PDA

View Full Version : Qld Fishery review. July 2014 media release

Lucky_Phill
09-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
The Honourable John McVeigh

Provide your feedback for Fisheries review
Queenslanders interested in ensuring that the state’s fisheries remain sustainable are encouraged to have their say in a review which will involve strategic advice from leading experts.

Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister John McVeigh said written submissions could be made to MRAG Asia Pacific independent consultants who were working closely with his department on the Fisheries Management Review.

Mr McVeigh said it was important all fishing sectors, as well as other community groups with an interest in fishing, provided input into the review.
“MRAG Asia Pacific is leading the review on our behalf and I encourage anyone with an interest in our fisheries to email their feedback to qldfisheriesreview@mragap.com.au,” Mr McVeigh said.

“Submissions close on Thursday, 30 October at 5pm. MRAG will examine the submissions and together with their findings will develop a series of recommendations to guide fisheries management in Queensland.

“Fisheries management suffered neglect under near-20 years of Labor governments.

“The Queensland Government has a strong plan for a brighter future and our focus is to resolve some of the long-standing issues with fisheries management in Queensland.

“Labor didn’t have the guts or commitment to redress the problems and used band-aid approaches that resulted in little agreement within our fishing industries.”
Mr McVeigh today also announced the members of the Fisheries Ministerial Advisory Committee who will provide strategic advice to the consultants for their consideration.

“We undertook an extensive selection process and are pleased to advise that the Committee includes 12 representatives with expertise in recreational, commercial and indigenous fishing as well as fisheries and conservation science,” he said.

“The Committee will also directly advise me on important fisheries matters and on the final recommendations that will be presented by the independent review team at the end of the year.”

[ENDS] 9 July 2014
Media Contact: Louise Gillis 0408 709 160

The Ministerial Advisory Committee members are:

Mr David Bateman - Recreational fisher, Chair, Sunfish Queensland
Mr Stephen Murphy - Commercial fisher, Southern Trawl fishery
Mr John Page - Commercial fisher, Net fishery
Mr Edwin Morrisson - Commercial fisher, Northern Trawl fishery
Ms Claudine Ward - Commercial fisher, Secretary of the Gulf of Carpentaria Commercial Fishermen Association
Ms Karen Collard - Commercial fisher, Chair, Queensland Seafood Industry Association
Mr Neil Green - Commercial fisher, Net and Crab fishery
Mr Les Kowitz - Recreational fisher, Executive Officer, Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland
Mr Andrew Tobin - Fisheries scientist and commercial fisher, Line fishery
Ms Sian Breen - Fishing and conservation expertise
Mr Chris Calogeras - Aquaculture, Chair, FRDC Indigenous Reference Network
Mr Matt Barwick - Recreational fisher, Queensland Fisheries Research Advisory Board

Lucky_Phill
09-07-2014, 05:56 PM
8 commercial fishers... and a conservationist......./ . 3 recreational fishers ????

Who wants to predict an outcome ?

LP

popgun19
09-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Who chose the committee panel ? was it Minister McVeigh ?
cheers,

Brian

Mike Delisser
09-07-2014, 11:13 PM
8 commercial fishers... and a conservationist......./ . 3 recreational fishers ????

Who wants to predict an outcome ?

LP

You took the words out of my mouth Phill

aussiebasser
10-07-2014, 08:04 AM

Are you saying you trust Les, David and Matt to represent your interests?

Horse
10-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I think the ministers portfolio title says where he is directing policy.

sharkymark2
10-07-2014, 09:53 AM
I think they will have to name it the "Gonski Report" as that will be where our consideration and input will be. I wonder if we could find out how much the Recreational fishing puts into the local economy and how much pro fishing does? The flow on effect would be enormous for local communities. 3 out of 9 positions.... yeah right.

Lucky_Phill
10-07-2014, 09:59 AM
I think they will have to name it the "Gonski Report" as that will be where our consideration and input will be. I wonder if we could find out how much the Recreational fishing puts into the local economy and how much pro fishing does? The flow on effect would be enormous for local communities. 3 out of 9 positions.... yeah right.

We already know these figures.

Recreational Fishing in Queensland has an Attributable Economic Input of just under $1,000,000 per year.

The Commercial input is far less...... figures TBA...

LP.

Further, the committee members ( recreational ) were chosen from submissions made by clubs, groups and individuals. The Terms of Reference for a position made it awkward or impossible for people who work fulltime to commit to. The positions were open to the public and this process was made available and I think I even posted up the application process here on AF.

LP

aussiebasser
10-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Most of the Recreational fisher representatives represent Government funded organisations. It may be a bit hard to get an unbiased opinion from them. It's probably further incentive to submit you own feelings and ideas via the email address given.

Lucky_Phill
10-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Most of the Recreational fisher representatives represent Government funded organisations. It may be a bit hard to get an unbiased opinion from them. It's probably further incentive to submit you own feelings and ideas via the email address given.

Dave, from Sunfish..... Sunfish do not get Govt funds anymore.
Les, Stocking group... I seem to recall they get no Government funding, but do get a slice of the SIP fees.
Matt, Advisory board... unsure of the funding for that group.

Realistically, 1 fresh water rep and 1 salt.... Seems like a fair fight ??? :( :(

aussiebasser
10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
FFSAQ don't get any SIP fee funds. They are funded by the membership fees of some/most/a lot of the Volunteer Stocking Groups, these fees cannot come from SIP funds.
The address for the advisory board is DAFF (DPI & F), although Matt has done some excellent work with regard to the value of recreational angling. I think Sian Breen is a part of WWF. It seems that only nominees from certain groups were accepted as members of the Committee. Anyway, here's hoping for a fair and workable outcome. Anyone can submit their ideas.

popgun19
10-07-2014, 05:28 PM
What does old mate " Mark missing in action Robinson Mp" who told us he would stand up for rec fishos have to say about this. The LNP has over promised and under delivered big time, who to vote for next election, any ideas ?

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
10-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Further, the committee members ( recreational ) were chosen from submissions made by clubs, groups and individuals. The Terms of Reference for a position made it awkward or impossible for people who work fulltime to commit to. The positions were open to the public and this process was made available and I think I even posted up the application process here on AF.

LP

I missed your report on the application process, we only have ourselves to blame then, although what chance would we have had getting selected ?

Brian

bennykenny
11-07-2014, 06:31 AM
They are also holding public forums, I know there is one on the gold coast in about 2 weeks. 930 am on Wednesday, convenient time for us all.
Photo is not real clear.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Mike Delisser
11-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Are you saying you trust Les, David and Matt to represent your interests?

I wish you wouldn't try and trash this thread Dale, it's quite clear what I said ....... here it is again

bluefin59
11-07-2014, 06:49 PM
What does old mate " Mark missing in action Robinson Mp" who told us he would stand up for rec fishos have to say about this. The LNP has over promised and under delivered big time, who to vote for next election, any ideas ?

Cheers,

Brian

Mate , Mark and his buddy Timmy will be running around Cleveland telling anyone who'll listen how great they are and how they are going to develop everything [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13], give them a miss mate they are a waste of space ...Matt [emoji87][emoji86][emoji85]

ShaneC
12-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Based on your logic, representation within the BLA should be much stronger for home handymen than licenced tradesmen right???