven't dealt with them and their website has very limited info about themselves.

gofishin
17-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Wiring b/w switch panel and black box (in cockpit) is via a multi core with screw in plugs, so that's easy. Bit more involved with the tabs though.

Sorry, can't help with Boatoz.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dignity
18-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure but the LED switch also looks larger, which could create a problem if I have to enlarge the existing hole although multitools are great for this sort of work so may not be too much of an issue. In my case the black box (control box ?) is under the coaming towards the rear of the boat, guess I will have to get upside down and twist around a bit put up with a little bit of pain for a couple of days after, I suspect that the wiring to the tabs will not need to be touched as the electronics should manage what the tabs actually do, fingers crossed.

Dignity
25-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Trying to get a new switch seems to have hit a rather big snag, Minn Kota appear to be getting out of the trim tab side of things and to get the part I need is getting rather frustrating as even the importers don't have any and it is now labelled as dead stock although the last shipment of this switch is due out from the States in October and no forward orders are being taken. I can't find anyone who has one and even fleabay doesn't have any, don't you just hate it when a reputable company decides to hive off part of their business and there is no concern for previous customers.

Considering the cost is around $553 plus shipping/postage I am now thinking I might be better off buying some Lenco or Bennet tabs and replacing the Minn Kota tabs because if something goes wrong with them I won't be able to get them repaired.