PDA

View Full Version : Formosa 520 - 90 Honda prop selection

Any_Weather
28-06-2014, 07:11 AM
G'day guys, just interested in experience with prop selection for the 520 Formosa? I went out with a mate yesterday and when we left I thought how easily it got on the plane, pretty impressive I thought. But then when travelling we were doing 5400 rpm for 45km/h. He then told me it revs to 6000 rpm for a max speed of 52km/h? Now I am no expert but the boats that I have owned have generally done roughly 40-42 km/h for about 4000 rpm. This Formosa just seems to be running too high in the rev range constantly in my opinion? Back at the ramp I looked at the prop and it is a 13 3/4" * 15" pitch alloy prop painted grey which I am guessing is a Honda prop. I didn't notice but mate said it was a 4 blade prop. He bought the boat second hand with only 80 hours after about 6 years. There is normally only 2 or 3 people doing day trips fishing or picnicking so not often much of a load.
What are your thoughts?
cheers
Lee

turbostx
28-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Hi mate, i have a 5.2 Sportfish cuddy with an 08 90hp honda, mine also runs a 4blade prop, a solas ss 13 3/4x 15 pitch, them figures are slightly down on what i get, mine gets about 34knots(61kmh) at 6000rpm. The difference in performance could be that mine is the efi model with 'blast' etc as opposed to the older carby 90 honda, spaniard king on this forum is a honda tech, would probably the most knowledgeable on honda props, i tried 3 or 4 props when new and this was the best all rounder, cheers col.

Any_Weather
28-06-2014, 02:59 PM
G'day Col, thanks for that mate. Yeh it is the fuel injected model but only has the alloy prop. I wouldn't have thought the flex is that significant but possibly it is.
Thanks for your reply
Lee