PDA

View Full Version : outboard servicing past rip off

ifishcq1
02-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I met a young mobile marine mechanic recently who came out to my place and looked at my motor ready for servicing
I was dissapointed in performance of late it was also using a fair bit more fuel than the usual 1.3km/ltr average so I wanted it checked out
He started by hooking up his computor and checked all the vitals he said the motor was sound and he told me the time spent at varying stages 190hr idle, 580hrs cruise and an hour at wot, the other 90 odd hours were between idle and cruise
he undid the bottom cowel and said from the looks nothing had been touched down here for a long time
when he went further he found that the high pressure filter hadn't even been looked at
he pointed out that the colour was a dead giveaway because it was black instead of the pale blueish colour it should be if changed the amount of hours since last service
next he asked me how my top end was I told him that I had dropped quite a few revs and top end speed since the last service
I was previously getting wot 6000rpm 70+km/h and it dropped to under 5500rpm and under 60km/h
he showed me the dual stage induction butterflies that open over a set range to let more air in and boost power
at the top of the three butterflies is a bracket that was bent over the top one, holding the butterflies closed and unable to open it looked to me like it had been dropped from a height
then last but not least, the fuel filter/water seperater was too small which restricted the fuel flow
he said all these things combined were the reason for the fair drop in performance

my last service prior to this one was a major where everything was supposed to be checked and all filters replaced new plugs etc (I even supplied irridium plugs required by Honda) it cost $860, I am going to sort the previous mobile mechanic (not Aaron or Ash) and he will wish he had never heard of me by the time I am done!
this service now is costing me less than half that and Ash is a proper Honda man, he even knows Garry

Red Emperor
02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
This is the exact reason I started up my own servicing business, my aim is to halve the costs so people can do more fishing and not get ripped off. You'd be surprised at what dealers "don't do" but charge u for.

robsue
03-07-2014, 11:06 AM
for anyone interested where are you Red Emporer

goona
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi IFISHCQ1,

Sorry to hear your last experience. I to had the same problems in CQ. I wonder if it was the same unscrupoulous individual?

I certainly miss having Garry look at my motor as you definately know you are getting what you paid for.

Regards

Goona

Red Emperor
03-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Sorry should have said, I'm based in Darwin for those in the nt

Giveitacrack
03-07-2014, 04:30 PM
It is frustrating with clowns like these about.I get my outboard serviced by a smaller dealer and when I drop the boat the workshop manager goes over what is going to be done.They give all the old parts back in a bag and tradesmen do the work not kids.Could do most of it myself but rather an expert for impellers etc.Last service thermostat was just about gone so I wouldn't of had a clue.

davo
04-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Been there done that with a Merc. I had issues and the dealer said it would not be covered as I had not serviced the engine. I asked how could he tell. He said the fuel pump had never been changed. I told him to give me a half an hour. I returned with heaps of paperwork from prior services with another dealer. Each invoice stated "replaced fuel pump diaphragm". I maintain that a good local dealer overtakes brand loyalty when selecting a motor.

Dignity
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I deal with Ken Lewis on the Sunshine Coast and he does a great job on my motors, even to the point of taking off the zinc anodes and giving them a buff on their mating services to ensure they are doing the job. When I changed over to him he picked out things on the previous motor that Merc had recommended be modified but hadn't been done by previous mechanics and even on the new motor picked up where the dealer hadn't done the full test on the new motor. With all the data available on laptop these days it is a wonder that some people still try to take short cuts, they lose business in the process. He also knows the idiosincracies of most motors and tells you how to avoid the pitfalls, and he is man you can discuss any issue with openly. Gald you got yours sorted out CQ2

seashawgal
05-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Hi there,
So where is Ken Lewis? I live on the Sunshine Coast & will get my 90 hp 2 stroke Merc serviced.
Thank you
Ros

Dignity
07-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi there,
So where is Ken Lewis? I live on the Sunshine Coast & will get my 90 hp 2 stroke Merc serviced.
Thank you
Ros
Ros, Ken lives at Peachester but services the Sunshine Coast from his well set up van, saves me having to tow my boat anywhere. He is generally booked out for a couple of weeks in advance, his mobile is 0428 138 688