PDA

View Full Version : Sounder Issues

madmanjim
01-07-2014, 07:44 PM
I have a HDS 7 Gen 2 Touch with the Lowrance HST-DFSBL 50/200KHz tranducer

I seem to be losing bottom as soon I start going any quicker then 5-6 knots. Is this due to the placement of the transducer or the transducer itself? Am I better off with a 1kW transducer?

The hull is an Yalta 1800 (equiv to 535) - The t/ducer looks like it is mounted slightly left of a front strake. Does anyone have any pictures of their setup on the same or similar hull?

Picture attached - Disregard structure scan transducer.

Jsmfun
01-07-2014, 08:12 PM
mate my last boat was a yalta 1800 with a lowrance you need to make sure there is nothing forward of the trany and from the picture provided might need to go down some what keep experimenting Mine did the same i moved it down 9mm and it was great

madmanjim
01-07-2014, 08:17 PM
hey mate was yours in the same position as mine?

As for height, I might have to keep trying, but I have had it all the way up, all the way down, and in it's current position in photo.

Jsmfun
01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Yes the same position just the bracket on mine looked a lot lower than yours

madmanjim
01-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Ok thanks for your help! Looks like I might have to go a fair bit lower and some new mounting holes. Is sika considered suitable to cover the old screw holes?

Jsmfun
01-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Use the marine sealant and when you fill the holes put cardboard on the inside that way if the cardboard is wet you know the holes are not completely sealed

scottar
01-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Best option if you don't wan't to fix the holes properly would be to mount a block of Starboard of something similar of sufficent thickness using the existing holes that you can then mount the transducer a bit lower on without drilling into the hull. This can be either a permanent thing or simply used for the experimental stage and then removed to repair the transom properly

blairv70
01-07-2014, 08:49 PM
[QUOis theE=madmait is wat toojim;1555644]I is lower than thave a HDS 7 Gen 2 Touch with the Lowrance HST-DFSBL 50/200KHz tranducer

I seem to be losing bottom as soon I start going any quicker then 5-6 knots. Is this due to the placement of the transducer or the transducer itself? Am I better off with a 1kW transducer?

The hull is an Yalta 1800 (equiv to 535) - The t/ducer looks like it is mounted slightly left of a front strake. Does anyone have any pictures of their setup on the same or similar hull?

Picture attached - Disregard structure scan transducer.

104093[/QUOTE]

I would say it is way too high and you will need to move it down a fair bit.

How is the angle as well? I found a slight angle worked wonders.

When I say angle the back of the transducer is lower than the front

Darren Mc
01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Hi,
I also think it's a tad too high.
I agree with blairv70 about tilting the trailing edge down slightly.

madmanjim
01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I have ordered a block of starboard which I plan to sikaflex and screw to the original holes and use this as my new mounting pad. Will see how I go with new positioning!

dazyz1
11-07-2014, 06:32 AM
I found that the best position for my lowrance transducer was lower than what everybody recommended. I originally had the top surface of the transducer in line with underside of the boat which a couple of boat shops told me was too low. It held bottom to about 45kph . I tried moving it up to the 'ideal height' according to the guys at the shop and I'd lose bottom at 5 - 10 so ended up going back to the too low position.

Jsmfun
11-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I found that the best position for my lowrance transducer was lower than what everybody recommended. I originally had the top surface of the transducer in line with underside of the boat which a couple of boat shops told me was too low. It held bottom to about 45kph . I tried moving it up to the 'ideal height' according to the guys at the shop and I'd lose bottom at 5 - 10 so ended up going back to the too low position.awsome every one is different im glad you have been experimenting and good to see your happy with it happy boating