PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do mechanics recommend an outboard should do each year

Scott Ashe
26-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Morning All,

My Allycraft & 30 4 stroke Yamaha is 5 years old today, and I've done 106hrs in that time. I have heard a lot of people say the average KM for a motor car is about 20,000 per year, and this got me thinking what do outboard mechanics consider the average number of hours use for an outboard motor, as I've never thought to ask ?

At 106hrs I know my outboard is still a baby and has a lot of life left in it, as it is reguarly serviced.

Cheers
Scott

snapperbasher
26-06-2014, 12:31 PM
I’ve had my outboard for just on a year now. Just ticked over400hrs....

FisHard
26-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Morning All,

My Allycraft & 30 4 stroke Yamaha is 5 years old today, and I've done 106hrs in that time. I have heard a lot of people say the average KM for a motor car is about 20,000 per year, and this got me thinking what do outboard mechanics consider the average number of hours use for an outboard motor, as I've never thought to ask ?

At 106hrs I know my outboard is still a baby and has a lot of life left in it, as it is reguarly serviced.

Cheers
Scott
Im not trying to be harsh, but if that's all the use its had in 5 years, is it worth keeping??

Scott Ashe
26-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Hi mate,
I understand where your coming from but, Yes I think it is worth keeping. I have cerebral palsy and don't have a motor vehicle, so I have spent that money on my boat. Like everyone I don't get out as often as I'd like as I can't go by myself( I have a few really keen mates, but everything has to align). Besides if I were to sell in today's market they would want to give me nothing for it anyway.
Cheers

bluefin59
26-06-2014, 04:38 PM
900 hrs in 10 yrs but the last couple I have been busy working but I was averaging 100 a year ...Matt

Prowl n Wolf
26-06-2014, 05:39 PM
G'day Scott, I think you will find a mixed response from your question regarding hours. I remember reading a club marine article that said the average boat owner uses his/her boat 20 hours per year which sounds about right. On a forum such as this you would expect more as it is a dedicated fisho site. Personally I have had 100+ hour year and a crap 7 hour year.

Jsmfun
26-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Mate I try to use my boat every day of but with work and a young family I feel privileged to put around 100 hours a year on (my other wife) as my next door neighbour is single and works away I recon he has only 10 hours a year

scottar
26-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Mechanics recommend thousands of hours every year because they get to see a 4 stroke evey hundred;D Chaching.

fishychrissy
26-06-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm about 6 weeks away from my 3 month/20 hour service on my F60 for scheduled servicing.
They then say the next one is 1 year or 100 hours.
As I have a tiller steer I have no gauges but Yamaha said for $75 I can have one that lives under the cowling I think.
Would be interesting to know the figures I've chalked up already. Would probably help with calculating fuel usage too.
Cheers,
Chris

Bustedoff
27-06-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm about 6 weeks away from my 3 month/20 hour service on my F60 for scheduled servicing.
They then say the next one is 1 year or 100 hours.
As I have a tiller steer I have no gauges but Yamaha said for $75 I can have one that lives under the cowling I think.
Would be interesting to know the figures I've chalked up already. Would probably help with calculating fuel usage too.
Cheers,
Chris

you can buy cheap mx bike hour meters on eBay, they pick up on an ignition coil pulse and don't mind getting wet etc

Dignity
27-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Scott, I wouldn't worry about how many hours your motor does so long as you can get out on the water and enjoy life is the most important, as with you, family and friends timing is not always suitable for me and opportunities go begging at times.

Scott Ashe
27-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all your replies, and yes Dignity I'll take your advice mate, as I do love getting out whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Life is more enjoyable with a boat as opposed to not having one and watching everyone else get out.

Cheers

lbger
27-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Scott, put a post up asking for a few ppl in your area who would be willing to help you go out more often. get a few numbers and when you have the chance a few txts could see you putting a few more hours on the motor :)