PDA

View Full Version : Why soft plastics get tails bitten off.

tunaticer
16-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Ok guys, I just found a good video on how fish feed from a rather technical point of view.
At 1.45 in the video is a classic example of why we lose the tails off our plastics.......fishing without a controlled sag in the line between the tip and the water gives exactly the results shown in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq48opvHsNI&feature=em-subs_digest

Horse
16-07-2014, 07:45 AM
I think that's why my deadstick usually outfishes a worked plastic

Crunchy
16-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Might be the reason why light weight jig heads work best too.

dayoo
16-07-2014, 10:31 AM
From my customer feedback soft plastics worked on a deadstick win handsdown. The right sized hook to fit the soft plastic will give you a better hook up rate. Also the jighead needs to be balanced (ie lies horizontal when held by a wire placed through the eye of the hook).
ZMan soft plastics are more buoyant than other brands and work better when deadsticking.

Cheers
Barry

royslaven
16-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Hey Horse, I like the caption at the bottom of your post, roy

Horse
17-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Hey Horse, I like the caption at the bottom of your post, roy

I thought it worth spreading the words of wisdom of one of AFs moderators. The quote was taken from the Ausfish Facebook page and for some strange reason has now been deleted.

Still_Dreamin
17-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Awesome footage. Something a bit disturbing about the kid calling him sir all the time. Freaked me out a little

Triple
17-07-2014, 02:24 PM
;D http://i.imgur.com/jedfXV0.gif

On a side note, was interesting to see the feeding at the Surat cobb n co museum and noticed all of the yellas that hit the live yabbies off the bottom (over a dozen or so) lined them up and hit the side of the head where the claws can't reach back at them. I always thought they tail hit first...

GBC
17-07-2014, 02:51 PM
At 1.45 the bait is clear of the water and the fish basically runs out of water and 'cavitates' so he ends up biting the bait? Am I the only one missing this link? Tails get bitten off because fish bite the tails off.

tunaticer
17-07-2014, 07:42 PM
The tail gets bitten because there is no slack line to be drawn into the gob of the fish......

cuzzamundi
17-07-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm with GBC - cannot understand what is being said/the link between that and the fish being tailed.

Cuzza

GBC
17-07-2014, 11:28 PM
The tail gets bitten because there is no slack line to be drawn into the gob of the fish......
That's because the bait fish is hanging in the air....how does one hang a plastic in the air and maintain slack line? If the fish/plastic was in the water I don't care how tight the line is, it's going down that Barras throat. I still jump when they hit on the surface like that, the speed and force and noise is amazing.

cuzzamundi
18-07-2014, 05:36 AM
On second glance, I see what you're inferring, Tunaticer. Still, if this held true, wouldn't the fish (barra in this case) just eat/suck in a whole lot of water via its suction effect, and miss the entire plastic? If there was no give in the line, then there'd be no opportunity for the lure to travel backwards and get sucked in, and therefore wouldn't touch the fish's mouth at all.

If, though, it's more a case of the action propelling the fish forward by not allowing the 'braking effect' to occur, then surely it'd engulf the whole thing, rather than just the end section on a regular basis.

I always thought that plastics being tailed was a result of smaller ambitious fish having a go. I recently had this happen time after time with some Gulps, and the culprits were whiting.

Cuzza

ranga7
18-07-2014, 07:24 AM
They get there tails bitten off because fish have teeth.